Rufford Ford - cars drinking water.

Rufford Ford - Deep water compilation

Stumbled upon this a couple weeks back and have been hooked on the YouTube compilations. After some research on fords I now know why fording depth was such a key selling point for Land Rovers as GB has pretty much all of them. Australia has a deadly one where one wrong judgement call has your car washing off into a river full of crocodiles.

My only takeaway after watching hours of these videos is quite a number of folks could have made it if they didn't come in so hot and create a wave over the hood/bonnet. You see when they die midway and stop in the water that the water line is well below where the intake should be (based on all my previous cars typically where hood and grill meet so at the top).

That is never a good idea. Even in a vehicle that makes it across. Water gets in everywhere, and over time ruins things. It will get in the headlight assemblies sometimes. The rovers seemed to do best.

That is never a good idea. Even in a vehicle that makes it across. Water gets in everywhere, and over time ruins things. It will get in the headlight assemblies sometimes. The rovers seemed to do best.

From what I gather most of the time it is well under a foot deep and its just a deep puddle drive, seems winter rainy season is when it gets impassible during rain storms.

I don't care how far around it is, I'm not crossing if the water level is higher than the floor pan.

If you wish to take a look around the area. Kinda odd that it is designed the way it is, but I guess they had good reason, at some point.

Back