schaefferoil or Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So since few of you guys recommended Pennzoil or others from wally. So using AMSOIL or Schaeffer doesnt gives better benefits since its short OCI? Im not here trying to save my warranty, im here to find what will be better choice for what im going to use my car.

There are big price different between these oil vs Jugs from Walmart or local parts store.

Originally Posted by Trav
If you don't mind me asking whats wrong with Pennzoil?

Trav,

Dont laugh at me... im just not fan of yellow color

Pennzoil syns available at walmart are your best bet and will do anything those botique oils will do except lighten your wallet.

It's absurd to not like an oil because its "yellow" I really hope that is sarcasm... but hey, its your money, dump $150 worth of oil every 5k miles if you want!

"A fool and his money will soon part ways"

Originally Posted by s2krunner
So since few of you guys recommended Pennzoil or others from wally. So using AMSOIL or Schaeffer doesnt gives better benefits since its short OCI? Im not here trying to save my warranty, im here to find what will be better choice for what im going to use my car.

There are big price different between these oil vs Jugs from Walmart or local parts store.

I challenge anyone on here to provide actual data-driven evidence that one dexos licensed oil is better than another. I also challenge anyone to show that Amsoil or Shaeffer gives "better benefits" either, especially considering your stated application and usage.

Any price differential is not necessarily due to quality differences.

Originally Posted by kschachn

I challenge anyone on here to provide actual data-driven evidence that one dexos licensed oil is better than another. I also challenge anyone to show that Amsoil or Shaeffer gives "better benefits" either, especially considering your stated application and usage.

Thank you.

To answer your question, I have used both. My decision became more dependent on my relationship with the "dealers."

Schaeffers (I only ordered Schaeffers directly from the company to get the cheapest pricing) had to be ordered in a large $ quantity and sometimes I would run short and the local distributor didn't like me coming by and getting a few qts here and there. I could tell it irritated him.

I get the cheapest price on Amsoil if I buy 1 qt or 3 cases. (Don't believe all the Amsoil pricing you see here. I don't pay anything like some people quote. Call your local dealer and find out what the real cost is. You may want to call a few Amsoil dealers.) My local dealership is 30 miles from me and he will wait passed quitting time to help me. He's really customer oriented.

Both companies are great. Schaeffers is a Christian oriented company and I really like that. I would have stayed with them if the local distributor were a little more accommodating. But, I realize he can't have 20 people coming by his house every day or so.

Amsoil has a greater product selection IMHO.

I used to be a small business owner so I try to buy from local dealers when I can.

You will be more than happy using either.

If Schaeffers was set up like Amsoil, I would be much more likely to use Schaeffers.

Last edited:

You mean just because "I think so" doesn't present a valid argument?

LOL

I challenge you to prove my feelings are wrong.

Surely you can see my jest.....

Last edited:
Amsoil has served me well but both oils are good oils. While Amsoil hasn't officially licensed their oils in the Signature Series they do have testing that they have met the requirements as specified.

If that is enough for you to sleep at night you can feel confident in their product along with many other happy users.

Most here want actual licensing because they fear warranty will be denied otherwise.

As far as all us Amsoil users are aware there isn't one report of warranty being denied for using the product or where the product has failed to live up to the task.

Happy motoring.

Last edited:
It's just too easy for me to go to Walmart and buy a 5 quart jug for me to ever track down Amsoil in any decent quantity. If i were you I'd just head to Walmart and pick the bottle i liked most and call it a day. You really cant go wrong if its the correct viscosity and D1G2.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
2018? Warranty? Use exactly what the manual says. Are the oils your looking at Dexos certified? Personally, I don't think you need an exotic oil for your use.

Warranty matters. Wouldn't want that subject coming up if an engine failed during warranty, as GM might deny a claim based on it.
Don't use Schaeffer because its still high calcium, which make it LSPI prone, so that one is a bad idea.
Amsoil is good oil, just not a real dexos1 or dexos2 oil, again warranty fears, and there are great choices that ARE dexos1 or dexos2.

I'd do what Patman (bitog poster) does for his '18 Vette: Mobil1 ESP 5w30 until one can get Mobil1 ESP 0w40 later (or now?) since your manual allows for a dexos2 oils if you drive hard...... If you don't drive that hard, order Ravenol DXG 5w30 from amazon or blauparts, as it is dexos1 & has tungsten, moly, all-PAO+ester, great premium ingredients in an oil, or, if not Ravenol, get Mobil's best M1 Annual Protection 5w30 to resist oxidation the best. ...................... Then get Patman's choice of an oil filter, a Wix because its quality with the correct bypass pressure threshold.
Read this for the same engine: https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/em%20sga%20-%20corvette%20mobil%201%20esp%20formula%200w-40%20one%20pager.pdf

Originally Posted by StevieC
Amsoil has served me well but both oils are good oils. While Amsoil hasn't officially licensed their oils in the Signature Series they do have testing that they have met the requirements as specified.

For at least some of the Amsoil products it cannot be dexos licensed since it exceeds the maximum sulfated ash permitted by dexos. So it does not meet "the requirements as specified":

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf

Fortified with detergents that exceed the dexos 1 Gen 2 sulfated ash specification

Originally Posted by Trav
If you don't mind me asking whats wrong with Pennzoil?

