Scared of changing tranny fluid 94 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: imcharlescee
Thanks guys! Gave me a boost of confidence to go right up and change it. Probably will be doing it next week. Just finishing up the exams. I love this forum, I just joined and everyone seems helpful and not jerks.

The only caveat is that if it's never been removed before (or even if it had) these things can be a real PITA to remove because the drain plug washer seizes to the drain bolt and transmission body. I kept on trying on my wife's Civic and couldn't get it off without a 3/8" square head breaker bar and ramps so that I could get enough leverage. I knew it was loose with a loud snap sound; it sounded like something had broken. In the unsuccessful attempts, I had also rounded off the head of the drain bolt. I think pretty much ever Honda/Acura automatic in the past 25 years uses the same drain plug (90081-PX4-003), which requires an 18mm internal diameter washer.

You'll also want to find more info on the exact location, because some of these drain bolts are in the worst possible locations for making a mess - probably designed by some sadistic gnome intent on destroying driveways with used ATF. There may be individual tips for how to make as little mess as possible. Or maybe there's a clear path and you have nothing to worry about.

Hey guys! I just had my oil change at exactly 199,000 (around 100 KMs above scheduled oops!) but I used Pennzoil Yellow Bottle before and after it came out... oh man it was BLACK. I'm hoping that it's black since it did clean up all the gunk from this engine.

I also drained my ATF (I don't know what was in it since I got this car used) and it was.. pretty black too with some hint of red. I'm guessing it hasn't been changed for a looooooong time. So I put in my new ATF - DW1 and my shifting has been noticeably smoother and no more awkward shift jerks. Thanks so much guys for the support
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JC1
I had a 94 accord. It's easy to change the fluid. Just make sure you have a new crush washer. You also need a 3/8 ratchet or breaker bar to get enough torque to loosen the drain plug.

Use Valvoline Max life ATF Dexron III (usually available at Walmart in Canada in a 5L jug for $24 and change). Once you get the drain plug off you can wipe the gunk off the drain plug magnet.

Here's the video from Eric the Car guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7_RsnD8hAU

Eric says to use Honda fluid, but you don't need to. Maxlife is compatible.

Regards, JC.

Maxx Life is also 100% Synthetic and Honda DW1 is not.

However Eric the Car guy whom worked at Honda for I think he said over 10 years says if you have a Honda use Honda ATF, ATF-Z1 and Now use ATF-DW1.

However he did say that he has heard some people have good results with synthetic ATF
However Eric still claims its better to use the real Honda stuff.

However on on 1994 Im sure VALVOLINE MAXX LIFE IS FINE.

Also I have bought a video from Eric,

The 2002 V6 3.0 Timing belt / water pump video.... He really shows how to do this job with tools that most people do not have and makes it so you can do it here at your house.

Very good video..

However I sorta think Honda has brain washed him b/c he is all into using HONDA stuff,

Even HONDA SILICONE.. AKA HONDABOND.

I have replaced Water Pumps before on Honda 4 bangers and didn't need to use HONDA BOND.

anways..

He does do a very good job explaning how to change the timing belt on the V6 the 3.0 and 3.5 that they put in Honda Oddessy are basically he same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back