Saving money vs supporting local economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to support the small local mom and pop stores, to a point as long as I'm not getting hosed. We had a local hardware store that was in the area for about 70 years. Then came HD and things started getting tough, I'd still go to the local guy and buy certain things from him because he was convenient and a nice guy. Then one day I needed a GFI receptacle and went to him to buy it, when I looked at the price I almost fell over, it was about 4 times the cost as it was in HD, same item. Needless to say he lost that sale. About 2 years later he closed.

It's a balance, and much of it depends upon the business. For example, we purchase all of our meat at a local locker. Not only is everything local (the cows are raised a couple miles from here), but the prices are actually lower than grocery store/Costco type prices, and the quality is much, much higher. Try getting a custom grind of ground beef at Costco and you'll be met with blank stares.

We do some business with retail shops in the area when it makes sense to do so. Some things simply aren't available locally-I wear a size 10.5 4E shoe, and absolutely no one carries them anywhere near here.

In some cases local businesses can give a much higher quality of service that big box stores or internet stores simply can't do. And there is also a lot of community pride when everyone is successful; a town with busy, vibrant businesses is a much better community than one with empty storefronts, but that busy, vibrant business climate isn't free. It's something that a community has to do together.

Originally Posted By: John_K
I buy what is best for me. I am not here to support anyone, I am here to take care of myself and my wife and that's what I do.

John

That's the sort of selfish attitude that I would expect from most city dwellers.

It just depends. Example: we live in a rural area with fairly easy access to town. Most of my neighbors buy their equipment at Home Depot. I buy most of mine from the local mower shop. The price for comparable equipment is identical between the two but the customer service is far superior at the local shop. They know me and are far more likely to help me out when I need it than is the big store. I have uncles who own independent groceries. They have heavily discounted or even given groceries to good customers during a job loss or a death or the like. They do things for their employees that the big guys don't do also. It's something that used to happen all of the time but as a country we have sold it off to save a few bucks. Sometimes the price difference is unjustified and we all have responsibilities to our family and it's budget but I shop local if possible.

The local big box stores employ locals so it's hard to take them out of the equation.

Also, you can get great and poor service at all sorts of stores.

I agree with John_K on looking out for himself and his family. Nothing selfish about that whatsoever and that is coming from a non city dweller as Pops put it. I look for quality, convenience and the best deal. If local doesn't fit the bill, I buy online.

Your remote job exists because of the internet and better telecommuting options. So America is filling in the exurban voids. You're in town making money and your predecessor remains, spending his retirement. So that's two of you that used to be one person which is good for your downtown even if you both buy 49% of your stuff online.

Spend what you want, where you want. If the town gets too "hot" the rent will go up and they'll decide the market's there for four artesinal coffee ships instead of three. So it's not just your shopping presence, it's the ratio of practical-to-fufu.

Its not all about money. Its about knowledge and customer service. Generally two things small towns have in spades. Try shops local as much as possible. Get to be known around the community. These people will still try to earn your business. Wipers blades online why not. Things that have cores for example buy local.
You never want these stores going out of business. Trust me it sucks having to drive a couple hours just to let a 5 dollar part to finish a project. Basically I buy local except when there is an extreme price difference or they do not have what I want

Having drove semi trucks through rural West small town Napa stores have saved my bacon several times. And even stores I have never visited have went out of there way to help me out

Give the local stores a fair shot at your business.

Originally Posted By: John_K
I buy what is best for me. I am not here to support anyone, I am here to take care of myself and my wife and that's what I do.

John

Amen

You can support the local businesses with your wallet or you can wait days for scamazon or fleabay to come through with a part or piece that you urgently need after they have to fold up their tents.
We all like the convenience of the local B&Ms when we really need something right now.
It isn't really fair to compare their prices to an online drop-shipper who was very little actual inventory and can negotiate low shipping costs based on huge volume.
It's also much easier to get a local business to make things right when faced with a defective or not as advertised product.

