Scotts Performance Micronic Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be prepared for everybody to poo poo the idea.

I used to have similar one "Oberg" that caught stuff the Fram did not. This was in the late 80s. No need to cut a filter up.

Oberg says the micron rating 35 is not indicative of the size that will be caught. They say it catches a lot smaller than the rating.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Be prepared for everybody to poo poo the idea.

I used to have similar one "Oberg" that caught stuff the Fram did not. This was in the late 80s. No need to cut a filter up.

Oberg says the micron rating 35 is not indicative of the size that will be caught. They say it catches a lot smaller than the rating.

I would be interested in hearing everyones opinion, especially if they don't like the idea...as long as they have some factual information to back it up. I am considering using it but don't want to spend the money if the WIX filters are just as effective.

It's a nice looking filter, however allowing particles up to 35 microns isn't that great. If you look at UOAs with particle counts, you will see what I'm talking about.

Here is an old thread talking about similar filters.

Here is info on the System 1 oil filter, with a similar concept.

I have a Trasko that I've used in the past that claims to filter down to 8-10 microns. This UOA indicates that it's not filtering everything above 10 microns, but it's a lot better than 35 microns.

You do the math, average cost for a Victory MC model is $145.00+/-. divided by the cost of a conventional filter + the time and effort for YOU to clean it. + the associated costs of that cleaning process. You'll find that a conventional filter is your best bet.

Not to mention that some of the numbers spouted on their website are extremely questionable.

Try it out with a UOA. If you don't think it works OK, sell it on Ebay. How much is the ATV worth? That would be a question on whether to run it or not.......

I have run an Oberg with a 60 micron in the past in my old Chevy. I feel it did a good job. But I never did a UOA, I barely knew they existed.

I am going to try a pancake filter that I have on a vehicle at some point. I have a 28 and 60 element to use. I am going to run a bypass that has a 5 micron mesh in addition. I won't be doing this in the near future.

I should add with the bypass I would expect the UOA to be at least decent.

Has anyone actually cleaned one of these oil filters and maybe they can tell us how long it took to clean the oil filter.

I would think this process would be time consuming, and how would you know if you got everything out of the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: slalom44
It's a nice looking filter, however allowing particles up to 35 microns isn't that great. If you look at UOAs with particle counts, you will see what I'm talking about.

Some of the WIX/NAPA Gold filter have a beta ratio of 95% efficiency for 40 micron particles. No real difference than a some of the "not so efficient" spin-on filter it seems.

"WIX 51334 has a Beta rating of 2/20=22/40" from thread below:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1448286#Post1448286

i been using these filters made by kandp engineering for scott..they are very easy to clean and my oil flows very fast as i can see it in my lincoln far faster then any paper filter including amsoil and all the rest...these have hardly no resistance. and my oils stay clean even after 5000 miles...i change my oil every 3000 miles

Originally Posted By: c3po
Has anyone actually cleaned one of these oil filters and maybe they can tell us how long it took to clean the oil filter.

I would think this process would be time consuming, and how would you know if you got everything out of the oil filter.
I have cleaned the mesh screen filters on my Trasko several times. You have to pick out a few dozen particles from the mesh with a needle, but otherwise it's clean. And I did 10k mile OCIs. It's amazing to see that your oil filter doesnt' really capture much of anything in normal use.

35 microns is big. It is the size of 320 grit sandpaper grains. It is the size of medium grinding compound. It's a screen filter. Then there is where they are cleaned, down the drain or in the yard will be my guess, along with whatever is needed to dissolve/wash the oil away. No thanks.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
i been using these filters made by kandp engineering for scott..they are very easy to clean and my oil flows very fast as i can see it in my lincoln far faster then any paper filter including amsoil and all the rest...these have hardly no resistance. and my oils stay clean even after 5000 miles...i change my oil every 3000 miles

How would you know if your oil stays clean after 5000 miles if you change it every 3000 miles?
54.gif

The price is just too out of whack for me. You'll probably retire the engine/car well before you break even. You probably won't be able to use it on the next car you own ..just due to the time frame that you need to make it pay, and the evolutions in filters heading back toward cartridge style.

It's not transferable like a bypass filter.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22

How would you know if your oil stays clean after 5000 miles if you change it every 3000 miles?
54.gif

You beat me to it, I was going to ask that too.

Originally Posted By: Newtonville
35 microns is big. It is the size of 320 grit sandpaper grains. It is the size of medium grinding compound.

Some WIX filters let 5% of particles larger than 40 microns through. Guess they are junk too.
wink.gif

I've used a Scotts ss filter in my Can-am 800 ATV for about 2 years. I've come to the conclusion that 35 microns is way to large. I changed my oil about 4 times a year so I don't think it hurt it much but I have since replace it with an OEM filter. If you are changing the oil a lot, no problem. Just make sure you clean your air filter a lot as well! There are 2 applications I can see for using this filter. 1) You are in Northern Canada and can't get parts very often. 2) You mud bog and your ATV gets mud and water in the oil a lot, forcing you to change it often (or everyday). Other than that, I'd stick to OEM or equiv.

Easy enough to find out. Somebody run a "regular" filter for a couple of changes, getting a particle count each time. Then install the "Scotts" and do the same. That'll tell ya. 'Course somebody has to spend the $145 to find out.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
I've used a Scotts ss filter in my Can-am 800 ATV for about 2 years. I've come to the conclusion that 35 microns is way to large. ... Other than that, I'd stick to OEM or equiv.

So what's the OEM's largest particle pass spec (or 95% beta ratio)?

If a WIX filter has a 95% efficiency (beta 20) for 40 microns would you use it?

Of course, I doubt Scott's actually lists a beta ratio of their stainless steel mess filter. Them saying it will not pass anything larger than 35 microns might not be the same thing as actually conducting a beta ratio test on it. If it's true that it will not pass any particle larger than 35 microns, then it's beta ratio would be just as good or better than some spin-on filters.

Well, with something like a mesh, you could probably have it work out to:

Beta 2/20 = 35/35
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back