RWD? FWD? AWD? What's best in snow, by how much?

I commuted to work over mountains for years and never had an AWD vehicle. In my experience a FWD vehicle with 4 snow tires is just as good as AWD. I guess AWD with 4 snow tires would be even better but I never bothered getting one.
You likely couldn't even leave my driveway without AWD in the snow, no matter what tires you had on.

I commuted to work over mountains for years and never had an AWD vehicle. In my experience a FWD vehicle with 4 snow tires is just as good as AWD. I guess AWD with 4 snow tires would be even better but I never bothered getting one.

Wondering how you could say FWD is just as good as AWD yet you've never had an AWD?

Not my experience. I prefer the ability to pick and choose when I want 4x4 as an option like in most 4x4 pick up trucks. I've lived in the Northeast and have been driving for 34 years; extensive time behind the wheel is snow in northern New England states. For a non-truck IME nothing compares to AWD vehicles. The ones I've used are BMW X Drive system and the AWD on Subaru. I had winter tires for the BMW and oh my that vehicle was insanely good in snow.

Currently we only have 1 FWD vehicle in the fleet (12 RAV4) and it does well but can't hold a candle to the Outback and we won't compare it to the F150 as that isn't reasonable.

Most times I leave for work back roads in rural areas are not plowed. When the snow reaches the ride height of the vehicle I’ll take AWD any day of the week the above video is about worthless I’d drive any vehicle with a proper tire on them roads.

I would own AWD in the desert. As a high performance car set up for hitting the corners, I way prefer AWD over RWD or FWD. I raced a FWD car when I was younger, so I can feel what I gained between the two. Even when the AWD car has the cheaper FWD bias system that I have. Having Audi's top tier Torsen system would even be better.

As far as pro road racing, back in the 80's, ( I will start the video at the proper place for you) Audi was banned in both SCCA Trans-Am Series and then the next year in IMSA GTO Series because they were 4WD. AWD/4WD has been banned ever since, just too much of an unfair advantage in race cars.

Last edited:
Most times I leave for work back roads in rural areas are not plowed. When the snow reaches the ride height of the vehicle I’ll take AWD any day of the week the above video is about worthless I’d drive any vehicle with a proper tire on them roads.
Packed down snow is a lot slicker than fluffy snow. I can do all sorts of hoonery in fluffy snow. Cars stick to it like they're on dry pavement. That packed down stuff? Oh...she slide.

On ice-FWD, manual transmission beats all of them! Loose snow, above the rockers/hubs-then it’s AWD/4X4 time (not common here). The 4WD issue, in my book, is high center of gravity combined with driver overconfidence (AND the wrong OEM tires)!

I would own AWD in the desert. As a high performance car set up for hitting the corners, I way prefer AWD over RWD or FWD. I raced FWD car when I was younger so I can feel what I gained between the two. Even when the AWD car has the cheaper FWD bias system that I have. Having Audi's top tier Torsen system would even be better.

As far as pro road racing, back in the 80's, ( I will start the video at the proper place for you) Audi was banned in both SCCA Trans-Am Series and then the next year in IMSA GTO Series because they were 4WD. AWD/4WD has been banned ever since, just too much of an unfair advantage in race cars.

Some people will still tell you they'd bet on a 3-legged horse in a race...

That video is Worthless because it doesn't show real world driving on the snow.

People don't see how fast they can drive, or in the case of the video, drift around a snow covered course free of other vehicles, telephone poles, curbs, pedestrians..in the real world.

I can think of no better way to test it than in the same car on the same day...

Not really...

FWD and AWD versions of DWD cars have a weight bias towards the fron, RWD cars tend to have close to equal weight distribution. PU trucks are front heavy again but RWD if 4WD isn't engaged.

Many drivers don't realize that All Wheel Drive is not All Wheel Stop or All Wheel Turn.
But many do, realize it. If not, they get pushed into a learning curve within seconds and then again the next time within seconds if they thought the first indecent was a fluke until they learn. I see just as many dumb-ars drivers with 2WD in the ditch/snowbank as AWD. And I have a good handle on what vehicle have what drive systems. But I will give you 4WD truck guys with the big tire seem to have a longer learning curve. Example: A week or two ago it rained here in Minneapolis and in my area there was a 1/4 inch of 100% ice rink on the back roads and a truck came down it at about 40 mph. I looked and said "Idiot".

FWD is last in snow. I've had / have all forms of drives. I'll drive a RWD with snow tires places a FWD with snows can only dream about. Once a FWD loses traction steering goes away along with forward drive. I've done many a hill skewed with rear tires spinning and up we go.
Modern traction control is more of a hinderance than a help when you have winter driving skills. It kills your speed and momentum when you need it.
My FWD only got studded snows, only thing that made them drivable in more than a couple inches.
Best is AWD or 4x4 with a posi rear if you want to go uphill. Then you have at least 3-wheel drive.
Steering on slippery roads is all the same as well as braking no matter the drivetrain.
Engine braking is always better with all 4 wheels being driven though.

Some people will still tell you they'd bet on a 3-legged horse in a race...
I guess we have proof Audi and AWD/4WD beat all the 3 legged horses, (in two different series ) to the point of banning them for life. ( No citation needed)

I live in the DC metro area. We tend to get 1 or 2 inches of snow when we get snow. I've never owned anything but a RWD car. I've always put 4 snows on the cars and have never gotten stuck.

Back