Scirocco 1.4 TSI tuned oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone from Greece, first post in this amazing and very educational forum, I'd like to ask the opinion of yours.
My car is a VW Scirocco MK3, with the 1.4L twincharger DI motor. In many ways it should be very similar to the MK5 and MK6 GTI engine except for displacement and supercharger for low rev boost. Stock is 160 hp, now tuned to over 230 hp with the usual stage 1 mods.
I gotta say that my mileage is pretty low and in the 4 years of ownership I did only 34000kms, or 21200 miles, so engine oil changes come naturally every year with 5200 miles OCI. First change was ta 5200 miles from factory oil to M1 ESP 5w30, from which I heard great reviews. The second change was again the same oil, and for the third and fourth oil change i used Motul X-clean+ 5w30. All these oils have 504/507 vw specifications.
Unfortunately we don't have UOA here so I can't comment on engine wear much. Car is driven hard, broken in per manufacturer's guide, and never had a single problem with it. Since adding half a quart of oil after break in at 1000 miles, never had a visible oil consumption. Always allowing to reach 60 degrees oil temp on trips, and 3 minutes of turbo cooling. 85% off city and 15% city driving.
Do you think I should continue using Motul? I have a concern with intake valve deposits and Motul has 0.61% sulfated ash, is it low enough? Should I benefit from switching to another viscosity or saps? Price isn't a concern, should I continue with 504 spec oils? VW also allows 502 spec oils for fixed intervals for my engine
Also 1 thing I found out that M1 ESP is SHC oil, while Motul X-clean+ is a true synthetic, as german site of Motul reveals.
Data sheet for X-clean+ 5w30: X-clean+ 5w30
Thank you in advance

mobil delvac1 le5w30 meet or exeed all spec I have read be it on big 18 wheeler or cars.so might want to start there then find an equivalent in your part of the world (since that isn't likely to be on shelf in greece

Originally Posted By: lordoftheriffs
Hello everyone from Greece, first post in this amazing and very educational forum, I'd like to ask the opinion of yours.
My car is a VW Scirocco MK3, with the 1.4L twincharger DI motor. In many ways it should be very similar to the MK5 and MK6 GTI engine except for displacement and supercharger for low rev boost. Stock is 160 hp, now tuned to over 230 hp with the usual stage 1 mods.
I gotta say that my mileage is pretty low and in the 4 years of ownership I did only 34000kms, or 21200 miles, so engine oil changes come naturally every year with 5200 miles OCI. First change was ta 5200 miles from factory oil to M1 ESP 5w30, from which I heard great reviews. The second change was again the same oil, and for the third and fourth oil change i used Motul X-clean+ 5w30. All these oils have 504/507 vw specifications.
Unfortunately we don't have UOA here so I can't comment on engine wear much. Car is driven hard, broken in per manufacturer's guide, and never had a single problem with it. Since adding half a quart of oil after break in at 1000 miles, never had a visible oil consumption. Always allowing to reach 60 degrees oil temp on trips, and 3 minutes of turbo cooling. 85% off city and 15% city driving.
Do you think I should continue using Motul? I have a concern with intake valve deposits and Motul has 0.61% sulfated ash, is it low enough? Should I benefit from switching to another viscosity or saps? Price isn't a concern, should I continue with 504 spec oils? VW also allows 502 spec oils for fixed intervals for my engine
Also 1 thing I found out that M1 ESP is SHC oil, while Motul X-clean+ is a true synthetic, as german site of Motul reveals.
Data sheet for X-clean+ 5w30: X-clean+ 5w30
Thank you in advance

I would stick to M1 ESP 5W30!

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
mobil delvac1 le5w30 meet or exeed all spec I have read be it on big 18 wheeler or cars.so might want to start there then find an equivalent in your part of the world (since that isn't likely to be on shelf in greece

That would be step down! It is EU market and no sulphur issues in gas.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
I would stick to M1 ESP 5W30!

x 2.
thumbsup2.gif

Do you think Motul is inferior to mobil? Their specifications are almost the same, M1 is a tad thicker and motul is certainly PAO and/or ester while m1 is SHC?

Do you think Motul is inferior to mobil? Their specifications are almost the same, M1 is a tad thicker and motul is certainly PAO and/or ester while m1 is SHC?

M1 has very high flash point, and very good HTHS (3.58) while cst is 12.1
I absolutely do not think Motul is inferior but I do not think there is much difference. Also, considering extremely low NOACK of m1, probably it has substantial Ester content.

LOTR,

The VW 504/507 specification combination is such a demanding one that, frankly, any lubricant meeting it is bound to be a first class solution. The best of all worlds tends to be those that meet VW 504/507 and BMW LL-04 and MB 229.51.
All the major player provide these and so it is down to availability, cost and whim.

Regards, lim

Last edited:
Thank you all so much. I have 2 more questions. First, since I drive the car pretty hard and greek summers have up to 36 degrees celsius, do I benefit from a higher viscosity oil like 502 spec or am I fine with 5w30 504 spec oils. Secondly we have a merc a180 cdi with 1.5dci Renault motor. Mercedes recommends 229.51 oil while renault recommends rn0720 acea c4 oil. Which one is better? Also oci by manufacturer is 30000kms, and the car is daily driven on highways with no city use, when should I change the oil?

LOTR,

Bear in mind that when at operating temperature all of our engines run much, much hotter than 36C and that your engine was designed to use xW-30 engine lubricants.
Although your A-Class has an engine that originated with Renault, Mercedes-Benz has adopted it, installed it in their cars and renamed it as an "OM607" thus I would follow M-B's advice as per their handbooks and data sheets, which is for 226.51, 229.31, 229.51 or 229.52.
So it seems your optimum lubrication solution is a 5w-30 oil that meets both VW 504/507 and MB Approval 229.51. There are many available (Castrol, Shell, Mobil, Fuchs, Motul, etc)
As regards oil change intervals, I would abide by the manufacturer's recommendation and use good quality fluids and filters.

Regards, lim

Thank you all so much. I have 2 more questions. First, since I drive the car pretty hard and greek summers have up to 36 degrees celsius, do I benefit from a higher viscosity oil like 502 spec or am I fine with 5w30 504 spec oils. Secondly we have a merc a180 cdi with 1.5dci Renault motor. Mercedes recommends 229.51 oil while renault recommends rn0720 acea c4 oil. Which one is better? Also oci by manufacturer is 30000kms, and the car is daily driven on highways with no city use, when should I change the oil?

You are fine with VW 504.00/507.00.
I used 0W30 in much higher temp. conditions.
I know Greece climate very well, you will not have issues.

Thank you all. So I am sticking with motul 8100 x clean+ with 1 year oci (5200miles) for my VW and mobil 1 esp 18000 mile oci for the mercedes a180 cdi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back