Rules of the road - come add your annoyances

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Ontario we have a strange system where there's posted speed limits and then enforced speed limits, 20 km/h over. Usually going 10-15 over keeps people from road raging behind someone, but on the weekends when the tourists show up, things can get crazy on 2 lane roads. I'm sure many crashes occur with people doing unsafe passes as they know they can do 20 over without a problem from the law.
Other than that, most drivers are pretty decent and respectful in my rural area and driving is usually stress free.

I can report a new annoyance. It's the recent rule of moving over a lane if there is a police stop at the side of the freeway. The rule states that a car must move over if there is space available in the next lane.

I find a lot of people now scramble to move over to the next lane in heavy traffic. This causes a chain of people to jam on their brakes to the point you can hear screeching tires. Very easy to get into a crash. I've been surprised more that once like this.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
....The left lane is a PASSING lane. It is not where you drive. It is for passing the car in front of you, and then you move over to the right lane as soon as it is safe to do so. The only exception is when traffic is very heavy and both/all traffic lanes are used. But once traffic thins out, the left lane again is transferred into a passing lane only.

+1 And don't express your displeasure with me "riding your Tail" by giving me a "Brake Check".......it'll only make me angrier!

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The law in many states is that unless otherwise posted the MERGING car has the right of way on a limited access highway.
In practice, the brain dead will run you right into a bridge support rather than yield.

Got a cite? I've always known it as, established traffic has right of way. Quick look reveals the same.

I found this article which pointed out two states with interesting bits:

Quote:

Most states are like NASA and SCCA racing, where there are specific rules giving the right of way to one lane. But Illinois is like LeMons racing, where both lanes are expected to cooperate.

Then there's Texas, which specifically allows merging traffic to drive on the shoulder after the lane, and to accelerate on that shoulder, if it's necessary to secure a spot in traffic.

The discrepancies in state law aside, I think that if you asked most people, and particularly most people who identify as "car guys," they'd tell you that safely merging onto a freeway is the absolute and complete responsibility of the cars arriving from the on-ramp. Most of us have a particular loathing for drivers who aren't paying attention, and the typical uncaring merger is the poster child for that sort of behavior. It's frustrating to have to hit the brakes just because the idiot in the CUV coming onto the Interstate isn't paying attention.
Quote:

Yet the older I get, the more charitable I'm inclined to be towards those incompetent on-rampers. If you think about it for a moment, you'll realize that merging onto a freeway is the most demanding task most drivers will ever face. They are accelerating up a hill into a situation that requires they look both ahead and behind them. Yeah, a competent operator can look well ahead, observe the position of every vehicle in the lane, and slot right in, but most people aren't very good at looking ahead on the road. If you want an idea of how far most drivers look ahead on the road, wait until the next time you see a state trooper on the median and watch how late people are hitting their brakes. It's rare to see them display more than forty or fifty feet of forward awareness.

Have to say, that can be pretty true. I can usually tell who's a regular on I89, there are a couple of meridians where troopers like to hang out--regulars do a brake tap, slow down or at least gawk as they go by.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
....have you tried round-and-round ramps that are putting you (25-maybe35MPH, really tight ramp) merging with low visibility into 65+MPH traffic...

No, and I'm sure I wouldn't care much for them.

We have some highway intersections, here and there, where the on ramp comes before the off ramp. And neither has any sort of appropriate length of roadway to come up to speed or slow down.

People using the left lane incorrectly.

People using the center turn lane as a merge lane.

People riding bicycles who do not follow the rules of the road.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: wemay
Car in front of me, sitting at a traffic light after it has turned green because they are on their cell phone.

it's called 1,2,3 -HONK!!!

Not in my neck of the woods. It's 1-honk.

Drivers practically cutting you off to be first at a red light only to poke along at the same pace as the vehicles next to them when the light turns green.

1). People driving in the left lane, slower than the speed limit, weaving because they're texting with the phone on the steering wheel! Idiots....

2). Don't understand the concept of YIELD and MERGE upon entering a higher speed freeway. They poke-e-doke as you described, cause a backup and a very dangerous delta-V situation.

