Headlight restoration Gen 1 Toyota Tundra

wdn

Today I restored the headlights on my Gen 1 Toyota Tundra. It was five steps.

1. Clean with 5% solution of LA’s Totally Awesome degreaser and leave wet
  2. Wet sand with 2400 grit sandpaper alternating horizontal and vertical passes
  3. Machine buff with Meguiar’s Ultimate compound
  4. Plastix plastic polish applied by hand then buffed out until it squeaks
  5. Wash the truck then Meguiar’s Ultimate liquid wax on headlights and hand buff
Before:
IMG_5768.jpg

After:
IMG_5780.jpg

Looks a lot better.

Tried some of the TYC CAPA headlights on a 1st gen and they are lacking compared to the OE. Price was right, performance was wrong.

The OE lights were around $150 each at the time, vs TYC at $30 each.

Has anyone here ever tried using retr0brite? Hydrogen peroxide mixed with solution and removes yellowing without abrasion.

I don’t think a bleach product will remove a thick layer of yellowed plastic from a clear headlight. You need to use sandpaper and take your time. The stuff you described is meant for colored plastic like old computer cases.

It still looks hazy to me. Do both sides look identical?

I have one headlight on the Accord with a broken seal. When restoring the headlights, one side comes out crystal clear. The side with the broken seal remains hazy and I think it is due to the inside of the lens being foggy.

Without adding a UV blocking coating, it will be yellow again sooner or later. Will have to do that to my Sequoia which has identical lights and is even more weathered.

I used Meguair‘s Headlight Protectant on top of it. It has some UV blocker in it. I don’t expect it to last forever.

I used Meguair‘s Headlight Protectant on top of it. It has some UV blocker in it. I don’t expect it to last forever.
nufinish works well at least on my headlights

I do think the driver side headlamp was not as clear as the passenger side so I did a do-over with a fresh sheet of 2500 grit.

IMG_5789.jpg

IMG_5787.jpg

Back