Scotty says two new tires go to the...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Was driving in a rental Rogue Sport in the snow. With newer tires in the back, had the rear end kick out on me making a turn, wasn't even driving that fast. I thought the deep tread in the rear was supposed to prevent this?

Yes, it will prevent every possible scary situation on a slippery road, what happened to should NEVER happen.

Was driving in a rental Rogue Sport in the snow. With newer tires in the back, had the rear end kick out on me making a turn, wasn't even driving that fast. I thought the deep tread in the rear was supposed to prevent this?

The Rogue has a slip and grip type all wheel drive. If you were accelerating and the front tire slipped, the awd system engages and kicks some power to the rear tires. Being the lighter end of the car, those tires have less weight on them, and less grip, so that bump in drive can overwhelm the available grip. When you have a lateral load from turning, then ask for some longitudinal grip at the same time, the tires may slip.

If the car was FWD only, then a sudden lift of the throttle will transfer weight to the front, making the rear wheels load lighter, and again giving less grip.

Rookies panic and lift ... experienced drivers keep their foot in it. Sometimes they BOTH crash !

Sounds like you may have still been driving too fast for the conditions. No way to escape the laws of physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back