Trav,

Dont laugh at me... im just not fan of yellow color

So put some rose colored glasses on and buy the Euro dexos 2, that's a nice true synthetic oil at an almost dino price. I am running the 0w30 Euro LX in a few cars, its a high spec oil with a VI that would get even Caterham worked up, its a very quiet oil with no consumption (if there was none before). AA has it but its $10 a qt.

Originally Posted by Gebo
To answer your question, I have used both. My decision became more dependent on my relationship with the "dealers."

Schaeffers (I only ordered Schaeffers directly from the company to get the cheapest pricing) had to be ordered in a large $ quantity and sometimes I would run short and the local distributor didn't like me coming by and getting a few qts here and there. I could tell it irritated him.

I get the cheapest price on Amsoil if I buy 1 qt or 3 cases. (Don't believe all the Amsoil pricing you see here. I don't pay anything like some people quote. Call your local dealer and find out what the real cost is. You may want to call a few Amsoil dealers.) My local dealership is 30 miles from me and he will wait passed quitting time to help me. He's really customer oriented.

Both companies are great. Schaeffers is a Christian oriented company and I really like that. I would have stayed with them if the local distributor were a little more accommodating. But, I realize he can't have 20 people coming by his house every day or so.

Amsoil has a greater product selection IMHO.

I used to be a small business owner so I try to buy from local dealers when I can.

You will be more than happy using either.

If Schaeffers was set up like Amsoil, I would be much more likely to use Schaeffers.

Good to know pricing on Amsoil. Thanks.

Once car goes E85, there will be no warranty from GM for me. So im actually not much worry about warranty on this Camaro anymore.

For at least some of the Amsoil products it cannot be dexos licensed since it exceeds the maximum sulfated ash permitted by dexos. So it does not meet "the requirements as specified":

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf

Fortified with detergents that exceed the dexos 1 Gen 2 sulfated ash specification

I clearly said they did their own testing. Just because GM thinks the sulfated ash is a problem doesn't mean that an Oil with it actually is.

This is GM after all, the OE that had to come out with an oil specification to fix their engineering woes when timing chains have been around forever and got by just fine on garden variety oils in the past.

If Amsoil says their oils will work where Dexos requirements are needed as they specify on their PDS then I trust them based on my previous experiences with the product. Many other folks do as well. They are not going to stake decades of word of mouth reputation on anything that wouldn't live up to the task and if they did we would see tons of people complaining and lawsuits and that isn't happening.

I did preface my statement above saying if you want actual licensing to sleep at night for fear of warranty denial then so be it.

The OP doesn't seemed concerned with this so I answered his question based on this.

Why does every thread need to go off about buying an off the shelf oil when that wasn't the question that was asked? (This part is not aimed at you KS)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
2018? Warranty? Use exactly what the manual says. Are the oils your looking at Dexos certified? Personally, I don't think you need an exotic oil for your use.

Warranty matters. Wouldn't want that subject coming up if an engine failed during warranty, as GM might deny a claim based on it.
Don't use Schaeffer because its still high calcium, which make it LSPI prone, so that one is a bad idea.
Amsoil is good oil, just not a real dexos1 or dexos2 oil, again warranty fears, and there are great choices that ARE dexos1 or dexos2.

Hummm....Id thought LSPI isnt issue with N/A direct injection motor. Wasnt issue with turbocharger DI only? M1 ESP 0w40 is same or more than a Amsoil and much harder to get than a Amsoil or Schaeffer.

Im also using WIX.

Last edited:
You don't have to worry about LSPI if you don't have a turbo... Wix is good, I run regular Wix filters for 7-15K OCIs all the time. I'm not a huge fan of Pennzoil either. I would suggest sticking with a warranty approved oil for now and have some UOAs done and if it's protecting the engine then stick with it, if the results aren't excellent, try something like Amsoil or whatever.

Last edited:
Choosing your oil by the color of the jug is probably just as good of a reason as any, how about blue, gold. silver, black etc...

Last edited:
I did preface my statement above saying if you want actual licensing to sleep at night for fear of warranty denial then so be it.

The OP doesn't seemed concerned with this so I answered his question based on this.

Yep.

First Goal is 450 rwhp and go more later down a road.
Once cat are remove then i will definitely move to something higher zinc/pho. This is why those two companies name came up (Schaeffer and Amsoil) they have few oil for high performance.

If Amsoil says their oils will work where Dexos requirements are needed as they specify on their PDS then I trust them based on my previous experiences with the product. Many other folks do as well. They are not going to stake decades of word of mouth reputation on anything that wouldn't live up to the task and if they did we would see tons of people complaining and lawsuits and that isn't happening.

No problem, but apologists for a certain brand shouldn't then say something meets "the requirements as specified" when the company's own literature shows that it does not meet the specified requirements.

It would be more ethical and less confusing if these boutique companies took a page out of the ExxonMobil PDS playbook and used the "According to ExxonMobil xxx is of the following quality level" language. I wonder why they don't do that? Clear as a bell and shows that it is the formulator stating the equivalency with no room for misunderstanding. I mean it fooled you in that other thread, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back