RWD? FWD? AWD? What's best in snow, by how much?

I've had the Mazda and Subaru systems and as good as the Mazda one is, it slips much easier than the Subaru. I'm basing that on our Impreza, old Forester I had and 2015 Forester I had for a few weeks. The Mazda is heavily FWD biased and it does make a difference.

I can feel when my CX5 starts to transfer torque to the rear during low grip encounters. It's not horrible or anything but I've been spoiled by the AWD in the Evo so it's off-putting and slightly disappointing to feel the AWD engage vs already be engaged although I understand there has to be some compromise.

Last edited:
Most subarus sold are 60:40 with their electronic multiplate clutch, with an automatic or CVT, and when slip occurs, to goes to a 50:50 bias.

Audi Quattro with Ultra Technology is FWD until slip (which up to 100% of torque can be sent to the rear).

Many of the FWD biased AWD system is on AWD mode by default when accelerating from a stop, and then goes back to FWD at speed, until slip occurs/anticipated.

Acura's SH-AWD (and Honda -VTM4) has clutches around rear open differential to function as torque vectoring.

Some of the Toyotas with Dynamic AWD have 2 clutches around the rear open differential to function as torque vectoring, like the higher trims of the RAV4 and Highlander,
Ok. What did I miss?
Yeah, a lot of cars have permanent AWD. I forgot Subaru. Though, here, they are perfect example why tires matter.

Wondering how you could say FWD is just as good as AWD yet you've never had an AWD?
That's a fair point. I never saw the need of the added expense for a few snowfalls a year.

OTOH, I often saw AWD's off in the weeds (slid off the road) because the drivers assumed the AWD would keep that from happening...they may have had marginal tires but IDK that for sure.
When I was teaching my kids to drive I always stressed how to brake on ice or snow (gently and in short taps).....and maintain a good distance from the cars in front of you.

PS: Many years ago I drove the 60ish miles home from work in an icy storm. I had many sliding episodes and even took the longer route to avoid the mountains (approx. 10 miles longer). As I turned into my driveway I let my guard down and the next thing I knew I slid right trough my garage door (the driveway was on a downward incline).

A lot of the issue is most of these AWD cars come with all seasons that are terrible in the snow. AWD gives a false sense of security. If it's icy it won't matter how many wheels are turning. You need traction.

I remember years ago when I was driving a lot there was always some dope driving their precious AWD SUV 60 mph down a highway in snowy/icy conditions that would end up in a ditch a mile down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: pbm
Ok. What did I miss?
Yeah, a lot of cars have permanent AWD. I forgot Subaru. Though, here, they are perfect example why tires matter.
Subarus are front biased with 60:40 as the default.

And you missed Quattro with ultra technology that is FWD until slip

A lot of the issue is most of these AWD cars come with all seasons that are terrible in the snow. AWD gives a false sense of security. If it's icy it won't matter how many wheels are turning. You need traction.

I remember years ago when I was driving a lot there was always some dope driving their precious AWD SUV 60 mph down a highway in snowy/icy conditions that would end up in a ditch a mile down the road.

Speed is one of the biggest culprits, that of course determined by the driver. Even with AWD I drive slower in snow and ice and watch all the impatient drivers go into the ditch or worse.

Cars should be equipped with All Season tires. I wouldn’t want one with snow tires off the lot. People have to know the limitations and when needed get snow tires mounted.

I have been genuinely impressed with how good the Grand Marquis is in the snow

It's been a few years since my mom got rid of her last Towncar, but I seem to remember that the axle weights worked out to about a 55% rear bias. It kind of surprised me to see something RWD so heavy in the back, but there it was. I'm sure the GM isn't quite the same since it's shorter than the Towncar, but I'd also not be surprised if it's close.

In general when talking about RWD and weight distribution, I think a lot of folks forget that in many cars, the engines are mostly if not completely behind the front axle, and the transmission is just about dead center.

My much-beloved Lincoln LS was decent in the snow with good tires, and it also was nearly perfect 50/50.

I drove company provided vehicles for over 30 years to service X-Ray equipment. Never had all wheel drive and mostly had RWD big station wagons that were loaded up with equipment. never missed a trip on snow with anything they gave me to use. Technique of driving is non-agressive and slip tranny into neutral before trying to stop. Works wonders.

That's a fair point. I never saw the need of the added expense for a few snowfalls a year.

OTOH, I often saw AWD's off in the weeds (slid off the road) because the drivers assumed the AWD would keep that from happening...they may have had marginal tires but IDK that for sure.
When I was teaching my kids to drive I always stressed how to brake on ice or snow (gently and in short taps).....and maintain a good distance from the cars in front of you.

