Safety Kleen - EcoPower Re-Refined Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link1

EcoPower

Million Mile Teardown

Quote:
MOORESVILLE, NC – Safety-Kleen Systems, which markets EcoPower re-refined engine oil, announced on July 25 the results of a four-year, million-mile test of the engine oil used in two 2007 Cummins ISX 450 HP EGR diesel engines operated by Cooke Trucking Co.

The test engines powered two Peterbilt 387 over-the-road conventional trucks that were used in long-haul service, primarily hauling furniture to the West Coast and backhauling reefer trailers. Cooke Trucking operates a fleet of 50 trucks and is headquartered in Mt. Airy, N.C.

This was the first-ever official million-mile engine test of re-refined oil in actual fleet service. Testing was completed July 2012. A special media event was held at Outcast Kustoms, a truck customizing company headquartered in Mooresville, which included a teardown of the two Cummins ISX diesel engines using EcoPower re-refined oil.

The purpose of the test was to evaluate how well HD15W-40 CJ-4/SM oil protected engine components during a million miles of fleet service. The test was conducted by Infineum, an independent third-party company, which is a joint venture created by ExxonMobil and Shell Oil in 1999. Infineum’s primary business is manufacturing petroleum additives for lubricants and fuels. Also assisting in the engine teardown were technicians from Cummins Inc. Infineum has used Cooke Trucking as a test fleet since 1988. Although the drivers and technicians at Cooke Trucking knew they were testing an engine oil, they did not know the oil they were testing and neither did the Infineum employees administering the test. There was no product identification on the test oil containers. The purpose of the test was to show how re-refined engine oil performed against oil produced from original petroleum base stock.

Quote:
And if you need further assurance, consider this: our new formulation of EcoPower dexos1™ Synthetic Blend 5W-30 is GM dexos1™ licensed, making it the first engine oil recycled and refined from reclaimed oil to meet GM’s stringent specification.

6.2 MPG!!!
crazy2.gif

Yes I find that the most shocking thing about this information.

Having worked in heavy-haul trucking I find it funny you find that shocking. A lot of times our fuel economy was measured in gallons per mile :p.

But this oil is the same as SuperTech's oil in Canada, nearest I can figure. Works great so far and was intensely cheap. Definitely recommended to people.

Also, first post, hey now.

I would LOVE to use this oil, but according to their site, my nearest retail location is about 60 mi away, and only 3 in 100 mi radius. now if they would just sell it online...

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Having worked in heavy-haul trucking I find it funny you find that shocking. A lot of times our fuel economy was measured in gallons per mile :p.

But this oil is the same as SuperTech's oil in Canada, nearest I can figure. Works great so far and was intensely cheap. Definitely recommended to people.

Also, first post, hey now.

firstly, Welcome,
welcome2.gif

If Memory serves correctly, from what I've read on here, finding recycled/re-refined oil is no big deal for you guys up in the great white north, while down here in the states, the known brands are this one, and Valvoline next-gen, which is only 50% recycled, and before everyone started clearanceing it out, was the same price, if not more than standard Valvoline.

Last edited:
You're correct, earlyre. Our Supertech is Safety Kleen up here, and Safety Kleen even has a large facility of some sort, likely a warehouse, in this city. With Supertech being Safety Kleen here, I suspect that's why we can get just about any grade of Supertech (PCMO or HDEO) in 5 gallon pails, at usually around $8 a gallon.

Yay, just drove 1100 mi to my brothers place in tx, & theres about a dozen places within 10 mi that sell eco-power. And this trip put me w/in my oci window , so looks like I'm changing my oil tomorrow.
Looks like eco-power 5w20 & Bosch filter for the winter.

wow... when i went to the local shop to buy the eco-power, it ended up costing me $40(us) for 5 qts 5w20(just the oil)....that's crazy....i could get M1 for cheaper...but yes i did buy it..

'course i was at a chain repair shop, not a parts store, or big box store.
these guys:
Kwik Kar Watauga (they charge $35 for a conventional change(pyb & pennzoil filter))

haven't done the change yet, raining like no ones business..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back