Saw a fatal today

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bike is not for me, but I'm about to get into power paramotoring. More dangerous than a car, and safer than motorcycling, but the initial investment is about as much as a new bike.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I love riding and if I’m gonna go it may as well be while I’m doing something I enjoy.

This may be irresponsible thinking but there is nothing like riding a motorcycle.

Not irresponsible thinking at all. This life on earth is highly overrated.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

As I posted in a thread a year or so back, once you have a wife and kids your bike days are over.

Not true....... just don't ride like an idiot

Originally Posted By: MCompact
When I ride I assume I'm invisible - and that any driver that can see me will try to kill me. I assume every oncoming car is going to turn in front of me if it can- and that every car on a side road will pull out on me.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

This was drilled into my head many years ago - "Ride like they are out to kill ya!"

Originally Posted By: Leo99
A lot of bikers ride as if they have a death wish. Guys going 120 mph wearing a tee shirt weaving in out of lanes and around cars. If you're going to ride, be safe.

HA! I guess you've been on the GSP southbound on a summer day.

The CR 'crews' come up soooo fast on you (and unless they are running very open systems, one cannot even hear them behind you!) that you do not even have time to move over.

Add in the left lane bandits going 50 MPH, and you have the recipe for DISASTER!

I swear one time on that road a whole crew weaved in and around traffic at 110-125+ MPH, all but clipping car bumpers and fenders.
ALL it would have took would be for one skittish, fearful driver to turn or drift even a little bit, or even twitch, and those crotch rocket pilots would have barely been road stains.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Riding a bike will make you the ULTIMATE defensive driver.

It also makes most bike riders a better car driver too because they continue to be aware of the road and surroundings, as it's an automatic thing with a good rider.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
, once you have a wife and kids your bike days are over.

A wife, 4 kids and one grandchild - I've never even thought about not riding a motorcycle. Some people love to live in fear...

You can only die once! Enjoy life, but I commend those who put their family above their own wants! Most people are too busy texting, while pretending to drive. It's sad, but almost every day I avoid a traffic crash.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

A few years ago I lived in a house that was right on the corner of a major road. A motorcyclist had been traveling down the road when a pickup truck pulled out to try to cut across traffic, the motorcyclist ran right into the side of his pickup truck and it flipped over the truck and flew about 40 feet and the rider about 20 feet. I heard the impact from inside my house and I went running outside and called 911. The rider wasn't moving and paramedics arrived. I won't describe what I saw when they pulled his helmet off. He died instantly. He was wearing full motorcyclist gear, enclosed helmet, chest guard, gloves, and motorcycle boots. We met his wife a couple days later because they put a cross outside, they had a 3 month old baby.

I'll never ride a motorcycle.

I occasionally ride my ATV but that's all alone in the desert, no one around to kill me but my own mistakes.

I saw 2 fatals in exactly the same spot, at about the same time of day, separated by a year or so.

It was a banked curve on a 4 lane highway at the end of a long straight, with Armco separating the two sides. Lots of flashing lights, a wrecked bike and a sheet over a body in both cases. Both apparently single vehicle accidents.

My theory is that riders would come into the curve too hot, with centrifugal force pushing them to the outside of the curve and simply being unable to stay off the Armco. The design angle of the banking would be appropriate for the speed limit, so there would be no problem at the speed limit and even a bit more, as long as there was good traction. But go over some magic number and you'll be into the Armco - and in both cases dead. Other factors could have been a few bits of loose gravel (used to improve traction in snow and ice during the winter) that somehow never seemed to be completely removed, and likely inexperience. Not a good way to go.

My mom gives me flak for riding a bike(a pushbike, not a motorcycle) but I think I have a greater chance of going to the ER if I get hit in my current car(or in a bodybag if anything bigger than a half-ton pickup hits me, a Prius has a BIG disadvantage in size and a brodozer can easily crush the roof of any car).

I was driving down I-80 around Berkeley and I saw a Toyota truck hit the center divide solo and there was a dead body on the road. CHP didn't throw a tarp on the corpse as they had to secure the scene and direct traffic first. Looked like he was ejected from the cab, as there was a broken window.

While I have not witnessed a fatal motorcycle accident, I did see a squid crash into the side of a bus. He would have been dead if the driver pulled away from the stop. But I did see SFPD try to resuscitate a homeless person who ODed on heroin when I was riding to the bank, when I rode by the scene again I saw the coroner was out there.

