Sanded Rotors

I'm new to the forum and I have a couple questions about a brake job. I'll separate the two questions, according to the forum rules.
A friend of mine needed some cash so I hired him to change my brakes. When I picked up my car, I noticed he took a sanding disk to my rotors. The job is isn't uniform like I've seen before and is pretty ugly. Some of the scratches look pretty deep. I'm including pics, you may have to zoom in.
He doesn't have the cash to replace my rotors, so I'll have to just eat it if they need to be replaced.
Here are my questions: Do they need to be replaced or with the scratches smooth out over time? If they do smooth out, will it cause more wear on my new brake pads or shorten their life? I've asked around on another forum but got mixed opinions so I thought I'd try here. Thanks in advance.

IMG_20240513_124712965.jpg

IMG_20240513_124740964.jpg

To be effective, you need a real machine to machine the rotors, preferably an on-car brake lathe.

That sanding might be worse than not sanding them at all :sneaky:

The sanding marks should've gone away within the first few stops!

Also, I see your rotors are already rusting. Next time get coated rotors :D

Brake rotors are a wear item. What he did to them probably didn't do much but also didn't hurt them in the least. Drive your car and don't worry about it.

Did you really ask him to replace the rotors out of his own pocket for this? Jeez.
I didn't ask him to replace them but honestly, I wanted to (thinking he messed them up and I would have to get them replaced).

To be effective, you need a real machine to machine the rotors, preferably an on-car brake lathe.

That sanding might be worse than not sanding them at all :sneaky:

The sanding marks should've gone away within the first few stops!

Also, I see your rotors are already rusting. Next time get coated rotors :D
I've driven about 40 or 50 miles and they're still there. So, you don't think the rough surface will make the brakes wear quicker?

While ugly, that really won't help or hurt. Next time, don't bother with this type of sanding. We used to sand rotors before new pads, not so roughly though. The reason was for rapid pad fitment to a somewhat unevenly worn rotor.

Thats a easy way to remove the glaze from the rotors. They actully need more sanding to be more uniform. Those that are saying it’s a wrong way have never seen a new rotor and what it looks like.
I agree He did a great job grinding off the wear ridge but could have ground the shine off. I’ve roloc’d used rotors a few times. It’s never caused me any issues, but rotors are generally pretty cheap, so most brake jobs I do now get rotors. I have pad slapped a couple of cars that came back quickly with pedal pulsation after a few hundred miles. I think that the pad material didn’t play well with the former pad material deposited on the swept surface. Maybe I would have had better luck if I’d deglazed the rotors.

Heres a bad pic of my rotor I sanded on my jeep about 5000 miles ago. I went from ceramic pads to metallic and wanted to get any deposits off the rotors..

Gotta do what you gotta do when broke.

IMG_20240514_121737294.jpg

If the car brakes just fine and there's no pulsing or anything I think it should be just fine. I'd imagine the scratches will go away after some use.

Back