schaefferoil or Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Linctex
I could never, ever, ever, ever, in good faith pour an oil into any engine I care about that carries metallic tungsten around with it.

Someone, please tell me how tungsten in your oil is a good thing? I can almost guarantee you.... it isn't.

I's not metallic tungsten shards.

Basic chemistry is needed here.

Who in their right mind would use either of those oils for a 5k OCI? Get Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Plat with rebates and save some bucks. Even SuperTech synthetic would be more than good enough for that. You need at least a minimum 10k OCI to justify the cost of Amsoil or Shaeffer.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
, order Ravenol DXG 5w30 from amazon or blauparts, as it is dexos1 & has tungsten

I could never, ever, ever, ever, in good faith pour an oil into any engine I care about that carries metallic tungsten around with it.

Someone, please tell me how tungsten in your oil is a good thing? I can almost guarantee you.... it isn't.

Because it is a Dialkylammonium Tungstate a form of Tungsten that is Multi-Functional in that it provides high temperature Friction Reduction, Antiwear, and Antioxidant capabilities.

Originally Posted by jongies3
Who in their right mind would use either of those oils for a 5k OCI? Get Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Plat with rebates and save some bucks. Even SuperTech synthetic would be more than good enough for that. You need at least a minimum 10k OCI to justify the cost of Amsoil or Shaeffer.

There are a LOT performance car owners not even going 5k miles on their oil. I will run supertech in my daily truck but not in my toy. Lol

Originally Posted by Trav
That would have to be pre 1966 if I had to guess. It is Wakefied-Castrol not post 1966 Burmah-Castrol. It also has a Royal Warrant to the Queen so it has to be after 1952.

Out of interest's sake, Trav, our Castrol is still distributed by Wakefield.
wink.gif
Doug Hillary thought that was a blast from the past!

I order my Schaeffer thru a rep and it costs me 120$ for a 5 Gal pail or 6$ a quart. Not bad in my opinion.

If I actually ran Amsoil for a 5k OCI, I would save money...

But I change my oil every 6mo.

Originally Posted by Garak
That would have to be pre 1966 if I had to guess. It is Wakefied-Castrol not post 1966 Burmah-Castrol. It also has a Royal Warrant to the Queen so it has to be after 1952.

Out of interest's sake, Trav, our Castrol is still distributed by Wakefield.
wink.gif
Doug Hillary thought that was a blast from the past!

I didn't know that, it seems they now distribute the brand the once owned, is that right?

http://www.wakefieldcanada.ca/

At regular retail pricing I suppose. But most that use Schaeffer or Amsoil either have a commercial account (Schaeffer) or preferred customer account (Amsoil). I have both. Both brands include free shipping to my front door. So anyone wanting to compare pricing has to throw in the fuel and vehicle cost to go purchase their oil at a store to make the pricing equitable for comparison. For me, the nearest store for oil purchasing is over 12 miles away. So if I were to drive to town and buy my motor oil, that would be about 2 gallons of gas in my 3/4 ton pickup So just under $6 additional cost. Not counting wear and tear on vehicle.

And I do use Schaeffer in my pickup truck for only around 3500 miles on average. Reason? That is an annual oil change for that 3/4 ton pickup. In my bigger truck, oil changes are 450 hrs / 22,500 miles. The wife's Caddy, the Pennzoil conventional gets changed at roughly 7000 miles.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

If I actually ran Amsoil for a 5k OCI, I would save money...

But I change my oil every 6mo.

Then M1, Pennzoil, Valvoline or Castrol synthetic would all do fine. It's your money, but I wouldn't waste it on expensive oil if you're going to dump it as often as you will. Use that to modify the car instead! Another thing you need to keep in mind is if the car starts to burn and or leak oil you'll need to keep extra quarts of Amsoil or Shaeffer on hand for top offs because you won't walk into any Walmart or parts store and buy that stuff off the shelf. That's one of the main reasons I stick with M1, it can be picked up virtually anywhere, even a lot of gas stations carry it.

I didn't know that, it seems they now distribute the brand the once owned, is that right?

I'm not sure completely about the history, but I believe that someone just obtained the rights to the name and the colours and so forth here. The site says the company was founded in 2005, so it would seem it's not the same historical entity running as an ongoing concern over the years.

No matter what, someone was certainly clever enough to see the historical tie in.

Why not try both? I've read a lot of positive reviews and white papers about Schaeffer's and already have some to try. However; Pablo (BITOG sponsor) will give you a great deal if you decide to go with Amsoil. I've used Amsoil severe gear among other items.

Redline motor oil has really impressed me. But, it has a select following and it's applicable purposes.

Originally Posted by Onetor
Why not try both? I've read a lot of positive reviews and white papers about Schaeffer's and already have some to try. However; Pablo (BITOG sponsor) will give you a great deal if you decide to go with Amsoil. I've used Amsoil severe gear among other items.

Redline motor oil has really impressed me. But, it has a select following and it's applicable purposes.

They are both good oils but for half the money or less I can get other full synthetic oils that are as good or so close its not worth arguing about.

Maybe half the cost of Amsoil but not Schaeffer. I get mine for 6$ a quart, just about the same as Walmart oils. I buy mine by the 5 Gal pails for 120$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back