ruger MK IV 22lr

This is a Ruger Mark II Bill Ruger Commemorative. It was the last of the Mark II's produced. They came with Cocobolo grips like this one, as well as faux Ivory grips. But they all had the red Ruger Crest on them like yours.

C5byeXX.jpg
Cocobolo..mmmmm (I said that like its bacon) ..can you even get it anymore?
Sweet piece.

Ergonomics, grips, trigger assembly. Feels like a premium version of Ruger 22/45. Accuracy and fun-factor is same between the two, Buckmark is just more pleasant, not so rough around the edges, compared to the 22/45. Reliability is same between the two, in my experience.

Everyone chooses their own ergonomic winner.

I like them both very much as well as the predecessor to the Buck Mark the Colt Woodsman- John Browning was a genius no doubt.

The Mk1-3 are a bear to reassemble, advantage Buckmark, but the Mk IV is awesome and much easier - advantage back to Ruger

The aftermarket nod goes to Ruger.

The Buck Mark uses a steel slide and barrel but an aluminum frame and I dont know what the long term effect is on longevity with steel against aluminum vs. steel on steel w the Ruger, I've never heard of anyone wearing out a Buck Mark.

i have MKII 5 inch bull barrel. lots of fun ,especially when 22lr was cheap. could burn 500 rounds at the range in a day. unfortunately mine was made before they drilled and tapped the top for a rail. Called Ruger and they said be a $100 to do it. and in shipping and i may as well buy a new one .

I've had the Ruger Mk I my grandfather gave me since I was a kid. Later got a Mk II to go with it (different barrel lengths). Once I got the hang of take-down and reassembly, it was no more difficult than an obnoxious recoil spring on a 1911 . . . Seems most folks in Gunlandistan (NOT addressing anyone here) want something that is a no brainer to take apart. Anything more complex than a single shot 12 gauge is over their head. I know TOO many folks like that. They've never cleaned their guns because it's too complicated to take apart.

Pity those folks in the days of the Krag-Jorgensen, the Parabellum, the SMLE or M97 Winchester pump... even the Garand. Guns are like any other machine - if you don't like the design, there are others. Sort of like Ford, Chevy, Ram, Yota, etc . . .

Speaking of take downs, my eternal beef with Glock is that a superior, and much easier takedown mechanism existed with Walther (P38) Parabellum (P08), Beretta 1951 and later 92, SIG, etc . . . the side frame take down swing down lever. That's my personal pet peeve, doesn't mean I don't use the Glock . . .

Curious, what makes the Buckmark better?

The wife wants a Buckmark.

Personally I prefer the looks of the Ruger.

But I’ve never fired either.
Basically this:
Ergonomics, grips, trigger assembly. Feels like a premium version of Ruger 22/45. Accuracy and fun-factor is same between the two, Buckmark is just more pleasant, not so rough around the edges, compared to the 22/45. Reliability is same between the two, in my experience.
To me they feel like a 4Runner vs GX460, or a V6 Camry vs ES350. Same, but one is more rugged/utilitarian, while the other one is a premium-ish offering with nicer touch points, "finer tuned"(?). But they're both great, both will likely last a lifetime. I just like Buckmark a lot more at the range.

Last edited:
Curious, what makes the Buckmark better?

The wife wants a Buckmark.

Personally I prefer the looks of the Ruger.

But I’ve never fired either.

ease of fieldstripping, price/availability of extras and modifications, warranty support all point me to ruger.

ruger pretty much owns the rimfire handgun market: charger, standard, 22/45, sr22, lcp22, lcr, single six, bearcat, wrangler.

ease of fieldstripping, price/availability of extras and modifications, warranty support all point me to ruger.

ruger pretty much owns the rimfire handgun market: charger, standard, 22/45, sr22, lcp22, lcr, single six, bearcat, wrangler.
She just likes the Buckmark, so I think I’m going to get her one for her birthday.

Like I say, I haven’t shot either; I have read about the differences with the new Mark IV.

