School me on travel trailers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 02SE
An Airstream sounds great, if only they offered what I was looking for in an RV.

OT, I got a last minute getaway(kids taken care of) to Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park and the only thing available to stay was an Air Stream in a campground. My wife's face looked at little down going into the campground until we pulled up and into an Air Stream with water views. Wow!

Originally Posted by TheTanSedan

Those unibody cars we had easily lasted 12-years or 200k. And those trailers were each in excess of 7,000-lbs. 1,100-lb tongue weight. Which is no challenge if one understands how a weight-distribution hitch works. (97% don't. You won't find it on Stupid Tube). Low center of gravity plus better suspension & steering sophistication are what's wanted.

I can't argue with what you said but I have to wonder what unibody car you used that could tow in excess of 7k.

Originally Posted by supton

Those unibody cars we had easily lasted 12-years or 200k. And those trailers were each in excess of 7,000-lbs. 1,100-lb tongue weight. Which is no challenge if one understands how a weight-distribution hitch works. (97% don't. You won't find it on Stupid Tube). Low center of gravity plus better suspension & steering sophistication are what's wanted.

I can't argue with what you said but I have to wonder what unibody car you used that could tow in excess of 7k.

Not here in the states, but in Australia I know guys doing it with Caprices. Long wheel base 355hp 400 ft/lbs of torque, big brakes.

I have no doubt my car will move 7500 lbs, just not 32 feet. Under 25? Most likely.

Now that I think about it, dad did tow with an Astrovan, which was mostly unibody. And I think the Ridgeline is in the same boat. But I don't think either is/was rated for 7k. Maybe for overseas, what with our derated capacity.

Not familiar with the Caprices. Haven't followed cars much, domestics especially, for a long time. Stopped when Caprice went aero. I think that was still full frame with decent towing (if not vastly less power than yours!).

Originally Posted by ls1mike

Not here in the states, but in Australia I know guys doing it with Caprices. Long wheel base 355hp 400 ft/lbs of torque, big brakes.

They might be doing it, but they're not doing it legally... 7000lbs is 3175kg, maximum tow weight for a Caprice/Commodore is only 2100kg...

I wonder if he is one of Andy Thompson's cultists. Andy has a business setting up cars to tow trailers well in excess of anything any rational person would tow with said cars. (Like a 31' Airstream behind a Dodge Intrepid, or a 34' behind a minivan!) He has an absolutely RABID cult that would have made Jim Jones envious, and is the best argument I have ever seen for requiring special licensing and inspections for all towing.

Originally Posted by hpb

They might be doing it, but they're not doing it legally... 7000lbs is 3175kg, maximum tow weight for a Caprice/Commodore is only 2100kg...

I don't disagree. I am on a few Holden boards on Facebook and it amazes me what the tow with the Big V8 unibody cars down there.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

I wonder if he is one of Andy Thompson's cultists. Andy has a business setting up cars to tow trailers well in excess of anything any rational person would tow with said cars. (Like a 31' Airstream behind a Dodge Intrepid, or a 34' behind a minivan!) He has an absolutely RABID cult that would have made Jim Jones envious, and is the best argument I have ever seen for requiring special licensing and inspections for all towing.

Is he the Can-Am guy from Canada?

Yeah that's him. His combinations are interesting to say the least. Don't know if I'd do some of what they show but I've found a lot of the "Internet wisdom" about towing to be a lot of hot air with little practical experience.

Of course we used cars. Still the better tow vehicle over any pickup. The name of the game is stability which pickups don't have. They're the worst thing on the road as far as that goes.

I'm sorry but that is one of the most idiotic statements I have ever read.

That's why I think he is a Thompson cultist. That is one of Andy's constant refrains, along with other great tow vehicles: minivans. Honestly, I think the dude belongs in prison.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high

Of course we used cars. Still the better tow vehicle over any pickup. The name of the game is stability which pickups don't have. They're the worst thing on the road as far as that goes.

I guess that's why in RV parks I see 99.99% tow vehicles being pickups...........

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by oilpsi2high

I guess that's why in RV parks I see 99.99% tow vehicles being pickups...........

Yeah but is that in America? I wonder what you'd see overseas, I think the UK has a bit of a camping culture (not sure about down under).

Jarlaxle

Sux to not understand basic physics.

Sux worse to get into name-calling on a subject any high schooler could prove you wrong.

Let everyone think you a fool, or open your mouth and prove it?

As you've never driven a well-sorted rig where both vehicles are of "best design" OR properly-hitched, why you offer an opinion no one would want to consider is the mystery.

Show us the tests. The scale tickets. Anything at all.

Last edited:
Campgrounds full of pickups. And the same 99% who can't get hitch rigging correct.

Is either a recommendation?

The family tow vehicle is one that best suits solo duty. And can also tow a trailer.

But you'd rather put your family in a vehicle that is likelier to be THE CAUSE of the accident. What does it say about your judgment?

Last edited:
Dodge & Chrysler full size. GM & Ford were poor choices until the end of the 1970s. Drivetrain, Steering, handling & braking were sub-par by comparison.

Originally Posted by itguy08
Yeah that's him. His combinations are interesting to say the least. Don't know if I'd do some of what they show but I've found a lot of the "Internet wisdom" about towing to be a lot of hot air with little practical experience.

Originally Posted by itguy08

What's online is horrible. No brains echo chamber. COMPLETE FAILURE TO TEST (easy as pie testing).

Experience is great. How this works was something I was taught beginning in 1968 after the REESE Dual Cam Weight Distributing Hitch had come out.

Stability IS the name of the game.

A pickup can't negotiate emergency maneuvers past 55-mph. TOWING MAKES IT WORSE.

And none of them are as safe as their better alternatives past 60. Irrelevant who is at wheel (you want to PROVE yourself a fool).

I have no doubt my car will move 7500 lbs, just not 32 feet. Under 25? Most likely.

It's not the weight. It's the AERO QUALITIES that matter. We can build a 3000 lb trailer an F650 couldn't get above 45-mph.

Sure, a family car is slower up the hill. So? Only the downgrade matters

One doesn't spec a vehicle for .002% of its miles. LOWEST RISK BY DESIGN is what matters.

Etc

Last edited:
Dodge & Chrysler full size. GM & Ford were poor choices until the end of the 1970s. Drivetrain, Steering, handling & braking were sub-par by comparison.

GM wasn't too bad if you were careful with equipment. There were some reasonably suitable camper specials in General Motors in the 3/4 ton range with appropriate suspension and steering. Of course, as you've alluded to, setting something up right and choosing something appropriately equipped helps. Driving it right doesn't hurt, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back