Well, the truly local hardware store has at least a 10% markup, if not more, compared to HD or Lowes. Still cheaper than driving 60+ miles roundtrip. So if I need something... that's where I'll go.

But I work 50 miles from home, and have several options for any kind of shopping. So I often shop there, as it's even shorter of a drive (mile or two out of my way), and if I need expensive stuff, well worth the savings. Are those stores "local" to me?

When I had my VW I mail ordered everything for that car (including oil!), mostly out of one shop. When I first started, it was a one-man shop maybe 100 miles from me (but out of state) offering pretty good prices. Last I knew it was at least 2 persons now. Considering I had a TDi there was "many" niche items it needed. Was that local?

I've yet to get bit with online sales. Quality has been in line with price, which was good enough.

Yesterday I did stop at a bike store, took a look at their winter gear. Wound up buying most of what I wanted at the LL Bean outlet for less. I haven't figured out how to support an LBS just yet, as they are all a few miles off my regular drive, and as you might guess... more expensive than if I mail order. I know I should buy more there, but some of the stuff is just seems too expensive.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

We all like the convenience of the local B&Ms when we really need something right now.

This is true. When I needed a brake caliper "right now" for my Tundra, on a Saturday, Autozone was the only place I could go. 45 mile drive to get there, in order to get a reman.

Wish I could have bought an OEM one, but I couldn't wait 3 days for shipping, nor a few days for a dealership to open, nor take a few days off from work for all of that.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
The concept of small local brick and mortar retail establishments making money by buying wholesale and selling to locals at jacked up retail prices is a business model from 100 years ago. It no longer makes sense in the internet economy so very few traditional brick and mortar only businesses with survive over the next 25 years especially in small towns.

This change in how people shop for and buy non perishables and household items will be very disruptive to local economies but shop keeper people will need to find another way to make a living than sitting in a shop 8 hours a day 6 days a week hoping for local customers to come in and buy their pricey inventory.

Okay, so buying nothing and having it drop-shipped at a jacked up price is somehow the modern model?
This change in how smart people shop for and buy goods that you posit is the same wet dream that internet marketers have been pursuing for the past twenty years or so.
For certain items from reputable sites, sure.
For travel, there is no other channel.
For most things from scamazon or fleabay?
NEVER AGAIN!

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

That's the sort of selfish attitude that I would expect from most city dwellers.

But who is being selfish? Is it the consumer who needs to make his money go as far as possible, or the hardware store charging 4x the price the big box store charges for an GFCI outlet?

There can be selfish on either side of the transaction.

Went car shopping today. I think we came to a deal at my local Toyota dealership on a Rav4 for oilBabe. But if they had wanted sticker+, we would have been over to one of the dozen or so St Louis Metro dealers.

I try to give the local merchants a shot. If they are in the ball park, I'll buy. If they are being greedy, per my judgment I realize, I'll shop elsewhere.

Most of our dining out and a good part of our grocery business is with local restaurants and regional grocers. But we also visit a few chains and Wal*Mart from time to time. Especially if we need something more than groceries. If we need cleaning supplies, paper goods, etc. Wal*Mart is usually a better deal that Schnucks or Dierbergs.

Fresh Thyme recently opened and they have good/great prices on quality items if you look. So they are a go-to option. Especially if we are looking for meat and produce.

We'll also head to St Louis and visit the Soulard market to see what they have from time to time. But these vendors are not trying to take my head off.

Now, I'll avoid Dierbergs if I'm getting cleaning supplies, etc. I don't need to pay a 25-50% premium for toilet tissue or laundry detergent. That's just insane. I'm not getting a better product for my money. I'm not getting any better service. I have the same choice to self-checkout or have someone check me out and bag my items. So what am I getting for that extra coin for a package of Tide detergent?

