Rub hard or easy??

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you are applying a wax/protectant do you rub it on hard as if you are scrubbing or do you apply it easily?

I tried to wax the wife's black Expedition over the weekend and I believe that I was rubbing the material to hard when applying. Suggestions??

I normally use my cordless polisher and I try not to apply any significant pressure, as suggested in the manual. Random rotation does the job.
I didn't rub too hard either when I was doing it by hand. It is not like you need to rub the wax INTO the paint.

By the subject, I thought this was in the wrong forum.
lol.gif

I was using 3M Cleaner Wax Light Oxidation Remover. It was hard to remove. I am going back over it with some Meguiars very soon.

thanks for all of the advice.

Well, not hard as to bend the sheet metal, but medium/firm....as required to buff the wax out. Sometimes it's easy, other times it requires a little more effort/pressure depending on how long it's left on, etc...

Check the label on the container. If it says that it removes oxidized paint, then it has a bit of mild abrasive in the formulation. Either way, you don't have to rub hard. Fine, soft abrasive doesn't need hard rubbing to be effective.

Don't worry if it has abrasive... you can wax every week for more than four years and never polish through the clearcoat.

A non cleaning wax, i will apply with just enough pressure to transfer the wax from the applicator- to the paint.

A cleaner wax should be worked in with a slight amount of vigor-depending on the paint condition.

If the paint is in great shape, then apply very gently- just transfering the wax to the paint.

Its my opinion that all cleaner waxes should be topped with a more durable non cleaning wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back