I've been riding since 1970, and of course most of my friends are motorcycle riders as well...my wife also. From the comments here it would seem I'd be going to a funeral for a rider every week or so. I've only had one close friend killed on a bike, a nephew, and several aquaintences, but there hasn't been mass slaughter of my friends and relatives over 48 years.

Oh good, another 'Motorcycles will kill you' thread.

Yep, Motorcycles are dangerous. if you're going to ride, take the basic and advanced MSF courses. Then I would suggest some even more advanced classes taught on a racetrack, so you really learn how to ride. Actually roadracing would further advance ones riding skills. Make sure to always wear good gear.

I've witnessed fatal crashes of people I knew. I know of several more people that were killed while riding, but didn't witness the crashes.

I've known people that gave up Motorcycles due to family concerns, only to die in other untimely ways. And people that rode all their lives, and died of natural causes.

The bottom line: There are no guarantees. So live life as you and your family see fit.

Oh, and if you drive, put down your [censored] cellphone and pay attention to the road.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Yep, Motorcycles are dangerous. if you're going to ride, take the basic and advanced MSF courses. Then I would suggest some even more advanced classes taught on a racetrack, so you really learn how to ride. Actually roadracing would further advance ones riding skills. Make sure to always wear good gear.

I've witnessed fatal crashes of people I knew. I know of several more people that were killed while riding, but didn't witness the crashes.

I've known people that gave up Motorcycles due to family concerns, only to die in other untimely ways. And people that rode all their lives, and died of natural causes.

The bottom line: There are no guarantees. So live life as you and your family see fit.

Oh, and if you drive, put down your [censored] cellphone and pay attention to the road.

Well something has to kill you, otherwise people will live forever.

Anyway, stats seem to say it's about 25 times more dangerous than a car per mile driven. Injury rate is up there too.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812148

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: 02SE

Well something has to kill you, otherwise people will live forever.

Anyway, stats seem to say it's about 25 times more dangerous than a car per mile driven. Injury rate is up there too.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812148

Do you really think that is some new revelation?

I think every Motorcyclist knows riding has inherent risk. If the risk is unacceptable to you, the choice is simple: Don't ride.

Risk brings thrills to us humans...people who avoid a thrill are probably a little bit boring. Climbing 3 steps on a ladder is a thrill I prefer to avoid, riding a motorcycle is a thrill that has never gone away.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Risk brings thrills to us humans...people who avoid a thrill are probably a little bit boring.

It's true ... you'll never feel more alive then when you've come very close to death while doing something thrilling.

It's probably more dangerous for me at this time of the night to go for a walk around the block than get the bike out and go for a ride.

Originally Posted By: Kira
In addition to common carelessness and ineptitude on the part of drivers of BOTH motorcycles and any other vehicle, I believe there's a big contributor of crashes and it is this.

Categorize bikes as small and everything else as big.

Drivers of big things can look at a bike and it will not register as a big threat.

I'm not a shrink but you know what I mean. The sight of a bike simply doesn't alarm the brain as much as a big vehicle.

I believe it's always been a contributing factor.

PLUS bike can do more random things than big vehicles so they can add to the "party".

Just the way it is.

This is a recognised factor. When a bike is approaching you, because it is small it doesn't take up much of your visual field of view. Furthermore its relative size does not grow as dramatically as it approaches, making you overestimate how far away it is and/or underestimate its speed. This is why people look, and then pull out of the junction anyway. What then happens is that this small target suddenly appears right next to your door - this induces an effect known as "looming", whereby you are suddenly put in a danger situation - this can cause the "rabbit-in-the-headlights" response of freezing, or you might even panic brake, just when the biker needs you to get the heck out of there.

As a bike rider, if I am riding along the road with priority and I see a vehicle waiting to turn out from a side road, I will do everything I can to make sure they see me. If it's safe I will weave gently across my lane, to introduce some lateral movement to the scene. I will also watch their front wheels for signs that they might be pulling out. I will look at the driver and see where they are looking but will NEVER assume that they made eye contact with me or saw me, even if they appeared to look right at me.

I have also done some things to my bike to make it look bigger. I have added running lights to the mirrors to offer a wider target. I also read that we are hard-wired to recognise and respond to a face-like shape, so with a light on each mirror and a headlight lower down between them, I have a rudimentary face shape.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back