Scratches visible after headlight restoration

I can see several light scratches after finishing up my headlight restoration. I removed the old clear coat with wet 2000 grit until hazy and then I went in with wet 3000 grit. After that, I put on the clear coat.

I think I'll just leave it be as it still leagues better than it was. However, what might I have done wrong here?

I tried at least 10 different ways to restore my RX8 and BMW. I finally settled on just rub with Mothers Wheel cleaner everytime they get cloudy which is about every 2 months. I almost never even drive at night anyway. The Mothers is supposed to be about 3k grit I thought and has UV protection.

Either you already had scratches on the lenses that were deeper than you got out with the 2000 sandpaper, or you had some grit on the sandpaper and put the scratches in while sanding.

Do the scratches look like they are the same direction as the way you sanded? If yes, it is probably the second possibility. If no, then they were probably there from the beginning, but you just didn't sand deep enough.

If you do it again, you may want to start with something a little more aggressive than the 2000 grit. Or spend more time with it, until you know all the scratches are out.

did the sanding and all with a head light I had to replace (salvage yard light) ...I just never did get it 100% but real close

How many coats of clear did you apply?
Maybe not enough clear coat.
3 coats seem to be optimal.
I've never been able to get my fogged headlight housings to look as good as many YouTubers get them to look.
I alway seem to have some fogging underneath that can't get removed and there is NO moisture under the housings(tight seal), it's just fogged that way.

Last edited:
^^^ No, mine are not that far gone. Just some light hazing as I keep on top of them.
However I do use a similar metal polish(DUB Raspberry Bling…developed by Meguiar’s) followed by an ULTRABRITE toothpaste & buffer. The headlight housings do come out good/decent but just not as perfect as I’ve seen others achieve.

Last edited:
^^^ No, mine are not that far gone. Just some light hazing as I keep on top of them.
However I do use a similar metal polish(DUB Raspberry Bling…developed by Meguiar’s) followed by an ULTRABRITE toothpaste & buffer. The headlight housings do come out good/decent but just not as perfect as I’ve seen others achieve.
This is what I used on my headlights:

Most headlight restoration kits have a polishing compound that is used with an electric buffer as the final stage before applying the sealer. 3000 grit sandpaper will leave a dull finish on whatever you use it on, paint or plastic. Did the headlights look dull or shiny when you applied the sealer? If dull then putting sealer on top of dull finish still leaves it dull. If what you see are individual random scratches then the plastic probably crazed on the inside. Corvette headlights are notorious for this.

Shining and mostly clear . I'll take it , better than before . Plan to go out for a drive and test them in the night . Using SYLVANIA XtraVision headlight bulbs . They're bright white , no coloring of the glass . Cost under $22 for a pair . Were less when I purchased them about a year ago .

Back