Remember the Ice Cream man?

Oh those summer days and the ice cream man. Saw a truck today and it took me back to the excitement of chasing the truck and picking the perfect treat. We lived in a townhouse complex growing up so there were many closely packed houses and lots of kids.

How many saw the guy riding a bike with a freezer chest ringing his bell?

It was too expensive for us...Good Humor, growing up.

24 years ago when I worked in Phila, our office park (Mack Cali) would have Mr Softee come in 2X per year and workers could get anything they wanted.

Oh those summer days and the ice cream man. Saw a truck today and it took me back to the excitement of chasing the truck and picking the perfect treat. We lived in a townhouse complex growing up so there were many closely packed houses and lots of kids.

How many saw the guy riding a bike with a freezer chest ringing his bell?
I envision Paul Reubens doing that but otherwise can't picture it

I remember the ice cream man.
IMG_5871.jpeg

Theres a guy been driving an Ice cream truck around back of me and at the little league games in front of me for 30 yrs or so.. The little league fields back ground noise is pure Americana to me :cool:

When I heard that music coming down the street I used to beg my mom for a few quarters to get some ice cream. Sad thing is many years later I was at a friends house and heard that familiar music......my friend said "Here comes the local drug dealer". Apparently the popsicle man used to make his money selling drugs on the side.

I've seen a few. One around my area goes to a local park and uses this really old, small truck base. However, once I was out on the road and stopped at a park for my kid to play at, and I think I saw an ice cream truck on a Sprinter. This isn't the same, but they're certainly advertising for it.

Driving an ice cream truck around the neighborhoods was going to be my retirement hobby. When I was little there was one and our last house was in a working class neighborhood and a Hispanic ice cream van would come around in the summer. Not enough kids where we live now, mostly old people.

Then there's Cheech & Chong..
Nice Dreams.jpg

pre post edit: Thanks for the picture. They were all Fords in my time.

Didn't "Nice Dreams" with Cheech & Chong feature selling out of an ice cream truck? All I ever saw was the poster.

In an entirely new vein; I love when an ice cream truck rolls onto the Barrett-Jackson stage.

I also love big yellow Wakefern Foods semi trailers delivering quality ice creams to my local store which I buy for $3.50 a tub.

Gimme the aforementioned frozen desert truck, a white USPS S10 framed, Iron Duke powered, Grumman bodied mail truck, Divco milk & bread delivery vehicles; ......for the bifold doors alone!, a Seagrave Fire Pumper truck and a Leach tanked garbage truck of unknown chassis. The police cars would be plain white with front door emblems. And don't forget the Humble Oil & Refining Co. trucks with the lighted German Shepherd on the cab's roof. That was for, "Watchdog Oil Delivery Service".

Didn't "Nice Dreams" with Cheech & Chong feature selling out of an ice cream truck? All I ever saw was the poster.
Not sure if right flick but I seem to remember a girl breaking a nail while guys were weight lifting and they all rushed to help her dropping the bar on a guy's neck

My neighborhood still has a guy driving around. It was like $4 for an ice cream sandwich. It is a kick back to the 1970s complete with a 70s quality mobile sound system.

Eddy Murphy had a amusing routine on the ice cream man.
Yes he did....lol

Yes! We would run what seemed like miles to catch him and buy ice cream. By the time we were back home he would then be passing our house. We never felt stupid then although thinking about that now….oh well. Good exercise I guess.

When I was a young larvae in Union City, New Jersey, it was then an Italian-Irish-German neighborhood. Daily in warm weather we had a "Lemon Ice" vendor come around. It was otherwise known as an Italian Ice, and consisted of pulverized, shaved ice saturated with a sweet flavored liquid.

The joke was that Lemon Ice is no longer sold, because the woman who knew the recipe for the ice died, without ever sharing it with anyone else.

I didn't have a ice cream man that came around when I grew up. What I remember most, and miss, are the small Mom and Pop places that had soft ice cream in a large variety of great flavors, blackberry being my favorite. Seems like everybody just has vanilla or chocolate today.

I grew up with a couple of ice cream trucks coming through the neighborhood. There was a Mr. Softee and another but can't remember the name. Kids would line up.

We didn't see any ice cream guys, but had two snow cone guys. Early-mid 1950's new development in a semi rural area. The best one had a woodie station wagon and was very generous with the variety of juices for $.10 The other was very stingy with the juice and charged $.15

Back