Scared of changing tranny fluid 94 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, so my mech said I'm due for a transmission fluid change since it's looking dirty. However, I got this car at 195,000 Km. and i have no idea when the transmission fluid was last changed. It's an automatic. I have the DW-1 fluid but I'm worried it may just mess up my transmission...

My transmission shifts smooth when it's really cold but it does kind of start having slight jerks when it gets warm but not too much just occasionally and mostly during slower speeds.

Should I go with the tranny change ?

Also should I look into Lucas Tranny fix?

Personally I would drop the pan if it has one (Clean and new filter) and then do short drain and fills, maybe 5K. Look into Lugegard if your wanting to use an additive.

Do a plug drain and refill and NOT a power flush. Do this 3 times over a some driving miles between. You will then have ~ 90+% new fluid without the shock of a flush. Ed

Skip the Lucas. Do a single DW1 ~3qt/l d&f, drive it awhile, 3-5k miles or so. Then do another, following the same procedure. And perhaps another if you choose. I prefer to gradually freshen the ad pack when it hasn't been done for awhile. Go for it, better than letting it stay as is.

195,000 km = 121,167 mi had to do the conversion I'm american. lol
Just like Eddie said.

Last edited:
+5 dump and fill.

I saved a tranny where the filter was clogged with clutch debris and it wasn't making enough pressure to hold the clutches. Got it in the nick of time.

Really should be done before you feel any performance degradation.

Changing the ATF will not hurt the transmission unless it's already acting up. But from the description you gave, that's not the case. So change it with no worries
smile.gif

Yes to the ATF change, no to Lucas.

DW1 is great for any Honda automatic. Right now, use the procedure that sayjac described. For future fluid changes, you only need to drain and fill once. Change it every 50k km.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Do a plug drain and refill and NOT a power flush. Do this 3 times over a some driving miles between. You will then have ~ 90+% new fluid without the shock of a flush. Ed

But of course there is really no such thing as a "power flush".

Changing old ATF on a properly working transmission, should not have an adverse effect. Particularly if the fluid is not burnt. Now, if the fluid is burnt, the seals inside are likely compromised. So changing the fluid will accelerate its demise, but that transmission was already on borrowed time.

Drop the pan and check its contents. You should only find dark sludge (spent clutch material), varnish (worn AFT), and few tiny metal specs (normal metallic wear). Should you find chunks of anything, you do have a problem. Clean everything out (pan, magnets, new filter, new o-ring) and go for it.

Shortly after the service, the ATF might turn dark again, for the detergency on the new fluid will clean most dirt inside. Don't use flush machines. Changing the fluid several times (as mentioned above), or at the radiator return line, should be all you need.

Again, if the transmission is mechanically sound, changing the fluid should not be harmful. I second the Lubeguard addition.

Last edited:
No healthy tranny was ever hurt by having its fluid changed.
You own a Honda of a generation known for having a solid tranny.
3-4 drains and fills and unless the thing really has problems, it should be fine.
Note that some knowledegable owners prefer Maxlife ATF for these transaxles.
Since we never had automatic Hondas of that generation, I have no personal experience.

Originally Posted By: Donald
An ATF change does not mess up a properly functions transmission.
This.
Originally Posted By: Donald
But of course there is really no such thing as a "power flush".
And this.
Originally Posted By: Tanama
Changing old ATF on a properly working transmission, should not have an adverse effect.
And this.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
No healthy tranny was ever hurt by having its fluid changed.
And this.

And no Lucas anything, just clean fresh transmission fluid.

Thanks guys! Gave me a boost of confidence to go right up and change it. Probably will be doing it next week. Just finishing up the exams. I love this forum, I just joined and everyone seems helpful and not jerks.

I had a 94 accord. It's easy to change the fluid. Just make sure you have a new crush washer. You also need a 3/8 ratchet or breaker bar to get enough torque to loosen the drain plug.

Use Valvoline Max life ATF Dexron III (usually available at Walmart in Canada in a 5L jug for $24 and change). Once you get the drain plug off you can wipe the gunk off the drain plug magnet.

Here's the video from Eric the Car guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7_RsnD8hAU

Eric says to use Honda fluid, but you don't need to. Maxlife is compatible.

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
A couple drain and fills is what you need, and DW-1 is the fluid you want. Just do one drain and fill every month for 3 months. I had a 95 Accord V6, the fluid was brown when I got it...it, like yours, shifted clunky at low speeds. One drain and fill and it was feeling SO much better.

Last edited:
Well, if I was you, imcharlescee, Id be feelin good after all of these solid responses, you've been taken care of!

That fine motor car will be thankful for some tranny attention, they're a great car!

I use Honda DW1,

however with yours being a 94 and so so many people have good luck with it,

I would suggest Valvoline Max Life ATF.... Its 100% Synthetic and says on bottle for Honda ATF-Z1 and your older Honda was made for ATF-Z1

You cant find the Honda ATF Z1 anymore.....

I would save the $ and get Valvoline Max LIFE

There is also Castol Multi Vehicle HIGH MILAGE, but its not synthetic.

again I would suggest the Valvoline Max Life...

If it was a 2000 or above I would say use Honda Fluid.. but with a 1994 just save the $ and get what could very well be better since its synthetic,

Honda DW1 is the USA is NOT synthetic....

Only in Canada is Honda DW1 synthetic.

strange huh?

Well let us know what you are going to do.

I bet you will like the Max Life

also I would do it in 3 changes

drain out as much will come out and that is ussually 3QTs

then replace the 3 QTs.. then drive for a day..... or even around the block if you wish.

make sure you go through all the gears.

then repeat the procedure 3 times

Also a nice inline filter would be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back