RX350 which oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sHERM
I use the Toyota Genuine full Syn in my 2013 RX. with the OEM cartridge filter. I did a oil analysis the last oil change at 8500 miles. Everything was good and I could have gone another 3k miles. I'm sticking with it.

Yeah I buy the Toyota cartridges in 6pks off Amazon.
Thanks for the info on the OEM oil and UOA !!

Originally Posted By: edyvw
[censored], that means I can use any oil in my BMW and VW, right? I mean there is no evidence right?

Just to interject, in that situation, BMW and VW call for oils with builder approvals, not just ordinary API/ILSAC oil, so it's not an ideal comparison.

Originally Posted By: Garak
[censored], that means I can use any oil in my BMW and VW, right? I mean there is no evidence right?

Just to interject, in that situation, BMW and VW call for oils with builder approvals, not just ordinary API/ILSAC oil, so it's not an ideal comparison.

His statement is that there is no evidence. So let's go back to Toyota. I beg owners of 3.0 V6 engine would argue differently.
But "premium dollar" is statement of the year.

Think those are the dollars not wadded up in a drunks pocket when he ----ed himself
wink.gif

You beat me to it. Toyota/Lexus calls for 0w20. That can be obtained in either blends or synthetics with ILSAC/API certifications. BMW and VW call for something else all together. At 5K miles, synthetic is not necessary in his Lexus, no matter what your(edyvw) VW manual says.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay

You beat me to it. Toyota/Lexus calls for 0w20. That can be obtained in either blends or synthetics with ILSAC/API certifications. BMW and VW call for something else all together. At 5K miles, synthetic is not necessary in his Lexus, no matter what your(edyvw) VW manual says.
wink.gif

Although Toyota is recommending 10k OCIs in most new vehicles and the dealers recommend Mobil 1.

Was true in my 2011 Prius and it's true for my wife's 3.5L 2GR-FE .

I've been throwing my $ away on synthetic oils for 25yrs. Cost benefit works for me.
smile.gif

Last edited:
For 10k mile OCI, I'd use synthetic too.

I'm probably going to settle on 7k OCI for the RX and buy whatever 0w-20 synthetic I can find on sale

His statement is that there is no evidence. So let's go back to Toyota. I beg owners of 3.0 V6 engine would argue differently.

^^Another member of the "peace of mind" crowd. 3k OCI on that BMW?.

Feel free to explain why it makes sense to spend that extra $5-7. Oh wait I know...it's because OP drives a Lexus. That must be it.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

Feel free to explain why it makes sense to spend that extra $5-7. Oh wait I know...it's because OP drives a Lexus. That must be it.

Who's this directed at ??

0W-20 AFE is what I have in my 2003 3.0L Toyota now.
Will be down around 0F tonight.
Very happy with this oil.

Originally Posted By: cnatra

Who's this directed at ??

I don't think sir1900 was directing this at you.

^^Another member of the "peace of mind" crowd. 3k OCI on that BMW?.

Nope, 5-7.5K OCI on BMW< on VW 5K but that is due to DI and sulfur in gas.
I know, owners of Toyota's 3.0 V6 engines also felt that $5-7 is too much. Sludge or $5-7? hmm, tough choice.
All this is very interesting specially since that engine (3.5 V6) in many parts of the world is specified strictly for full synthetic 5W40 oil.

I won't dispute that we can find examples where OEM specifications might have been a little optimistic, to say the least. Of course, I'm speaking of more run of the mill examples. I don't think my F-150 or G37 would care over ordinary, severe service intervals. Now, in the end, some manufacturers might wind up regretting just calling for an ordinary 0w-20 without some added specification for their longer drain intervals in some applications. But, when trying A3/B4 type intervals when using something that isn't even A1/B1 is the OEM's fault, not the oil's fault, really.

Americans have premium dollars. Up here, we have discount dollars.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
"If no stress and not Direct Injection..."
AFE is great oil but as sir1900 mentioned, at 5-7K miles OCI you could use a blend: Castrol Magnatec, Valvoline Maxlife to name a couple.

And the reason for that would be?

hahaha ^^^^^ well i have considered using VWB 5W20 for 5,000 mile intervals. but just cant get myself to try it yet. probably wont hurt anything.

I was referring to blend oils.
Syn. oil so cheap, and yet, people trying to figure out how to save $5 on a car that costs $50K.
If it was not sad, it would be funny.

wow? Sorreeeeeee mr. ja.....

hi,,
5w30 oil. Full synthetic is not required. Good idea to use synthetic blend if you're planning on changing the oil every 5,000 miles. If you're using just regular oil, change the service interval to 3,000 miles. It doesn't really matter what kind of oil you use. Just change the oil often.

Alot of Japanese manufacturers use Castrol. I'm certain that Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura comes equipped with Castrol.

PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back