RWD v. FWD for snow use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note that traction control is often part of a completely integrated system and can shift gears, lock or unlock the TC, adjust throttle, adjust timing, operate a brake via abs pump activation, etc.

It's not always separate or distinct from stability control. Differs wildly from make to make.

And in the old daze I spent many a winter in the frozen north. Snow tires are a must, and we did not even know what FWD was. Seems we all got around okay.

Somehow I keep thinking the driver has the most control over this situation.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Somehow I keep thinking the driver has the most control over this situation.

thumbsup2.gif

I agree with that part.

There are those that think you absolutely cannot drive a FWD car on summer tires in the ice. And I mean ice. Not snow. Single digit subfreezing Manitoba winter air below, warm/wet Gulf of Mexico air aloft. It rains and freezes solid on impact. Coating everything in several inches of ice.

I'm in charge of a shop that is 65 miles away from my house. My staff member with the Grand Cherokee on m/s rated Michelins couldn't make it. My staff member with the off road Nexens on an Explorer couldn't make it.

The Mazda made it. Took me nearly 3 hours, but I made it.

I've driven in ice in a Suzuki Swift with 0 electronic nannies with $15.99 Cooper/Western Auto private label tires. The long downhill (must be a 10° grade) was terrifying. But it did well enough nonetheless. Same story with my Sebring Convertible. In fact, the Sebring was really good. The Mustang GT was terrible. I think I limped home in that car at a 45° angle the whole time. It was difficult to drive and maintain momentum on high crowned roads. It was nearly impossible to get moving. Completely impossible to turn. But it made it.

Would winter tires have helped? Absolutely. But then I would have 4 tires in my shed for 2 or 3 years before the next major winter weather event. They would probably dry-rot before being used again. Would I have been able to negotiate the trips better in an AWD? Perhaps. I did see a Subaru stuck in the triangular section between freeway and entrance ramp flailing about trying to get back on the freeway on one of the ice trips. Felt a little bad about leaving her there but I had uphill momentum to conserve and decided that the AWD Subaru goodness would eventually get her moving.

I don't want to break my arm patting myself on the back but I think the driver is the most important part of winter driving. More than AWD/FWD/RWD.

I know they have all these wiz-bang creations on the new AWD and FWD cars these days but my '73 Caddy does me just fine for the most part. As long as there is enough clearance it goes anywhere without posi-traction either. I just have to know when to slow down.

There was a real nasty storm that hit Reno,NV about 5 years ago. It buried the city in 3 feet of snow and shut it down, then headed east towards Salt Lake City. They shut down I-80.

I waited until they opened the road and headed for Reno at midnight from SLC. I had to be in Reno, no chance the drive could be put off. I drove through about 6" of un-plowed snow for over 100 miles and then ice for the remainder of the trip at 60-70mph and sometimes at speeds slower than that when there was snow.

Every 10 or 20 miles for the entire 500 miles I saw an SUV rolled over or stuck in a ditch. I had no problems at all even if it WAS incredibly nerve racking and that was with Firestone FR380's on the car which are terrible on the ice and snow.

I rented a FWD car about a year ago and drove it around in the snow and ice. I couldn't see much improvement over my Caddy. It was just different. I can see, however, that AWD would be superior in many instances although I have never driven an AWD vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back