Sae 30 vs 10w30 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

When starting up a lawn mower engine would a thicker Sae 30 oil protect the engine better while warming up as opposed to using 10w30? Isn't 10w30 a 10 weight oil while cold until the engine/oil warms up?
I don't completely understand this. I know that when the weather is colder the 10w30 will be better at the initial start because it's a 10 weight oil until it warms up. Is this correct?

Last edited:
So is there any negatives to using 10w30 in the warmer summer months as opposed to sae 30w?

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
So is there any negatives to using 10w30 in the warmer summer months as opposed to sae 30w?

A straight 30 will do better in your lawn equipment in Florida...in July...than a 10w30 as far as burn off....

I use syn 10w30 in my riding mower. My push mower I use 15w40 as it uses a little oil.

Many small engines call for 10w30 now. So if yours is not to old and doe snot use to much oil then try it out.

If you're going to use 10w-30 use one of the diesel(HDEO) oils. Most 10w-30s are very thin 30s, much thinner than SAE30 at operating temp.

Last edited:
I have a kawi fx commercial engine,and I used royal purple sae 30 last summer,and switched to 10w40 this past winter. I'm about to change my oil for the summer months ,but not sure if sae 30,10w40,or 20w50 is the best for my kawi fx engine?

I'm just not sure how hot in degrees my kawi fx engine gets?

Last edited:
Oreilly's has the Chevron Delo Severe Duty 15w-30 for $12.99 a gallon this month. I'd get some of that.

I know. I used 10w40 as opposed to sae 30 royal purple. I figured the 10w40 would be better while the weather was cooler.

Last edited:
I prefer synthetic oil as opposed to conventional oils.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Oreilly's has the Chevron Delo Severe Duty 15w-30 for $12.99 a gallon this month. I'd get some of that.

I know. I used 10w40 as opposed to sae 30 royal purple. I figured the 10w40 would be better while the weather was cooler.
33.gif

Just make sure the oil is full.

The number before the W such as the 10 in 10w30 has nothing to do with the 30. The 10w tells us about low temperature pump ability, the 30 is the sae viscosity grade.

A 10w30 is tested at -30C while the sae 30 doesn't have to pass any of these cold temperature tests. SAE 30 is fine for warm starting but a 10w30 synthetic is better overall than either especially since most 10w30 synthetics won't need any viscosity index improvers since the base oils are so well flowing already.

I would refer you to the sae j300 chart for more information. Also remember that oil is always less viscous as it's temperature rises whether it's an sae 30 or 10w30, they just have different plots on the graph as the temperature changes, they may intersect at some point but at low temperature the 10w30 will remain more fluid like while the sae 30 will turn to molasses, the oils such as 5w30 and 0w30 will remain more fluid like at even lower temperatures

http://www.widman.biz/English/Tables/J300.html

So in a 20w50 oil for the summer months,what exactly is it with the 50 in the 20w50 thats supposed to be better in warmer weather as opposed to say 10w40?

Last edited:
So in a 20w50 oil for the summer months,what exactly is it with the 50 in the 20w50 thats supposed to be better in warmer weather as opposed to say 10w40?

It is only better if you think thicker is better.

If the OM says to use 40 weight in it, use 40 weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back