Diagnose this clicking

1997 Tacoma RWD, 2.4 I4. 107k. Truck has a quiet clicking sound you can hear at very low speeds. Only happens in gear and when on the gas. It does not happen in N or P. Sounds like it is coming from front end, perhaps under hood on driver’s side. It is not tied to wheel speed.

I can’t tell what happens to it as speed increases because road noise blocks it out. Again, it’s pretty quiet - something a novice might not even notice.

Truck also has a very low idle issue when in drive at stop signs/lights. Idles down under 620 RPM. Idles north of 800 when in neutral. Going to clean IAC valve and see if that cleans that up. Might also check on TPS. Not sure if these could somehow be related.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

I will guess that its a u joint begining to fail.. Look for powdered rust on the u joint spider. No way to tell without guessing by just posting on a forum.

Cleaning the IAC is a good place to start for your low idle speed. I doubt its the TPS from your description.. Idle is usually very erratic with a bad TPS.

You might check for codes.

Bought a brand new 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass. Took it on vacation to MO. Later in the day we opened the windows and heard a clicking from the RH side front wheel. Car had about 500 miles on the odometer. Got to our rental place and jacked it up.

Took hubcap and wheel off. Checked brakes, wheel bearings, etc and found nothing wrong. Put back together except for hubcap and took another test drive. No clicking and had no idea what I did to repair. Reinstalled hubcap and clicking returned. At least there was nothing wrong to ruin our vacation.

Took back to dealer and told them my diagnosis. Could tell they were doubting what I said. Their mechanic tested and came up with the same. Ordered a new hubcap and problem was solved.

First I would check the wheel bearing that side. Low mileage for that as normal wear, but road hazards can cause it. Feel hubs each side after some city driving; high heat on one side can be a quick indicator. Or 3/6/9/12 o’clock wheel test while lifted.

IACV already mentioned; very common on that generation Toyota.

Hawkeye, can you get the car onto a lift and run it slowly up to speed to better hear where clicking might be coming from?

Thanks. I appreciate the ideas so far. U joint makes some sense based on the fact it only happens under throttle. I don’t have access to a lift, unfortunately.

This vehicle has three belts. Is there any way one engages differently under load, and could be exposing a belt or pulley issue?

Bought a brand new 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass. Took it on vacation to MO. Later in the day we opened the windows and heard a clicking from the RH side front wheel. Car had about 500 miles on the odometer. Got to our rental place and jacked it up.

Took hubcap and wheel off. Checked brakes, wheel bearings, etc and found nothing wrong. Put back together except for hubcap and took another test drive. No clicking and had no idea what I did to repair. Reinstalled hubcap and clicking returned. At least there was nothing wrong to ruin our vacation.

Took back to dealer and told them my diagnosis. Could tell they were doubting what I said. Their mechanic tested and came up with the same. Ordered a new hubcap and problem was solved.
This was a common problem with full wheel hubcaps. I used to brush on a little white grease on the hubcap teeth - no more clicking.

Never figured out what the exact mechanism was that would cause the clicking, other than the hubcap was not flat.

This was a common problem with full wheel hubcaps. I used to brush on a little white grease on the hubcap teeth - no more clicking.

Never figured out what the exact mechanism was that would cause the clicking, other than the hubcap was not flat.
Sometimes it's the simple things that can kick your butt. I had never heard of a hubcap making a clicking noise.

All I could think of is we had a brand new car, with problems and we were in a different state on vacation. I was worried about finding a local dealer to fix it under warranty. Then having to find another to drive while repairs were done. I was relieved that it was only a hubcap. You did not hear it with the windows closed.

Back