SAE 16 Viscosity Grade - interesting read

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on running a blend of GC 0w-30, 4 quarts, and Red Line Racing 5w, 2 quarts for my winter blend. The Red Line 5w racing is almost a 0w-20. Red Line is also loaded with Moly so with this blend of synthetics I should be good to go, in a frigid winter, like last winter.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally posted in April 2013.

D'oh!
33.gif
sorry about that.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Merkava_4 just fainted.

LMAO

×2 lol

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wateroil!

+1. I don't like thin oil. I wouldn't use 20 weight
let alone a 16 weight. This will be one step below using
Kerosene as a lube.

Imagine if they back spec cars that were back spec'd from 5W30 to 5W20, getting back spec'd one more time to 0W16? Or a bit more realistic. An engine that was designed for 5W20 being back spec'd to 0W16. That discussion would be another EBT, Epic, Bitog, Thread, and probably get locked.

EBT? As in loading a cart to overflowing at the grocery and paying with EBT and then taking it out to the parking lot and loading it into a Lincoln Navigator? I have seen that.

Why is it "scary water"? I really don't get this. There's a lot of "stuff" that goes into an oil formulation and specification, viscosity is one of them - but viscosity isn't everything.

If the engine manufacturer determines that the specified lubricant is adequate, why does any number become scary?

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
0w-4 is scary water OMG

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wateroil!

EBT? As in loading a cart to overflowing at the grocery and paying with EBT and then taking it out to the parking lot and loading it into a Lincoln Navigator? I have seen that.

You lost me buddy. But then again I have a splitting headache today, and I'm not too focused.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

You lost me buddy. But then again I have a splitting headache today, and I'm not too focused.

EBT- the food stamp card

This made me angry and LOL at the same time. I know exactly what you're talking about. Seen it a million times, unfortunately.

Quote:
Just as 5W20 and 0W20 oils these oils will also be unsuitable to be used in older engine designs since it would not provide sufficient wear protection on operating temperature

That's proven not to be the case in many instances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back