Salmon Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to have a dinner of salmon, asparagus and white rice tonight. Unlike many of you, my cooking skills are rather weak. Let me walk you thru the bachelor's meal.

Salmon filet (farm-raised), 2 lbs, from Costco. Olive oil on both sides, lightly coated with lemon salt, coated with minced garlic, and a healthy dose of lemon juice.

The salmon filet was placed on top of aluminum foil and cooked over the bbq for about 6 minutes.

Asparagus. About 1lb, stir-fried with olive oil, lemon-salt and minced garlic.

White Jasmine Rice, cooked in a rice cooker.

Final product:

Of course, this makes many meals. Cost of ingredients are about $20, with the salmon filet being the big-ticket item at $8.49/lb.

You know I would eat that and I don't like farm raised salmon.
grin2.gif

What would Mori say?

Originally Posted By: Pablo

What would Mori say?

He would probably say what Pop_Rivit would say: a poor value.

Your cooking skills there look better than mine. I don't like farm-raised salmon but that looks good.

You know I would eat that and I don't like farm raised salmon.
grin2.gif

What would Mori say?

Your Pb levels are background; so you have room to move the needle.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

What would Mori say?

He would probably say what Pop_Rivit would say: a poor value.

Actually, considering there's probably enough there to make 3 meals makes it a pretty decent value. To top it off it's a very healthy meal with great presentation (kudos on the presentation), and (I'm sure) tastes great, and you certainly can't go wrong.

Salmon with lemon is one of my favorites-it's a match made in heaven. Add to that the asparagus (another favorite) and the rice. I usually steam asparagus, but I think I'll give your method a try.

Interesting side note-grilled salmon is on our dinner list for tonight. I think I'll modify my usual recipe and give yours a shot.

THe broiler is our friend with both asparagus and salmon.

We stir fry the asparagus and then broil to crisp it up.

Salmon my wife just likes dill with olive oil. I eat salmon lathered in Emiril spice/olive oil which makes a nice crispy skin with zest. It reminds me of island style cooking. We broil it to cook it for crispy outside.

You are doing great for bachelor, I did not learn to cook until I wanted to impress the ladies and was very car & house poor in my twenties.

I would eat it. And wish it was wild. I was raised on fish, because it was cheaper than beef when I was a kid. One of my BILs is a freshwater fisherman and I occasionally get a trout. Also striped bass and blue fish when my DIL goes fishing. Best way to cook fish is to broil it. Anything else messes with the flavor.

Last edited:
Looks good next time skip foil place on grill direct over coals 2 to 3 second hot fire. First keep skin on oil flesh side salt,pepper,garlic place on grill flesh side down. and put lid on the grill DO NOT peek for about 2 to 3 minutes open lid pull on a corner of skin and pull off it will pull off if done right. lightly brush oil salt,pepper,garlic and flip squeeze of lemon cook to your liking with lid back on grilled salmon complete.

Salmon and asparagus are both always good.
Lemon pairs well with most fish and garlic is good with just about anything.
Trout is also good and is not unlike salmon in flavor.
Rice is also a perfect and easy to make side, and it can be sauced or seasoned any way you'd like.
I don't see much consistent difference between farmed and wild salmon, although some salmon does have better flavor than others without regard to how it was raised.
We like fish of all kinds and have it once or twice a week.

What's the deal on broiling? Are you suppose to set the oven rack on the top postion and leave the oven door cracked open, and use the broiling pan? Seems like when ever I tried broiling it would smoke up the kitchen, warp the broiling pan from intense heat, and it was tricky to not burn or overcook the food. But if I didn't burn the food the result were good.

Asparagus cooking suggestion - brush with oil (I like canola for it's lack of flavor and stability in high temps), sprinkle with salt, pepper, squeeze some lemons on it. Grill directly on grates at high heat, roll 'em around to cook evenly. Get them lightly-to-moderately blackened, gobble 'em up. The grilling gives a nice flavor that a pan doesn't replicate. IMHO steamed or otherwise soft-cooked asparagus is unpalatable, this is one food that is very different depending on how you cook it.

jeff

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
You should try blackened salmon.

I've heard of it but never tried it. Maybe sometime.
Once had Candy salmon (think that's what its called) and thought it was pretty good.
Wife likes doing home smoked salmon though. Some of the guys at work are not fish eaters but I've seen them pick chunks of smoked salmon as long as its there. One was sitting there eating it and telling me he doesn't like any fish or sea foods. I told him it was the 3rd time that morning I seen him sitting there eating it. He said he was only checking it out.

I like asparagus with my garlic as well!
shocked2.gif

Foil packet salmon is one of my favorite recipes; it's even good if you load your veggies right in there with the fish and warp the foil up tight so everything steams together. It's great with yellow squash and zucchini.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back