Current Favorite Head Light Restoration Kit ?

What are your favorite headlight restoration kits available locally from WM , Auto Zone , Advance Auto , etc. ?
I tried using wet 1000 grit sandpaper then wet 2000 grip sandpaper - while it removed a lot of "UV crud" and smoothed out the headlight surface , they still are not clear and remain dull looking. Thanks in advance !

Walmart has a Meguiars kit that is offered in three different restore abilities. Basic intermediate and a kit for neglected lenses. I went with the intermediate kit and it really improved the light outputs on my Neon. I upgraded to osram +100 nightbreakers? They are clear. The beam pattern is just weird though. The left and right sides are a different output.

I tried using wet 1000 grit sandpaper then wet 2000 grip sandpaper - while it removed a lot of "UV crud" and smoothed out the headlight surface , they still are not clear and remain dull looking.
You haven't finished. You either need to go over it with a polishing compound or use a headlight coating. And 2000 may be a bit coarse to end with. I use a 3000 wet trizact disc.

I used the Mothers kit with great results. I was lucky that I also had a Sylvania kit on hand that came with clear coat. The issue with the Mothers is, it doesn't come with Clear Coat as a last step. Make sure that if you buy a kit, that it comes with clear coat for the lens. Otherwise the lens isn't going to be properly protected and you're going to end up doing the whole process over every year.

I have tried them all and like this Meguiar's Heavy Duty headlight restoration kit the best for prepping the headlight surface. I prefer to either use the Cerakote Ceramic wipes or the SprayMAX 2K glossy catalyzed clearcoat to seal the surface in lieu of the sealant coating provided in the Meguiar's kit.

1708215676629.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, top two finishers didn't surprise me. One a long time fav and also CR pick a few years ago. The other a newer product, but similar to the long timer. I'd go with either.
So , what two brands finished #1 and #2 ? (No link) .

I would just buy CAPA-certified headlamp assemblies and be done with it. These kits are just a band-aid IMO. ;) Cheers 🍻
Lets see $30 and an hour of my time, verses $450 for the Prius two head light units and two hours of work to install them. Lets see I have to remove the bumper cover and unbolt the fenders to get the old units out and install the new ones, then put it all back together. Nah I think sanding and buffing the headlight lens out every three years is a much better option.

Lets see $30 and an hour of my time, verses $450 for the Prius two head light units and two hours of work to install them. Lets see I have to remove the bumper cover and unbolt the fenders to get the old units out and install the new ones, then put it all back together. Nah I think sanding and buffing the headlight lens out every three years is a much better option.

To each their own. I've never seen these band-aid fixes (kits) last anywhere close to three years before they've hazed over again, especially in a hot, sunny climate. I'm not saying that you're wrong, maybe you've been successful, it's just that I haven't seen much success with them. Once the layer of UV protection is gone, it's gone.

I know all about the work involved in changing out some headlamp assemblies. My son and I changing them out on my daughter’s Mazda. 🍻

IMG_6004.jpeg

Last edited:
So , what two brands finished #1 and #2 ? (No link) .
Rules regarding linking to outside content vids, too much for me to keep up with. That and 'in my observation', PF vids and info seem to really irritate a fair number of members. If still interested, go to You Tube, insert Project Farm in search bar and click. Second choice should be the recent HLR video referenced by @Warstud.

Last edited:
Well so far my headlights are still looking good after eight months. Still no change in clarity so we'll see how they look after a year. The car is going to be 15 years old in July, so there is no point in replacing the headlights, when I only plan on keeping it another three years.

+1 for Sylvania. I have used the 3m one on a different vehicle and it was so so for awhile. The Sylvania is more transparent longer.

Back