Ruger MKII, MKII or MKIV

I would like to hear from someone that is familiar with these three models? I am very familiar with the MKII I had a couple of them, over the years I ended up selling them. I had a competition model, and I am looking to get either a hunter or a competition model. I know them MK III has the magazine release in different location, and it also has that safety to let you know when the gun is loaded. (Loaded chamber indicator) The MKIV it's totally changed up. With the easy takedown and all.

Last edited:
i’m literally picking up a gently used ruger mark4 this afternoon. i love the ruger sr22 and single six. my first handgun experience was on a ruger mark1 eons ago. what kept me from buying one before was the awful fieldstrip process. an added benefit to the mark4 is the swappable barrel.

i’m literally picking up a gently used ruger mark4 this afternoon. i love the ruger sr22 and single six. my first handgun experience was on a ruger mark1 eons ago. what kept me from buying one before was the awful fieldstrip process. an added benefit to the mark4 is the swappable barrel.
Thank you. I didn't know they were swappable.. which model are you getting?

Last edited:
Thank you. I didn't know they were swappable.. which model are you getting?
i got the bull barrel “original,” not 22/45, mark4. i prefer the nambu/luger style angled grip of the original design. i also bought hogue rubber replacement grips, two extra mags and an additional, traditional, pencil barrel.

i took my new mark4 to the shooting range last night. fed it mostly cci minimag and some aguila super extra ammo, all 400 rounds functioned fine. i tried both of my barrels plus a buddy’s 22/45 mark4 “lite” barrel. the bull barrel seemed more accurate but i prefer the look and handiness of the thinner pencil barrel. the “lite” barrel on the steel alloy frame of my mark4 felt a tad unbalanced, but it was great to try all three barrels…a true goldilocks shooting experience.

complaints are minor: mags are harder to load than those of my lovely ruger sr22. trigger reset is a tad long and indistinct. changing grips requires a hex wrench.

some folks go down a rabbit hole customizing these pistols…i must resist, really i must…

my ruger sr22 remains my forever favorite semiauto pistol of any caliber. it is an often travel- and even carry-piece. the mark4 is a tad large to carry but otherwise is an excellent, time-proven choice.

the photo below is my mark4’s first mag at 7 yards with pencil barrel and rubber grips. kindly disregard my dismal accuracy and cheap targets.

IMG_6479.jpeg

i got the bull barrel “original,” not 22/45, mark4. i prefer the nambu/luger style angled grip of the original design. i also bought hogue rubber replacement grips, two extra mags and an additional, traditional, pencil barrel.

i took my new mark4 to the shooting range last night. fed it mostly cci minimag and some aguila super extra ammo, all 400 rounds functioned fine. i tried both of my barrels plus a buddy’s 22/45 mark4 “lite” barrel. the bull barrel seemed more accurate but i prefer the look and handiness of the thinner pencil barrel. the “lite” barrel on the steel alloy frame of my mark4 felt a tad unbalanced, but it was great to try all three barrels…a true goldilocks shooting experience.

complaints are minor: mags are harder to load than those of my lovely ruger sr22. trigger reset is a tad long and indistinct. changing grips requires a hex wrench.

some folks go down a rabbit hole customizing these pistols…i must resist, really i must…

my ruger sr22 remains my forever favorite semiauto pistol of any caliber. it is an often travel- and even carry-piece. the mark4 is a tad large to carry but otherwise is an excellent, time-proven choice.

the photo below is my mark4’s first mag at 7 yards with pencil barrel and rubber grips. kindly disregard my dismal accuracy and cheap targets.

View attachment 153053

Thank you very much for the update, I'm probably going to take a ride over to the range tomorrow, I would like to handle the MK IV Target I did handle the light I did not like that, do want to handle the target, and pay attention a little bit more to everything, I found a really good deal on the MK III Hunter but I know that one has the loaded chamber indicator, which can be deleted. But since you told me, about the threaded barrels, for the MKIV that's like having a couple guns in one. LOL!! I got out of shooting several years ago, and during that time, I really didn't think I was going to get back into it, because of numerous health issues and friends I used to go with passed away, I'm just getting older and I have several back issues and I ended up selling a few over guns and my safe over the years, just replaced the safe last week! the hi powered revolvers, I probably won't replace. I don't need that pain. But I would like to replace my 22 that I got rid of, because I enjoyed plinking with that, in between other guns. Especially with the price of ammo..

