Scammer

I listed a Furnace Control Board on Kijiji (equivalent to CL) for $150 and got the text below. How is he looking to scam me? Send me a fraudulent certified cheque and then come and pick up the board before the cheque bounces? Or send me a fraudulent cheque for $200 and then ask me to transfer the excess $50 to him?
This control board is of value to only somebody with a furnace that uses this board or to a HVAC tech. I am sure the scammer was neither.
File_001.jpg

I've done AML and fraud investigations work for about the last 13 years. This is a pretty old scam. He doesn't want the item at all. He just wants to convince you that he overpaid so you'll send him back the "excess" funds. He will follow up with some sort of fake payment confirmation to make you believe you received the $200.00 and he will run off with the $50.00 that he convinced you to send him.

Tell him to send the exact amount and he will get the part only after you've verified funds are in your bank.

Just block the guy. Sometimes in my posts I put things like local deals only, no holds, no trades etc. Those scammers will try that 100 times hoping for 2-3 people to play along.

My reply to the scammer. Just having some fun.
A couple things to do is to wait a couple of week before sending the item because fake checks sometimes take 2-3 weeks before they fully bounce.

Also I got a bank check once that I thought might have been fake as they sent me a picture of it on Saturday and the check was dated for Monday. I looked up the bank and called them and they said it was real, I guess they date checks they issue on Saturday for Monday. So once you get the check, you can always ask the guy what branch it was drawn on so you can call the branch manager to see if there's enough funds in the account. They won't tell you what's in the account but you can tell them the amount of the check and they might tell you if there's enough to cover it. I bet it's all fake, either fake bank or fake account.

But I'd avoid the whole thing, you'd probably get hit with a bounced check fee.

Anyone can print up a fake check with someone else's real account number on it. That will look like a good check and cash like a good check until the account owner misses the money and/or reviews the canceled checks and realizes they didn't write that one. Then the bank has a claim to claw back the money from whoever presented the check. In a case like this where the person cashing the check has reason to think it is fake, it could be a crime.

Back