Rubber Tire and Rim Question

I would like to get a 'spare' tire for my 2021 Ford Escape AWD.
Ford does not offer a donut tire as an option. Edit: well maybe they do.
Which means I would need to get a full size tire & rim / I'm ok with that.

My 2021 came with 225/65R17 tires (installed 2020 thru 2021).
The junkyard I called had no 2021 (or 2020) Escapes.
But did have a 2019 which comes with 235/55R17 (installed 2013 thru 2019).
The width difference is 10mm (.393")

I will check the center hole diameter and lug pattern, if all looks good then-
Question: Can you put a 225mm wide tire on a (steel) rim that had a 235mm tire on it ?
My concern is the bead area getting a good seal with no added stress to the tire.

I stopped at a Tire Shop and was told, "it would be fine"

So, ok to buy ?
Or should I call more junkyards and get the specific year (2020 or 2021) ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
235/55/17 tire has 4.6% smaller diameter compared to 225/65/17. For most AWD systems this would be a problem, but I'm not sure about the particular AWD system in your Escape. The vehicle will handle weird anyway. Personally, I would get the correct size tire.

Also, 235/55/17 tire has lower load index than what came from the factory, so that's another no no.

235/55/17 tire has 4.6% smaller diameter compared to 225/65/17. For most AWD systems this would be a problem, but I'm not sure about the particular AWD systemmin your Escape.
no,no
My 'new' spare tire would be exactly as what's on Escape now, the 225/65R17 / I'm paranoid about the diameter because of the AWD
But the junkyard Rim originally had a 235mm tire on it.

So my question is: Can you take a 235/55R17 tire off a rim and install a 225/65R17 tire on it ?

Where exactly will you store a full size spare. I doubt it will fit in the back under the floor. At least not without raising the floor 4 plus inches.
I would take it along on long trips (50+ miles) or driving downtown.
Also for rotating the tires (then I won't need two jacks).

I believe the best way to find a slow leak is regularly checking your tire pressure while in the driveway.

I would take it along on long trips (50+ miles) or driving downtown.
Also for rotating the tires (then I won't need two jacks).

I believe the best way to find a slow leak is regularly checking your tire pressure while in the driveway.
I meant where physically will you place it in the vehicle? Just plunk it down in the cargo area?

Your rim will be listed as a 7.5(ish)x17, the 7.5 inches are the width.

Tires come with a chart of rim sizes they do okay on, and the spread is typically an inch and a half, with the OE rims falling somewhere in the middle.

You can look up rims on car-part.com across the years to get the specs yourself.

Back