RX350 which oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 RX350 53000mi(next change 55k) wife's car driven gently for the most part in short trip stop/go suburbia.

I've been using M1EP 0w-20 for most oil changes. Dealer did 2 changes at 10k & 20k . I've been changing in the 5-7k range.
I usually just get the 5qt jug at Wal-Mart & then grab a single qt to round out for 6qts and add .5 at leftover from last change.

So this should be a low stress engine with no DI or turbo etc.

Any thoughts on M1AFE 0w-20 or M1 5w-20 in lieu of the M1EP.
Costco has the first two on sale in 6pks for $27

Any other recommendations ?

I'll also be changing a nearly indentical 2011 RX350 next week for my in-laws. They are retired so drive much less around town except for a couple annual road trips.

Mobil Super Synthetic? PP ?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Buy the 6x1qt M1 AFE from Costco then get a few singles from WM or somewhere. That's what I've been running in the one I work on. 5-7k miles on M1 EP is a waste.

"If no stress and not Direct Injection..."
AFE is great oil but as sir1900 mentioned, at 5-7K miles OCI you could use a blend: Castrol Magnatec, Valvoline Maxlife to name a couple.

Originally Posted By: wemay
AFE is great oil but as sir1900 mentioned, at 5-7K miles OCI you could use a blend: Castrol Magnatec, Valvoline Maxlife to name a couple.

And the reason for that would be?

Originally Posted By: edyvw

hahaha ^^^^^ well i have considered using VWB 5W20 for 5,000 mile intervals. but just cant get myself to try it yet. probably wont hurt anything.

Here is a pic of the valve train on my 07 Fusion with 195K at 10K OCIs with M1 0-20AFE. I checked the valve clearance and they were in factory specs.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

hahaha ^^^^^ well i have considered using VWB 5W20 for 5,000 mile intervals. but just cant get myself to try it yet. probably wont hurt anything.

I was referring to blend oils.
Syn. oil so cheap, and yet, people trying to figure out how to save $5 on a car that costs $50K.
If it was not sad, it would be funny.

It's your car, use what you want.

I like to change the chemistry around once in a while. Steady diet is OK, but IF the oil in question starts to make any sort of build-up like piston skirt varnish, etc.; changing chemistry can slowly get that off.

So Pennz Ultra would be a good switch over oil for say three changes, then back again
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114

Syn. oil so cheap, and yet, people trying to figure out how to save $5 on a car that costs $50K.

Because at 5K mile intervals, there is no data showing a full synthetic in the same viscosity protects any better, especially during a TX winter. The OP has many options and sticking with AFE is certainly one of them. I don't brow-beat people for using synthetic with short OCI nor do i for them just going by the specs needed. In this case, SM/ILSAC GF-4. Neither is 'sad'. Like my first sentence read, AFE is great oil.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Here is a pic of the valve train on my 07 Fusion with 195K at 10K OCIs with M1 0-20AFE. I checked the valve clearance and they were in factory specs.

Impressive !!

Originally Posted By: sir1900
If you are changing in the 5-7 range, I recommend going with whatever 0W20 you can find that is on sale. This engine needs nothing special.

Probably what I'll start doing....

Well I grabbed 3 of the 6pack 0w-20 AFE at Costco.

This will cover the 2 upcoming changes and I'll set the 3rd aside for later if no good sales show by then

I've become one of those guys that trolls the auto parts stores looking for sales and synthetic oil inventories
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cnatra
Well I grabbed 3 of the 6pack 0w-20 AFE at Costco.

This will cover the 2 upcoming changes and I'll set the 3rd aside for later if no good sales show by then

I've become one of those guys that trolls the auto parts stores looking for sales and synthetic oil inventories
crazy.gif

thumbsup2.gif

There is absolutely nothing to gain by spending premium dollars for a 5-7k OCI, especially when we are talking about the 2GR-FE engine.

I use the Toyota Genuine full Syn in my 2013 RX. with the OEM cartridge filter. I did a oil analysis the last oil change at 8500 miles. Everything was good and I could have gone another 3k miles. I'm sticking with it.

There is absolutely nothing to gain by spending premium dollars for a 5-7k OCI, especially when we are talking about the 2GR-FE engine.

Sure there is - it makes you (me) feel better
laugh.gif

LOL, what are "premium" dollars?

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

Sure there is - it makes you (me) feel better
laugh.gif

That's pretty much it
grin.gif

Quote:
Because at 5K mile intervals, there is no data showing a full synthetic in the same viscosity protects any better, especially during a TX winter. The OP has many options and sticking with AFE is certainly one of them. I don't brow-beat people for using synthetic with short OCI nor do i for them just going by the specs needed. In this case, SM/ILSAC GF-4. Neither is 'sad'. Like my first sentence read, AFE is great oil.

[censored], that means I can use any oil in my BMW and VW, right? I mean there is no evidence right?
On top of that, AFE is synthetic oil so not sure what are you trying to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back