Schaeffers All-Trans fluid has been updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be old news to some but...

Today I opened my new case of All-Trans Supreme 204 Schaeffer’s
The first thing I noted was a different label from my 2 year old bottles. The words "semi synthetic" have been removed and "Full Synthetic" has taken its place.

Nissan Matic-J has now been added to the Nissan Matic-D recommended ATF list.

These may not be the only changes but the ones that effect me as I own a 350z which calls out the hard to find "Matic-J"

Other owners of 350z, G-35 etc may find this helpful in the search for transmission fluid...

Schaeffer's 204SAT also has a VI of 196. That's 28 points higher than Castrol Transynd's VI of 168.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
Schaeffer's 204SAT also has a VI of 196. That's 28 points higher than Castrol Transynd's VI of 168.

Higher VI isn't necessarily a good thing.

Higher VI could simply using more additives. Higher VI fluids could shear more if VII/VM is the cause. It depends on what is used to make the higher VI.

I never really found matic-j hard to find.

I expect the Schaeffers to be a superbly performing ATF.

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob

One of the reasons Transynd has such a "low" VI is that it doesn't use any VI improvers. The VI is solely the product of the high VI base oils used. It's the same with Amsoil's "version" of Transynd: VI is 171. Amsoil's Quick Shift ATF has no VI improvers and a VI of 133.

With a VI of 196, I'd be willing to bet the Schaeffer's fluid is using VI improvers.

One other item I've noted. This ATF has a very noticeable fish smell when you open the bottle.
I remember back in the 1970's they banned Whale oil use in ATF,
well this Schaeffer's sure has the smell...

Scheaffer's aren't whalers. They use synthetic fish in the ATF.
wink.gif

Fish is a fine ingredient, whether conventional or synthetic.
Just omit the mercury and lead.

Ok, enough of that.

Do you have a nearby dealer where you can get only 12 quarts?

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Scheaffer's aren't whalers. They use synthetic fish in the ATF.
wink.gif

Fish is a fine ingredient, whether conventional or synthetic.
Just omit the mercury and lead.

Ok, enough of that.

Do you have a nearby dealer where you can get only 12 quarts?

I live in the St.Louis area about (40 miles) from where Schaeffer's is made so getting it is not a problem. One of the guys in our car club is a dealer so we just order it from him. The last order was around $700, 5 guys I work with at Boeing put together an order. A case of 12 is not a problem. If you need his phone number let me know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back