Gas Leak

Kohler 675 mower engine. Loosing fuel. I mowed a small patch of lawn and the next day it ran our fuel just after starting. I filled up the tank when done and the next day fuel level was down. Hose leak at the carb. Fixed that. Still leaking fuel. I'm thinking bad float valve and about oil dilution with fuel. Removed carb with fuel line still attached. Not seeing any fuel leaking into the venturi area.

Does it have a fuel pump? If so, is it ran off of the cam with a plunger or from crank pressure? The diaphram could be bad and pulling fuel into the crank case that way.

Does the oil smell of fuel contamination?

No fuel pump. No fuel smell in oil. Don't see any fuel leakage from the tank. Fuel tank cap is on tight, so probably no evaporation. Using no alcohol fuel. Have carburetor unbolted from engine. Is slid out about and inch on the studs so I can see if fuel is leaking past the float valve. Saw videos about removing the carb from the Kohler XT675 motor but the linkages are different on mine. Looks like I could easily break plastic linkage parts.

Looks like repair kits cost more than new carb. Any brands to avoid?

If you're getting off of Amazon, they're all cheap china carbs.

I think the brands change monthly. Go with whatever is priced well and has some good reviews? Might be so cheap that even a new carb every 2 years is cost effective.

China! That's where where Stihl and Poulan OEM parts are made! Ford and GM OEM as well. Poulan does not sell the carb or kit. Neither does Kohler.

Looks like OEM carb is Chinese.
Kohler and 1405390 on one side.
HUAYI corp on the other side on top

Float valve appears to hold pressure. I suspect the float bowl gasket. Left paper towel centered under carburetor. Let it sit with full tank over night. Fuel level was down this morning. Gas stain on towel was concentric with center of float bowl. Float bowl was connected very tightly.

Not able to locate Float bowl washer or similar. Other carbs use same gasket? Looks kike I might have to roll my own. Any difference between cheap and expensive Chinese carbs?

I got one of Amazon for my Kawasaki JD. It was made in Japan as was the OE. Worked great right out of the box.

My Kawasaki V twin was leaking gas into the motor if the tank was too full, I put a shutoff valve on it. Fixed.
My Ryobi leaf blower hasn't been used for 3-4 years, got it out the other day and my thumb went right thru the primer bulb. Looked on Amazon and bulb $6, gaskets (2) $7, air filter $6.....then saw a kit with new carb, fuel line, bulb, filter, spark plug, and gas filter (clunk) for $11. Everything fit and it started on 2nd pull. Sweet! I've used a chinacarb on a B&S v twin and had excellent results, as well as the wifes Honda 125 dirt bike.

I got a Kohler OEM carb kit just to replace the float bowl gasket. While I was at it I replaced the float and valve. That's when things went south. Ran fine for a while until a major fuel leak developed. Lots of fuel leaking into the venturi area of the carb. A real gusher. I compared the float to the original. It looked the same. Put it together several times and still developed a real gusher. The needle was the same length as the original. With the carb off the mower and float bowl removed I blew into the fuel inlet. When moved the bowl up and the valve held. Let the bowl drop and released pressure. I began to notice the the float movement was not smooth. Turned out that the OEM replacement valve was not moving smoothly. Would sometimes stick in on or off position. I made a second comparison between the two valves. The new OEM one had six length wise splines and the original one was more or less square. Replaced the original float and valve assy. No more leaks.

I had also checked to see if dirt from the fuel tank had clogged the float valve in on position. I also flushed the tank and fuel line to make shure they were OK.

I use no alcohol fuel. I could not smell it in the engine oil but I could see that the level was way up. I stuck a paper towel into the oil and when I pulled it out it was dripping a lot more than oil would. I then drained and replaced the oil.

Back