Screwdrivers - which ones do you actually use?

Most screwdriver sets include a variety of lengths/sizes but most of them are either unused.....or get used for unintended purposes (e.g. prybar).

Which screwdrivers do you actually use? For me, the below screwdrivers cover 99% of my needs:

- #2 Phillips (standard length)
- #2 Phillips (mini)
- #1 Phillips
- #0 Phillips (extremely rare)
- 1/4" Flat Tip (standard length)
- 3/8" Flat Tip (long), but mostly used as a prybar.
- JIS #2 (standard)
- JIS #3 (Impacta)

Whatever cheap ratcheting screwdriver I can find that stores the various bits in the handle. It won't have the bit I need, so I take one out of the case for my impact driver. I make sure that I don't put the bit back, though, because spending five minutes locating a tool is half the fun of using it.

Philips #2 standard length all the time
Stubby philips #2
Small flat head
Medium flat head

Reactions: D60
What you need will depend a lot on what you do with them. I do general household repair and maintenance, minor building and a bit of auto repair and maintenance.

In addition to various sizes of flats, I use Robersons (probably the #11 and #12) the most. My most used Robertsons aren't well marked. The #13 is quite big and I've used it rarely at most.

Also need stubbies and jeweller's size as well. It's surprising how often I need a stubby. I have a cheap set of stubbies having a handle with interchangeable push in ends.

I have only 1 Torx (a T20) which I hardly ever use.

I got this fabulous Snap-On screwdriver as a gift from the big D. It's the best screwdriver I've ever used. I don't know what they cost but it's likely worth it.

I use #2, #1, and the occasional #3 phillips the most, followed by the whole gamut of torx bits and the occasional small hexagonal bit.
snapon 1.JPG
snapon 2.JPG

Most screwdriver sets include a variety of lengths/sizes but most of them are either unused.....or get used for unintended purposes (e.g. prybar).

Which screwdrivers do you actually use? For me, the below screwdrivers cover 99% of my needs:

- #2 Phillips (standard length)
- #2 Phillips (mini)
- #1 Phillips
- #0 Phillips (extremely rare)
- 1/4" Flat Tip (standard length)
- 3/8" Flat Tip (long), but mostly used as a prybar.
- JIS #2 (standard)
- JIS #3 (Impacta)
I find that the #2 Phillips head is my go to when working with Phillips head screws.
Back in 1986 my then BIL & his wife gave me this Craftsman assorted bit driver set. This has been one of my main go to set I use for multiple fasteners uses.

Attachments

• CRAFT1.jpg
    CRAFT1.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 8
  • CRAFT2.jpg
    CRAFT2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 8
That's a nice set of screwdrivers. I never knew a set of screwdrivers could cost that much. :unsure:
I think I paid $90 for a set of Snap On screwdrivers in like 2007. They were definitely worth it then. Got real tired of my black and yellow handled Stanley hardware store specials rounding everything. I knew the old style hard handle Craftsman were no improvement over them so I paid the Snap On price.

The internet has made the world smaller, so now I’d probably buy a set that was “good enough” without paying the big name mark up if I was doing it all over again.

Don't seem to deal with too many screws, just nuts and bolts so sockets are my main go to. For screws it's usually interchangeable bits in a driver with a cordless power tool or socket wrench.

Robertson for household/light duty. Torx for anything that is more likely to strip or cam out, such as lag screws. Philips and flat as needed when I didn't get to pick the fastener.

Back