RPM dependent engine groaning sound on friend's 19 Ram V6.

So much for pentastar reliability, seems like FCA vehicles are liability to own.

Update:

He put me on speaker phone so I could hear the conversation. He took his truck to the selling dealership (Chrysler/Dodge) and had them look at it. Just as I had suspected, the bottom left small idler pulley is bad. They told him Chryslers factory powertrain warranty covers the entire powertrain, but does not cover idler pulleys. they went on to tell him his CPO warranty from when he bought the truck would cover it but that he would have to pay a $100 deductible.

After he left the dealership, not leaving his truck there, I did a little bit of reading online and it looks like a lot of complaints have been filed against Chrysler for not covering the idler pulley, which seems to be extremely problematic.

I told him to call Chrysler corporate and explain the situation and find out straight from them whether the idler pulley is covered or not under their factory powertrain warranty. If in fact it’s not, that’s a total sleazeball move by Chrysler imo. I cannot fathom the idea of idler pulleys, which is part of a running engine, not being covered under a factory powertrain warranty, especially when this seems to be a huge problem on Chrysler products.

I will keep you informed on what further develops.

Update:

He put me on speaker phone so I could hear the conversation. He took his truck to the selling dealership (Chrysler/Dodge) and had them look at it. Just as I had suspected, the bottom left small idler pulley is bad. They told him Chryslers factory powertrain warranty covers the entire powertrain, but does not cover idler pulleys. they went on to tell him his CPO warranty from when he bought the truck would cover it but that he would have to pay a $100 deductible.

After he left the dealership, not leaving his truck there, I did a little bit of reading online and it looks like a lot of complaints have been filed against Chrysler for not covering the idler pulley, which seems to be extremely problematic.

I told him to call Chrysler corporate and explain the situation and find out straight from them whether the idler pulley is covered or not under their factory powertrain warranty. If in fact it’s not, that’s a total sleazeball move by Chrysler imo. I cannot fathom the idea of idler pulleys, which is part of a running engine, not being covered under a factory powertrain warranty, especially when this seems to be a huge problem on Chrysler products.

It's $100. Is it really worth the hassle?

It's $100. Is it really worth the hassle?
If it were me, I would pay the $100 deductible and let them fix it. The way I look at situation like that is, would I do that repair for $100? No way! I would gladly pay somebody $100 to let them fix that. I know we’re all diy’ers here, but it sounds like $100 is a bargain to replace that idler pulley imo. I think he’s just upset with the whole situation.

Update:

Powertrain warranty is generally very limited - it is often limited to internally lubricated parts plus a select number of external accessories.

Belt drives (and related components) are usually not covered, that is fairly industry-standard. That is why CPO coverage came into the conversation.

I think what kind of upset him and made him leave was that they were telling him at first the starter is bad and then they said the alternator is bad and then they started talking about several thousand dollars worth of repairs. And then he mentions the idler pulley is where the noise is coming from which is what I told him to say from the beginning, and that’s when they finally agreed, and discussed the certified preowned warranty and the $100 deductible.

I think basically he just lost trust in them and is afraid of them trying to hang him out to dry on the repair bill fixing things that don’t need to be fixed.

Back