Schaeffer v. M1, Extended OCI?, Filter efficiency? Bypass Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 93 Ford f-150 with a 302ci with 138000 miles. I have own the pickup for the last 4 years and 60000 miles. I have ran convention oil (mainly Case IH 15w40 with 30 micron fleetguard filters) I have recently become interested in extending my OCI mainly becuase I am about to graduate from Texas Tech and have a new job with the NRCS stating this June. I will commuting about 500-600 miles per week and really don't want to change my oil every month. But I know my pickup has some wear on the rings and cylinders and a small leak around the oil pan gasket (couple drops a night).

With all that said I have recently purchase Schaeffer 5w30. Under what situations is Schaeffer the best, and what situations is it not? Should I be running 5w30 in something that is unfortunately going to have a little blow-by? What length of OCI do I need to use? Should I start out with shorter OCI to rinse the engine?
I know as soon as I put new oil in my pickup and pull the dipstick the new oil is already blackish.

I asked about shorter OCI the first drain. I want to eventually run a fleetguard 10 micron, but I don't want to be rinsing with a 10 mic filter? Should I start with a 30 mic the first drain while rinsing then increase to a 10 mic? What are your thoughts on running 10 mic filters for long OCI? What is a good OCI for 10 mic filters. What are your thoughts on Fleetguard Filters? I work at a Case IH dealer untill I graduate and all of the Case IH filters are Fleetguard and I have heard that many other brands are made by fleetguard?

What is the typical efficiency of a bypass filter? Do they only filter when the bypass is used? B/c when looking at the routing of the lines of bypass filters it looks as though it is just a secondary filter rather than a bypass? Is that correct? Can one make there own "bypass filter" if they have a filter base that has in and out lines?

I know this is a heck of alot of questions but I am really interested in which oil is the best and what filter combination works the best . Something that I might want to add is that I live in West Texas, where the dirt BLOWS! Thank you for your time!

quote:

Originally posted by rhettu007:
What is the typical efficiency of a bypass filter? Do they only filter when the bypass is used? B/c when looking at the routing of the lines of bypass filters it looks as though it is just a secondary filter rather than a bypass? Is that correct? Can one make there own "bypass filter" if they have a filter base that has in and out lines?

A Bypass Filter ALWAYS filters a very small part of the oil flow. If there is oil pressure, the BF is filtering. Its supply is from the engine's main oil-pressure galley so it's 'stealing' a little of the oil flow from the engine parts. Its very clean oil is returned eventually to the crankcase. Most manufacturers of BFs claim theirs filters down to about 1 micron; I think it depends on the aggressiveness of the advertising rather than the filters.

I've been around and understood the benefits of BFs since my teens, so I bought and installed an OilGuard EPS-10 (here) for my Porsche Cayenne Turbo. However the engine is so complicated and difficult to get to I haven't plumbed it yet. Personally, I do not like the idea of using toiletpaper rolls as filtering media, but some do. (One reason I bought the OilGuard is the elements are only $11 each which is much lower than the other filter I was considering--Amsoil, I think.)

Don't know what you mean by "...a secondary filter rather than a bypass" but I hope I've answered your questions.

BTW, above, I'm NOT discussing the dual fullflow/bypass outboard filter system systems some sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back