Seafoam effect on Rotella T6 viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a recent oil analysis on my older Volvo 850 NA engine I found that 8oz (1/3 of a bottle) run in the oil for 500 miles had a relatively minor effect on the viscosity of the oil that was in at the time.

Specifically, the 100c cst was 12.7 for the fill of 1gal T6 + 1.5qt Rotella T 15-40 (see my post in the oil analysis forum for details). The original 100c viscosity of both of these is around 14.5 if I remember right, so the addition of the 8oz of Seafoam in addition to the roughly 3000 miles of shearing in the engine lowered the viscosity down to approximately a 30wt oil. Not too bad I would guess, but that's for the experts to decide.

In my searcing for info on the effects of Seafoam I wasn't able to find much more than conjecture, so I thought I'd post this for others thinking about using it or similar products.

Probably most of the Seafoam had evaporated from the oil in the 500 miles so at that point, it had little effect on the viscosity.

I was under the impression Seafoam thickened up.

I dont know why i thought that. It could be totally wrong.

I dont think an engine that has been running Rotella would really need the help Seafoam offers.

Last edited:
Makes sense then. I would do it in that case. I just meant an engine that has been constantly using Rotella.

A similar case.. I was using [censored] oil and switched to Rotella T 15w40 and before i could set out a plan to using cleaning agents it cleaned out my engine in 2 OCIs. 200K of garbage build up. Im now into the 2k mile range with the 3 Rotella OCI and the oil still looks as if it came out of the bottle.

Pretty neat stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back