3). When their lane ends, they need to brake/merge. Not me. Failure to YIELD.

4). Wait until I'm very close, doing 60mph, THEN DECIDE to pull out in front of me, from a dead stop, into my lane. I have the right of way, they don't.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Oh, one more.

2) The merge lane on freeways. Most/all modern cars have enough power to accelerate up to freeway speeds in the merge lane. If the highway you are merging with has a speed limit of 70 mph, then you need to be going 70 miles per hour at the time of merge. Its the skinny pedal on the right - use it, it works. I see people merging at 45 mph which causes all kinds of havoc behind them and even leads to crashes.

We are in no way required to get up to the speed limit when merging onto a freeway. I merge on going 55 mph (for 55-65 moh speeds) and will continue to go that speed. We just need to safely merge on and use our turn signal...I will continue to do 10 mph under the speed LIMIT with joy.

Oh here is one that erks me:
1. Idiots who think the speed limit is a minimum required speed and put others in danger because they feel the need to go over the speed limit everywhere
smile.gif

As long as I am in the right most lane you should leave me alone.

2. The passing lane is a passing lane regardless of speed. If I am going 60 and passing truckers...I am not doing anything wrong, sorry you want to go 75.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The law in many states is that unless otherwise posted the MERGING car has the right of way on a limited access highway.
In practice, the brain dead will run you right into a bridge support rather than yield.

I would also like a cite, or name these states. Until then I will still curse and "obscene salute" all those: "They have to let me in" mergers.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
People who won't turn right on red where legal.

And then there are those folks that think the right on red is just a yield sign, and turn right in front of you instead of coming to a stop first.

I HATE: Rual drivers on two lane highways that drive on the gravel shoulder at 60 MPH as you approach from the rear.

They do this as as a "courtesy" so you can pass when safe. Well you can't pass a duelly in half a lane when traffic is occupied by oncoming traffic, or in a curve. So until it is safe to pass they throw the gravel shoulder all over the front of your car and Windshield. Please, Stay in your lane and I will pass when safe.

Living in Texas and New Mexico, I have had to replace the windshield in every car I have owned due to these helpful drivers!

a few things that get me (that have not been mentioned) are those that speed up to get in front of you (when you are doing the speed limit or even a little higher) then slow down to turn, when there are no cars behind you. They could have just slowed a little, gotten behind me, and turned without bothering anyone. Similar to the speed up to get in front of you the just drive slower once in front of you.

The other is related to the left lane for passing only, when you have 2 cars doing the 1 mph race, one goes a little faster then the other, then the other speeds up, and back and forth, and then they slow down, all while never leaving space for anyone to pass.

Then you have those that are crossing traffic, they will pull out an block traffic coming from the left, yet will not pull out in front of cars coming from the right. Why is it OK to block one side and not the other?

My main beef is kind of a catchall. You need to leave yourself a huge margin of error or simple probability states that if you drive enough, you'll get into a lot of accidents. Apparently, most don't realize this. Aggressive driving = low intelligence.

In our area merge means you get in and keep on moving left until you hit the left lane and then stay there until your exit comes in. Then you brake hard and THEN put on your blinker to cut off other two lanes to take the exit.

The left lane for passing only has a propensity to stack up the right lane making entrance ramps a real problem

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I'll reiterate your number 1 x 1000000000000000000000000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!

I've been doing a lot of highway driving this year, and it just flat out [censored] me off how ignorant and selfish left lane hogs are. I'm sure the majority of them don't think about the law and don't look in the mirror, but my goodness.

They think about the law, and because they're already going 3mph over the speed limit, well then F you and your desire to go 80 to pass them for whatever reason.

I go 55-70 on the freeway, depending upon traffic load (light traffic = drive slower, since it won't cause any issues), but I *always* remain in the far right lane, unless I am passing a driver, or allowing people to merge onto the freeway.

The only time I get honked at in the far right lane is on US 1 here in Melbourne, because for some reason the slow lane is the far left lane, and the right lane is treated as the fast lane when traveling North. South, the left lane is again the fast lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back