Im actually intrigued by the 10-shot .22LR revolvers on the market.

S&W, Colt, Ruger, Taurus, and possibly others all make a 10-round capacity wheelgun.

I looked around a bit, and couldn’t find any of the Colts, which apparently were just released at SHOT last summer. I did find one video on YouTube where a guy pre-ordered and pre-paid for one and then discovered it had a flawed barrel crown. It seems that QC continues to be elusive to Colt.

I bought a Buckmark . It shot WAY to the left . I ran out of adjustment on the rear sight and it barely made any difference . I probably should have returned it to Browning but I was so disappointed that I traded it off .

I have 2 of them. A Stainless Mark IV Hunter, and the Bill Ruger 100 Year Commemorative. I also have a Mark III, and several Mark II's. Based only on the ease of takedown, the Mark IV is the only one to consider. It comes apart like an O/U shotgun. All the others are a struggle, believe me.

I won't even take them apart. What I do is remove the grips, (if they're wooden), and wash the entire pistol in clean Kerosene. Then blow it dry with compressed air. I then relube it and reinstall the grips. And it's cleaner than when I took it out of the box.

The 100 Year Commemorative I have not fired. It came with a matching knife and leather scabbard with the Ruger logo on both. The Stainless Hunter has had around 2 bricks through it so far. (1,000 rounds). All without a single malfunction. It likes High Velocity ammunition, and is quite accurate with it.

JCp5eHE.jpg

oxIknB0.jpg
I have a Mark III Hunter and honestly it's one of the best guns that I own, mine has the same fluted barrel with fiber optic sights and the wood grips. I have no plans to sell mine and plan on keeping it forever.

I have a Mark III Hunter and honestly it's one of the best guns that I own, mine has the same fluted barrel with fiber optic sights and the wood grips. I have no plans to sell mine and plan on keeping it forever.
This is my Mark III. It's a nice pistol, and the only Mark III I own. But I much favor the Mark IV because of the painless takedown feature. But I love the one piece grips. I have large hands, and these grips fill them nicely.

N1ANN4L.jpg

She just likes the Buckmark, so I think I’m going to get her one for her birthday.
These are a few of my Browning Buckmark's. They're well made pistol, and I've never had any issues with them. They're a little more difficult to customize when it comes to grips, because they have so many that are model specific.

The Buckmarks aren't that easy to takedown. In fact the manual recommends they not be disassembled. As to which one is "better", like so many guns, it's a matter of personal choice.

The target model Ruger's are heavier, while the Buckmark's, having Aluminum frames, are considerably lighter. For a woman that could well be an advantage.

h6wk2W3.jpg

ZS02uEN.jpg

TZBB1WO.jpg

If you do take down a Buckmark, this little diagram comes in handy as to screw size, and type that is required for reassembly. If you ever lose or damage any of them. (I keep a few of them on hand just in case).

The 1/4" X 28 X 3/4L pointed set screw that holds the barrel in place, has Loctite applied on many of the newer models of the Buckmark. Hence the factory warning not to disassemble.

I've heard of a few guys stripping out that screw by trying to gorilla it off. I've never had any of mine apart. They're not that difficult to clean. If mine get really dirty, I'll clean them the same way I do my Ruger Mark pistols.

Pull the grips and give it a good wash in clean Kerosene, followed by a compressed air blow dry. It's unbelievable how much crap that will wash out. I clean all of my magazines much the same way.

tNipxl2.jpg

My Browning Buckmark Camper is same as the one pictured below. Aftermarket support is non-existent basically... But in original unmodified form it I picked it over the original unmodified Ruger 22/45. No regrets, yet...

View attachment 135401View attachment 135402
Mine had the same grey / black rubber grips. (Bottom gun in the top photo). I replaced them with Browning wood grips from Midwest Gun Works. They have one of the best selections of original Browning parts for the Buckmark series.

And if you're unsure about the fit, they have knowledgeable people on the phone who you can talk to, who will clarify either way.

Back