Sagging Chevy S10 ... options?

4cyl 2wd short bed 2000 Chevy S10 150k miles. maybe it was the topper left on since new...maybe it was overloaded at some point... but I have a saggin S10.

I would like to get her leveled again. Looking for something less than full leaf spring "tearout".

Helper springs?

or Gabriel coil over shocks?

or?

I just want it not to look so dorky.

Last edited:
Any chance the springs are broken?

I'd bet on new springs. I'm not sure if they would cost more than bandaids.

Put some drop springs on the front. :)
unnamed.jpg

They did. You can crank them up as tight as you want and they did change the unloaded ride height by a noticeable amount.

Here are the ones for your s10

The ones have been on that van for 6+ years and are still fine. It was an e-150 conversion van which is pretty much overloaded by design and they helped make it more stable when traveling with 6 adults in the vehicle.

I would be looking for a wrecker yard set of leaf springs but if you want to go another way you could try Firestone Ride Rite air bags. I have a set on my pickup and on my RV. On the pickup for when I get a full load of mulch or topsoil and on the RV to take some of the load off the springs and avoid sag in the first place or leveling help on uneven camp sites.

21 year old springs that are sagging. If your going to keep it, replace them. Not hard to do. Air shocks, air bags etc are a band aid. Now those add on's are carrying the weight.

+1 on replacing the springs. Stock as far as I can tell is about 1000lb if you are using a cap go with the 1200-1300lb springs.
Easy job..

Replace the springs, anything else is a bandaid.

I replaced my sagging rear leaf springs on my Jeep. Not too hard.

Replace the factory leaf springs. Helper springs are designed to support a sagging load back to the original ride height, not raise sagging springs. I know a little about this.....I'm the National Sales Manager for Hellwig. As much as we'd love to sell you product, it's not the product you need here!

Agree on replacing springs. I have a 4x4 ZR2, and I recall the payload isn’t a lot, nor is the allowable trailer tongue weight. So the springs have to be relatively soft. I’d expect that a 4cyl 2wd without a long bed or uprated payload package (iirc there was one) would also have fairly weak springs.

4cyl 2wd short bed 2000 Chevy S10 150k miles. maybe it was the topper left on since new...maybe it was overloaded at some point... but I have a saggin S10.

I would like to get her leveled again. Looking for something less than full leaf spring "tearout".

Helper springs?

or Gabriel coil over shocks?

or?

I just want it not to look so dorky.

How about going to a spring/alignment shop? A good one can re-arc and add a leaf. Did it to several vehicles back in the day, firms it up quite a bit.

Replace the leaf springs

You can always install the helper spring coilover shocks in addition to the new leaf springs :)

Back