Safe Jack Stand Recommendation

I don't know about you guys, but I rarely push a jackstand arm up over one click anyways.

Most times its on the base level, and that gives me plenty of height to work on the car.

How high are you jacking up your cars?

Also use chocks on the rear wheels, and keep a jack under the car as a third contact to the car.

It would take some very bad luck for both jack stands to fall to the ground like pancakes, and the hydraulic jack to do the same, all at once.

I have to go several clicks, depends on the vehicle. Cars, not so bad, but I usually let it down onto the jack before removing the wheel--kinda have to, otherwise there isn't enough space afterwards to roll around underneath. My truck has to go about 3 feet into the air it seems, front suspension has like 10" of travel.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by hatt
No way I'd ever trust Chinesium jack stands.
https://www.ohiopowertool.com/m-389-gray-jack-stands.aspx#

Who can afford these? Seems if you are in the business you have a lift and not really need jack stands for the most part.

Who can afford them? Most people are buying a new $800 phone every year or trading in a perfectly fine vehicle ever 2-3 years. $350 for a product you don't have to worry about failing and killing you that will last a 100+ years doesn't seem too bad. They make a 3 ton version that should be cheaper but I didn't see it listed for sale with a quick search. The $350 stands are rated for 15K lbs EACH. And by rating meaning actual capable of holding that much and not some number some guy in the marketing department decided should be stuck on the side.

Originally Posted by Dadillac
https://sunextools.com/products/22-ton-jack-stands-pair/

Just bought 2 sets of these yesterday on Amazon. With these there will be zero worries about a vehicle on jack stands. I decided that my own and my sons lives are worth at least $400

Don

Those look solid. Those split design stands with no support around the bottom has never instilled confidence. That's the USA versions, never mind the pot metal and iffy welded version. Looking at the Sunex stuff I don't care for their other design either.

Did you feel unsafe before the recall? I have the recall versions and don't get me wrong I'm taking them back (just because) but with that being said I've had them for a good while and I've put my 4000lb truck on them probably 100+ times. I have no fear using them (especially given the recall details, not like metal snaps off).
Two points here:
a) recalls happen. Would you not drive a Ford or Toyota because they've both had deadly recalls
b) ALL inexpensive jack stands have questionable quality control! Go look at some reviews on Amazon and pics of the welds. If you think potential issues for under $100 jack stands are exclusive to HF your crazy. You aren't going to get amazing welds (besides luck) and overbuilt structures for $69.99. You should be using other safety measures (the jack, wheel chocks to keep from shifting, wheel under the car etc).

Also looking for a good affordable pair . . . how's these look? Look pretty good and sturdy pair.

1601576985061.png

I have 4 Torin 3 ton jobbies from Wally World. I bought them at the time because HF was sold out. Finish and quality seems more stout that HF. Don’t think I’ll ever buy a HF jack stand. Floor jack fine because my life doesn’t rely on that but those stands always felt chintzy compared to similarly priced competitors.

Who can afford these? Seems if you are in the business you have a lift and not really need jack stands for the most part.

Who can afford them? Most people are buying a new $800 phone every year or trading in a perfectly fine vehicle ever 2-3 years. $350 for a product you don't have to worry about failing and killing you that will last a 100+ years doesn't seem too bad. They make a 3 ton version that should be cheaper but I didn't see it listed for sale with a quick search. The $350 stands are rated for 15K lbs EACH. And by rating meaning actual capable of holding that much and not some number some guy in the marketing department decided should be stuck on the side.
Yeah still for a set of 4 you’re getting close to a consumer spec 2 post lift. I’m guessing here but the residual value of a lift is far better and working under/around a lift is significantly better than jack stands.

These are more affordable:
https://www.amazon.com/US-JACK-D-41610-Garage-Stands/dp/B00P248NYO#detail-bullets

What is nice about the US Jack stands is the top cradle, it fits full frame and sub frames perfectly unlike the ones designed for live axles, when buying stands it pays to get the ones with the most contact area on the part being supported.
If you look at the top it has a small divot in the middle for the weld on the bottom of full frames but yet is flat enough not to damage flat sub frame rails.

What do you think about these with pins:

or smaller/lighter version:

What do you think about these with pins:

or smaller/lighter version:
I’ve used the 3 ton variant of these without the locking pin. Wish I got these because I like that pin. I’m still alive and have done major suspension work underneath so I’m guessing they work.

I’ve used the 3 ton variant of these without the locking pin. Wish I got these because I like that pin. I’m still alive and have done major suspension work underneath so I’m guessing they work.

Mine is Craftsman 3 Ton without locking pin.
I bought it a long time ago and I cannot remember if there are the kind with the pin available at that point.

