Running Moly in diffs and transfercase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

this post is to record my ongoing experimment in using moly in my Wrangler. last year added moly to diffs, i had a little barely perceptable whining in diffs, probably due to age , gone. I took trip to florida, 2400 miles round trip, excellant road manners. now I have used in my np231 transcase, so far smooth, one side benefit and i dont know why? my trans and engine seem to idle/shift smoother. I am not expert,but I know my vehicle, runs smoother.........:)

I am now going to try in PS system, only one left. It is in good shape and not leaking or making noise.

any info appreciated

ps i have used lubromoly, not an endorsement......:)

ps ps I am going to try dry moly 3-5 micron powder, to get past filters, and make my own mix carrier fluid, but, at $50 for 16 ounces expensiive...ouch.....;)

PS ps ps due to reading on internet, general consensous two table spoons or 50ml per quart....:)

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you can have better idling with moly in the differentials and transfer case. They are not doing anything at that time.
If there are no limited slip clutches, moly should be good for the differentials and drive gears.

What LubroMoly product have you used in these? It is all LubroMoly's LiquiMoly engine treatment?
I'm not sure I would put that in a differential. They might make something specifically for Diff's with a high moly count.

I am curious about your Power Steering project. I've thought about adding a few Fluid Oz. to a power Steering, but havn't found anything to support that it should quiet a noisy one down without significantly changing the makeup of the fluid.

Did you use the LM gear additive 2019?

sorry for the big picture
eek.gif

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/usa_2019.html
2019.jpg

The 16oz of dry moly is a lot of moly (that is why it is so expensive), although I do not know whether the 16oz refers to actual weight or volume. It should be by weight since it is not fluid ounces. I doubt you will be getting a pint of moly. If you can, can you post a picture of the amount of moly you get for $50. You could probably treat 100+ differentials with that much moly. According to the MSDS for the gear moly additive (#2019), it contains 10% (+ - 3%) of moly. I do not know if that is by weight or volume. The MOS2 engine moly additive (#2009) contains between 0.5% and 1.5% moly. That is not that much. You can see how little is used per application.

Putting it in the power steering will be an interesting application. I wonder why no fluid manufacturer puts moly in their PS oil.

I am trying to find an MSDS for the Lubegard power steering additive to see if they use moly. lube gard PS additive

hi all

a reminder, NEVER use moly in automatic trans or wet clutches types....:(

yes that pic i what i used in my diffs, for my transcase, which uses atf4, i used a soluable moly product i read about on bmw/mercedes forums, they are big on moly use. for my power steering i used a little left over Lubromoly engine treatment, probably less then two table spoons of liquid, i thought that it was safe, not that much carrier oil, and enough moly to help that close system in ps system.i think, as driving has proved, so far this shoud be safe. of course do at your own risk, also the system is fine, not noisy or vibrating etc. so i am not trying to "fix" anything. just trying to extend part life on my vehicle.
also i find the smoother a part runs, the smoother the vehicle runs.
as to the engine running smoother, perhaps more accurate is "quieter". if you you know anything about jeeps they can get really noisy, the noise level went down considerably
to the issue of the price of the expensive 16 ounces, well if you divided the amount used, plus the cost of carriers used; atf, oil, ps fluid etc,. so in the long run, i think it is cheaper, it can get expensive, when i spend $8-10 a pop to buy, i do at least 3-4 oil changes a year etc. i like lubromoly, but you can use amsiol, sheaffers etc, there are many products out there. i just wanted to do something that i have seen provide me tangible benefits, quieter smoother, "less" small vibrations while running down the street, nothing to do with "death wobble" or drive line vibrations in my daily driver.

while others do magic brew engine oil mixes, i just dont dare, just my little corner where i think i understand what is going on......:)

in couple months i am going to oil analyses to see if the moly is in there, and how much, i'll post it..........;)

hi all

just a small update, power steering running fine, though i feel like i am the only one to do this?

I am HIGHLY reommending, do search on internet and READ extensively, before you try......:) and do mixes............:)........good luck....:)

Originally Posted By: 97TJ
hi all

just a small update, power steering running fine, though i feel like i am the only one to do this?

I am HIGHLY reommending, do search on internet and READ extensively, before you try......:) and do mixes............:)........good luck....:)

I am sure you are one of the few people who has tried it. You are probably the first on BITOG.

Can you show a picture of what a pound of Moly looks like.

How much did you add to the oil (1/4 teaspoon, etc)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back