Just tried to shop B&M, at fye. Nothing I'm looking for in stock, the staff is no help whatsoever. Yeah, I know you can get it next week...so can Amazon, and for less money!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You can support the local businesses with your wallet or you can wait days for scamazon or fleabay to come through with a part or piece that you urgently need after they have to fold up their tents.
It isn't really fair to compare their prices to an online drop-shipper who was very little actual inventory and can negotiate low shipping costs based on huge volume.
It's also much easier to get a local business to make things right when faced with a defective or not as advertised product.

Obviously you have no direct experience with Amazon. I've had far less problems making things right with Amazon compared to some local businesses.

Just curious what price differential people find acceptable...10% more? 20%? 50%??

For us it's simple.

We purchase 90% of our groceries from Fareway and Aldi's.

We get most of our other things we need online from Amazon.

Works for us!

I belive in supporting a local business if they offer something better in terms of unique, service, support or convience.

However blindly doing it just because may keep a business afloat that deserves to close up is silly. A huge turn off is hearing about chains from a local owner. Change and adapt or die.

I support a local grocery chain called market basket that manages superior price point, decent enough fresh foods and high quality employer. Also bicycld shops, shoe and clothing.

Amazon though gets massive use(75%) as having the item shipped saving my valuable time. If a local business wants to front a site and ship or drive it to my house I'd reconsider. I'd think that would be a good business to deliver food and goods. Our local restaurants do it thru one place.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

But who is being selfish? Is it the consumer who needs to make his money go as far as possible, or the hardware store charging 4x the price the big box store charges for an GFCI outlet?

There can be selfish on either side of the transaction.

Went car shopping today. I think we came to a deal at my local Toyota dealership on a Rav4 for oilBabe. But if they had wanted sticker+, we would have been over to one of the dozen or so St Louis Metro dealers.

I try to give the local merchants a shot. If they are in the ball park, I'll buy. If they are being greedy, per my judgment I realize, I'll shop elsewhere.

Most of our dining out and a good part of our grocery business is with local restaurants and regional grocers. But we also visit a few chains and Wal*Mart from time to time. Especially if we need something more than groceries. If we need cleaning supplies, paper goods, etc. Wal*Mart is usually a better deal that Schnucks or Dierbergs.

Fresh Thyme recently opened and they have good/great prices on quality items if you look. So they are a go-to option. Especially if we are looking for meat and produce.

We'll also head to St Louis and visit the Soulard market to see what they have from time to time. But these vendors are not trying to take my head off.

Now, I'll avoid Dierbergs if I'm getting cleaning supplies, etc. I don't need to pay a 25-50% premium for toilet tissue or laundry detergent. That's just insane. I'm not getting a better product for my money. I'm not getting any better service. I have the same choice to self-checkout or have someone check me out and bag my items. So what am I getting for that extra coin for a package of Tide detergent?

Speaking of selfish, my local NAPA mom 'n pop shop owners are selfish. During the Napa Gold filter sale, they brought their filter's price down to just above what Oreilly's sells their WIX's at. Hardly a "savings." If you go there without them working, you'll walk out the door with a $4 filter. This experience makes me use that store as a last resort which isn't often.

They are truly one of the last mom 'n pop stores left in town that actually sells goods so IMO it is a shape it has come to this.

We have many restaurants, barbers, bakeries, and coffee shops. Great CS, great food etc. and no large city crowds.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Speaking of selfish, my local NAPA mom 'n pop shop owners are selfish. During the Napa Gold filter sale, they brought their filter's price down to just above what Oreilly's sells their WIX's at. Hardly a "savings." If you go there without them working, you'll walk out the door with a $4 filter. This experience makes me use that store as a last resort which isn't often.

They are truly one of the last mom 'n pop stores left in town that actually sells goods so IMO it is a shape it has come to this.

We have many restaurants, barbers, bakeries, and coffee shops. Great CS, great food etc. and no large city crowds.

I'm glad our local Napa is the opposite. They frequently discount parts and supplies, quite nice since the nearest bigger town is 30 minutes away. I live in a one horse town, and it's part time. There's a family owned True Value in town; prices aren't bad, a little higher, but better than a trip up and down the mountain. Their lumber is cheaper than the big box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back