Sam’s Club: Duracell Automotive Batteries, $20 off. 11/3-11/5

IMG_6291.jpeg

Beware of aged inventory though:

IMG_6292.jpeg

I bought two regular batteries (35 and 24F) from them last December for $129.88 each. Both were fresh, having that month's date stickers.

Warranty goes by the receipt not the date on the battery so that's good news. But if you can get a more recent one then that could be better since it may have allowed more time to reduce voltage.

East Penn and 3 year free replacement is a solid deal.
I hope Costco comes back around to matching the warranty...their three year pro rated warranty sucks.
I am not convinced that East Penn batteries are automatically superior. I have experienced some strange issues with their AGMs and in CR’s testing, it is clear that different retailers receive a different end product - and the performance levels can vary significantly.

"Just bring your Fluke multi-meter and test across both posts prior to purchase."

What are you looking for on an AGM replacement. Parameters? Criteria? Recognize the voltage check will NOT be load tested.

I bought the last group 35/85 AGM, but it is lighter than the DieHard Platinum AGM it replaces, and the lines were very long (looked like early 2020).
The heaviest AGM I bought in Group 35 size was an X2 Power. This is the lightest. The place where it sits just kills whatever I put in there, so cheap AGM works out to be the best choice.

I am not convinced that East Penn batteries are automatically superior. I have experienced some strange issues with their AGMs and in CR’s testing, it is clear that different retailers receive a different end product - and the performance levels can vary significantly.
I didn't have great luck with two in a row Group 49 H8 RayoVac (East Penn) from Batteries Plus, but I felt I was the exception rather than the rule. Perhaps their reputation is unfounded.

I'm at four years plus on a Group 49 H8 AC Delco AGM made by Varta. Varta seems to be OEM AGMs to Interstate, WalMart and AC Delco in the H series European applications. You can find them with the white "Made in Germany" stickers.

Attachments

• walmart germany.jpeg
    walmart germany.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 12
  • interstate german.jpg
    interstate german.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 12
  • AC Delco.jpg
    AC Delco.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 12
Not very impressed with these new batteries remember when you used to get 72 month warrantees and the battery actually lasted that long or longer?
I don't think the batteries have necessarily become worse, only that cars have put much higher demands on them. In particular is the parasitic draw most cars have due to all the ECUs constantly running. The battery has a lot more cycles of drawing down and charging back up. And if you let a modern car sit for three or more weeks, it may not start.

I don't think the batteries have necessarily become worse, only that cars have put much higher demands on them. In particular is the parasitic draw most cars have due to all the ECUs constantly running. The battery has a lot more cycles of drawing down and charging back up. And if you let a modern car sit for three or more weeks, it may not start.
A solar maintainer is a really good idea, as long as it can put out as many watts as the parasitic draw consumes.

Northern area people expect batteries to last 72 months and 60k, despite leaving their lights on when they exit the vehicle - despite leaving the air conditioning or high heat on - despite leaving the radio on - despite leaving the rear defroster on ....etc......etc.

Then when they press their remote start the next morning with all this stuff still in the On position, they wonder why the 72 month battery only lasted 58-59 months and now they have a dead battery.

Shut down all your accessories before going into work or inside your home late evenings. Your battery will last longer that way.
Also, clean the posts and cable-ends before connecting the next new battery. I'm having Auto Zone install my next new AGM battery - not to lose all my presets. I will bring the scraping tool for cleaning these two areas, prior to the Auto Zone tech installing my new battery.

Otherwise, I heard these places install without cleaning / scraping anything. I would do the installation myself. But I haven't the skills to know how to save the presets on my 2019 Hyundai and this current battery is five years old (purchased Sept 2018) - with a hard winter here in Michigan expected.

Last edited:
Back