Same vehicle, wildly different filter dimensions

vehicle is a 2014 Lexus GS 350 with the 3.5 V6. I removed an STP filter and couldn’t figure out how to make the mobile 1 filter fit properly in the same place. Compared the lengths, and they are wildly different. I figured I bought the wrong filter by mistake. Drove back to Walmart and nope- the mobile filter pictured is what is listed for this car. Then checked the autozone online lookup for the stp… it checks out too. What gives?

the m1 filter isn’t long enough to cover the inner cartridge tube it sits on- the tube extends past the filter leaving no rubber-to-metal sealing surface. The STP filter is longer than the inner tube, and probably seals fine, but is not mechanically completely braced on one end. And just to be certain, I double-checked- these are the filters listed for this car. See pic!

Attachments

• 5DAC007B-CF1F-4905-9DFB-422DA2D127C9.jpeg
    5DAC007B-CF1F-4905-9DFB-422DA2D127C9.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 49
What's the heights ? DENSO oil filter for this is 81mm tall, just for comparison.

That doesn't look like the correct M1 filter. Is it possible that someone switched out the filter in the box?

The factory Denso filter does not have any end caps, fyi.

Just checked Autozone site for filter recommendation. Gives Mobil 1 M1C-256. Your picture shows M1C-251A.

@jws555 - well I’ll be. I actually drove back to Walmart to verify - their book (paper) indeed lists the 251A. I guess its a legitimate misprint. I feel better knowing where the gap in information is.

I noticed this too recently in the Fram line up, the old 9972 was longer and with no end caps. 🤷‍♂️
Same with the motorcraft 2062. The earlier runs used end caps. The new ones, same part number, don’t.

Back