PS: Many years ago I drove the 60ish miles home from work in an icy storm. I had many sliding episodes and even took the longer route to avoid the mountains (approx. 10 miles longer). As I turned into my driveway I let my guard down and the next thing I knew I slid right trough my garage door (the driveway was on a downward incline).

I appreciate your honesty. While not part of the question at hand you raise a valid point for some drivers. There are many drivers in AWD or a legitimate 4x4 pick up that can seriously drive in adverse conditions. AND....plenty that just don't have the experience or skill to deal with dynamics of controlling the slide or preparing for the longer distance required to stop.

Where I live AWD is a great option to avoid a larger pick up and increase some mpg. Not everyone needs the utility of a truck. Some drawbacks I've found on the 2 I've owned (08 BMW Xdrive and 17 Outback) is brakes don't seem to last as long as they should and both mine tore up tires compared to FWD. And about 1mpg penalty.

I have to add to this as I easily forget...My ex-wife had a Mercury Mountaineer AWD that was a solid vehicle until a deer hit totaled it.

Reactions: pbm
I've never drove in the snow , but rwd pickups are worthless in the mud. rwd anything else has weight over the rear axle and can go. little fwd cars are so light they don't sink as much and have weight over the drive wheels. awd and 4wd have all the wheels spinning so it matters less where the weight is. i like 4x4 better, because sometimes awd doesnt give enough torque through their baby transfer cases to climb rocks and stuff.

It really depends if we are talking open diff or LSD or what on the 2WD cars. FWD with an open diff is worse than RWD with a good LSD.

AWD is my preference. My Passat is a snow tank with the Torsen awd (Quattro) on just all seasons here in VA. Sportwagen is Haldex awd but still does well. It's mostly driver followed by tires in the end but awd certainly helps with traction starting off/maintaining in loose conditions. I've had a 4x4 Toyota truck, a 4x4 Subaru wagon, a 4x4 XJ Cherokee, 4x4 Ford Explorer which all did great/never had issues with driving in snow. Several fwd cars as well. Atlas is awd same Haldex gen 5 as Sportwagen and is sure-footed. Even our Odyssey wasn't that bad. Slow down. Don't follow too close. Sage wisdom from my 34 years of driving.

So many factors honestly between snow type and the most challenging I think is slush, vehicle weight distribution, and driveline I cannot say what is best.

Also another major factor is driver experience . My wife a 35 year veteran of New England driving on all-seasons is cool as cucumber and almost hold my beer calm as she drives treacherous snowy or icy roads on a 40 mile commute each way to her medical job at hospital currently in her 4motion Tiguan with RT43s she thinks are fine at 4/32”.

4WD>AWD >FWD>RWD

Add snows and they enhance baseline peformance.

To what degree is anyones guess but nothing is as important as the thing behind the steering wheel.

So many factors honestly between snow type and the most challenging I think is slush, vehicle weight distribution, and driveline I cannot say what is best.

Also another major factor is driver experience . My wife a 35 year veteran of New England driving on all-seasons is cool as cucumber and almost hold my beer calm as she drives treacherous snowy or icy roads on a 40 mile commute each way to her medical job at hospital currently in her 4motion Tiguan with RT43s she thinks are fine at 4/32”.
Driver is THE major factor.

It's been a few years since my mom got rid of her last Towncar, but I seem to remember that the axle weights worked out to about a 55% rear bias. It kind of surprised me to see something RWD so heavy in the back, but there it was. I'm sure the GM isn't quite the same since it's shorter than the Towncar, but I'd also not be surprised if it's close.

In general when talking about RWD and weight distribution, I think a lot of folks forget that in many cars, the engines are mostly if not completely behind the front axle, and the transmission is just about dead center.

My much-beloved Lincoln LS was decent in the snow with good tires, and it also was nearly perfect 50/50.

For sure- these aren't as front heavy as I would expect them to be. I also have about 240 pounds of cat litter and concrete mix in the back of the trunk behind the rear axle. It also backs through the snowbank at the end of the driveway without issue. The Subaru was AWD but it would just high center. This is so heavy it just plows (almost literally) through.

One of the best (if not THE best) vehicle in snow that I've owned was my 2002 Buick Century. (as I mentioned in earlier posts I've never had an AWD vehicle). Even with All Season tires it did very good in snow.

One of the best (if not THE best) vehicle in snow that I've owned was my 2002 Buick Century. (as I mentioned in earlier posts I've never had an AWD vehicle). Even with All Season tires it did very good in snow.
B/c....driver mod. Always the driver over tires and over the vehicle's drive system.

No way in hell RWD is better than FWD in the snow. All the weight is up front. I grew up in NJ and have been through many major snowstorms over the years. I also spent considerable time in upstate NY and the vehicles that always got stuck the most were RWD.
Depends. I've heard that Porsches and old Beetles (and Kübelwagen) are pretty good in the snow...

Back