Last edited by a moderator:
hi scott s, best fortune on your 22lr shopping expedition! a few random notes:

check out utube videos, sootch is a decent reviewer who also fieldstrips his pistols on screen.

the bull barrel comes standard on the mark4 target model. the pencil barrel standard mark4’s are substantially higher cost. dumb me i should have just bought the latter as i like the pencil barrel, but if i hadn’t the bull barrel is fine.

be sure to handle both the original and 22/45 mark4 models, their grips are totally different. i obviously prefer the former.

it’s not a threaded barrel that swaps out, the barrel is actually the serialized receiver, with the bolt sliding out. when you handle one you will understand.

do check out the ruger sr22. also very easy to fieldstrip, which is one of my priorities. very handy and easy to carry. not customizable. mags are much noticeably easier to load; our fingers don’t age well, haha, though mag loading gadgets for the mark4 are sold on ebay. if you can, you won’t regret loading a mag and fieldstripping your choices before purchasing.

a 22lr pistol is an essential piece of kit. shooting 22lr is easy on the body, the senses and the wallet.

yeah i know all about “caliber war” arguments against 22lr pistols. these aren’t issued to grunts or cops, won’t stop a crazed 300lb meth-head or a gangbanger or a grizzly bear… none of those are my situation but if my life choices, luck and awareness don’t hold, after 20k rounds through it, i am confidently able to put multiple 600+ mph icepick jabs where i want with my ruger sr22, if need be.

so, whatever, just go have some fun with a 22lr pistol!

Last edited:
hi scott s, best fortune on your 22lr shopping expedition! a few random notes:

check out utube videos, sootch is a decent reviewer who also fieldstrips his pistols on screen.

the bull barrel comes standard on the mark4 target model. the pencil barrel standard mark4’s are substantially higher cost. dumb me i should have just bought the latter as i like the pencil barrel, but if i hadn’t the bull barrel is fine.

be sure to handle both the original and 22/45 mark4 models, their grips are totally different. i obviously prefer the former.

it’s not a threaded barrel that swaps out, the barrel is actually the serialized receiver, with the bolt sliding out. when you handle one you will understand.

do check out the ruger sr22. also very easy to fieldstrip, which is one of my priorities. very handy and easy to carry. not customizable. mags are much noticeably easier to load; our fingers don’t age well, haha, though mag loading gadgets for the mark4 are sold on ebay. if you can, you won’t regret loading a mag and fieldstripping your choices before purchasing.

a 22lr pistol is an essential piece of kit. shooting 22lr is easy on the body, the senses and the wallet.

yeah i know all about “caliber war” arguments against 22lr pistols. these aren’t issued to grunts or cops, won’t stop a crazed 300lb meth-head or a gangbanger or a grizzly bear… none of those are my situation but if my life choices, luck and awareness don’t hold, after 20k rounds through it, i am confidently able to put multiple 600+ mph icepick jabs where i want with my ruger sr22, if need be.

so, whatever, just go have some fun with a 22lr pistol!
I've taken apart my mk II when I had it a lot of times, I used to just keep paper clip, a wooden dowel, and soft plastic mallet. To reassemble.. I'm looking on guns.com, and I see exactly what you're talking about.

Hello all I believe that I found the one that I like is the MKIV Hunter, with the fluted barrel. My question is to anyone who has the MK IV do they have the same jamming problem as the MKIII because of the loaded chamber indicator?
Thank you

Someone made or makes an LCI delete part that is virtually invisible when installed and fixes the problem. Have one on my MkIII Target.
Maybe there's one for the IV?

The reason the take down is hard is lack of familiarity. Yes it's fussy but do it every day for a week and it's no problem next time.

Someone made or makes an LCI delete part that is virtually invisible when installed and fixes the problem. Have one on my MkIII Target.
Maybe there's one for the IV?

The reason the take down is hard is lack of familiarity. Yes it's fussy but do it every day for a week and it's no problem next time.
I don't think the take down is hard at all I owned a MKII competition model, and a anniversary edition, so I'm very familiar, with field stripping them. I do know about, LCI delete the next generation doesn't have one..
Thank you though yes

Well I made the decision, I always loved, my MK II competition model, I regretfully had to sell it, many many years ago. So I decided to get another one but the MKIV. I have it on my way right now at Bud's.. I'll get it out in 2 weeks..

Having a .22 is great.

But it’s just for plinking. It’s like owning one socket when you really need a set.

I’ve got other pistols for other uses.

Yeah I wanted a 22 to plink with, since I recently got back into shooting, I do have other guns, that I also shoot with.. but it gets expensive shooting just them..

Last edited:
Back