What is nice about the US Jack stands is the top cradle, it fits full frame and sub frames perfectly unlike the ones designed for live axles, when buying stands it pays to get the ones with the most contact area on the part being supported.
If you look at the top it has a small divot in the middle for the weld on the bottom of full frames but yet is flat enough not to damage flat sub frame rails.

I totally agree. The shape of the top cradle / saddle of the US Jack stands is excellent.

I don't know about you guys, but I rarely push a jackstand arm up over one click anyways.

Most times its on the base level, and that gives me plenty of height to work on the car.

How high are you jacking up your cars?

Also use chocks on the rear wheels, and keep a jack under the car as a third contact to the car.

It would take some very bad luck for both jack stands to fall to the ground like pancakes, and the hydraulic jack to do the same, all at once.

That depends largely on how high the jack stand minimum height is, how low the car is, where you need to put the stand, and whether you just need to do wheel area work or get under it. For example a 3 ton stand might have first notch around 12" and wouldn't even get the wheels off the ground on some trucks or SUVs, while some 6 ton stands, first notch might already be higher than a smaller jack can lift, in the location you want it in. Granted there are workaround for some things.

I do not use the top notch on my jack stands, but 2nd or 3rd notch isn't uncommon, I lift as high as the jack will go till that point, to give more room if working under the vehicle. It makes a huge difference in ease of repair to have enough room to roll over, move your arms around, position a light, get more swing on a longer ratchet, etc. A lift would be even better in this regard but has some extra cost, setup time, storage space for the frequency I'd use it.

Might as well get stands with pins given the small price difference, and on mine with them I use them since they're there, but I don't hesitate to use my older sets with no pins and never had any problems.

Most people are not buying a new $800 phone every year or trading in a perfectly fine vehicle every 2-3 years. There are cases where kids on outrageous cell phone plans get a phone subsidized but that's about a status symbol. Few people consider a jack stand a status symbol. Okay maybe a half dozen here or on GJ, lol, among the millions of owners.

If you mean most rich people who act on impulse, that sort of person tends not to repair their own vehicles unless it's their pride and joy, sports car that they aren't trading in that often or else they wouldn't be working on it themselves.

It is contrary to evidence to suggest that paying $350 is some kind of guarantee something won't fall and kill you opposed to any properly made product costing much less. It is a very rare thing for the average jack stand to fail *when used properly* (same as any tool), outside of this unique situation recently with the defective HF stands. It is almost always user error when no defects are present.

What do I care if my stands can only safely hold twice what I'd ever put on them or 4X? They just need to be stable, with min and max adjustments that suit the job.

Can you demonstrate any major brand jack stand where it can't hold more than rated and "some guy in the marketing department" just decided to put a false label on? A little more steel to meet a rating is very inexpenisve compared to the liability of products failing unless they are from some generic 3rd party overseas that feels insulated from liability.

There are some reasons to get a special stand configuration, for example a wider base or at least feet with a horizontal pad on the bottom to use on less level or softer surfaces, or a different saddle if the vehicles need support that matches the lift points.

Last edited:
Most people are not buying a new $800 phone every year or trading in a perfectly fine vehicle every 2-3 years. There are cases where kids on outrageous cell phone plans get a phone subsidized but that's about a status symbol. Few people consider a jack stand a status symbol. Okay maybe a half dozen here or on GJ, lol, among the millions of owners.

If you mean most rich people who act on impulse, that sort of person tends not to repair their own vehicles unless it's their pride and joy, sports car that they aren't trading in that often or else they wouldn't be working on it themselves.

It is contrary to evidence to suggest that paying $350 is some kind of guarantee something won't fall and kill you opposed to any properly made product costing much less. It is a very rare thing for the average jack stand to fail *when used properly* (same as any tool), outside of this unique situation recently with the defective HF stands. It is almost always user error when no defects are present.

What do I care if my stands can only safely hold twice what I'd ever put on them or 4X? They just need to be stable, with min and max adjustments that suit the job.

Can you demonstrate any major brand jack stand where it can't hold more than rated and "some guy in the marketing department" just decided to put a false label on? A little more steel to meet a rating is very inexpenisve compared to the liability of products failing unless they are from some generic 3rd party overseas that feels insulated from liability.

There are some reasons to get a special stand configuration, for example a wider base or at least feet with a horizontal pad on the bottom to use on less level or softer surfaces, or a different saddle if the vehicles need support that matches the lift points.

Based on thousands of users of HF and other China jack stands, it is clearly evident that it's possible to cobble together a jack stand for $20 that works as intended.

I usually have to end up using a cinder block because I have a gravel driveway so the jack sinks and makes the car too low for a jack stand. For oil changes I do that on ramps so there is no risk of it falling. At work we have some of the real old Harbor Freight ones for the rare times we do use them. I have Craftsman ones I use regularly that will fit if it can get them in before the jack sinks. I also have some vintage ones made from Model T axle housings that another mechanic made they are very strong and durable.

Back