RPM dependent engine groaning sound on friend's 19 Ram V6.

Riding in my friend's 19 V6 Ram truck last night and I could hear a "groaning" sound that was RPM dependent coming from the engine bay, so I can tell it's definitely engine related and not transmission related. He asked me if I could "hear that noise" and it's very easy to notice. Not knowing much about these vehicles, I thought I would ask the experts here. His truck has 40K-ish miles.

Hard to say without being there...but I would start with the easy stuff...check the belt tensioner and idler pulley...check the pulley/bearing on the other things like alternator or power steering pump (if equipped). You might need to get a mechanics stethoscope to isolate the noise. Does the noise depend on whether or not the AC is on....does it change with AC on or off?

I've heard of people isolate noises to the drive belt system by removing the belt and very briefly running the engine to see if the noise is still present or not. If not, them something along the drive belt is causing the noise...if the noise is still there, then probably something internal to the engine.

I've heard of people isolate noises to the drive belt system by removing the belt and very briefly running the engine to see if the noise is still present or not. If not, them something along the drive belt is causing the noise...if the noise is still there, then probably something internal to the engine.
That's what I would do. It took me seconds to isolate a whining noise coming from my AC compressor doing that.

I had two vehicles with something groaning, convinced it was a power steering pump. In both cases it was the alternator.
Yeah I was thinking that as well. I briefly looked at it last night when he dropped me off, but it was too dark and late for me to get a good look at it and take my time.

Easiest things first. Maybe his oil has thinned so it's noticeably noisey. Check his starting oil vis, see how many miles on the oci and, possibly, recommend an oil change with a, slightly. higher starting vis. .02

Easiest things first. Maybe his oil has thinned so it's noticeably noisey. Check his starting oil vis, see how many miles on the oci and, possibly, recommend an oil change with a, slightly. higher starting vis. .02
He got a fresh oil change about a week ago with PP 0W20. I first had noticed the groaning noise maybe a month or so before his oil change. Before the oil change I had that same thought as well.

A little more added information, I noticed the sound is more prominent while riding inside the truck versus standing outside in front of the engine bay with the hood up.

He got a fresh oil change about a week ago with PP 0W20. I first had noticed the groaning noise maybe a month or so before his oil change. Before the oil change I had that same thought as well.

A little more added information, I noticed the sound is more prominent while riding inside the truck versus standing outside in front of the engine bay with the hood up.
You're on top of it. PUP is a little thicker as is PP5w-30, but, sounds like it's not the oil.

Last edited:
As mentioned above remove drive belts and run. Does it have a mechanical cooling fan? Seen fan clutches that get noisy… If nothing changes with drive belts off then move to the transmission & torque converter. Not sure if a Mopar will allow the converter to be separated from the flex plate enough to crank engine without turning the converter. That would be a good way to isolate the transmission and converter otherwise.

As mentioned above remove drive belts and run. Does it have a mechanical cooling fan? Seen fan clutches that get noisy… If nothing changes with drive belts off then move to the transmission & torque converter. Not sure if a Mopar will allow the converter to be separated from the flex plate enough to crank engine without turning the converter. That would be a good way to isolate the transmission and converter otherwise.
That's another thing...could it be loose torque converter bolts or a cracked flex plate....but I would think that would be more of a 'metallic' sound...

It’s definitely not speed influenced but rpm influenced. I really couldn’t hear it outside of the vehicle when I had him rev it slightly. If I see him this weekend I’ll check it out very thoroughly.

It’s interesting that the sound is prominent inside the cab but not standing outside of the truck. Anything like an alternator, a tensioner, etc…will still be heard standing outside of the truck. Is it possible that this may be due to the “active noise cancellation” drone that I have read about? 🤔
I have no personal experience with this situation, but it may be something to look into as an explanation for the ”groan” that you guys are experiencing. Just Google it and you’ll see what I’m talking about. 🍻

It’s interesting that the sound is prominent inside the cab but not standing outside of the truck. Anything like an alternator, a tensioner, etc…will still be heard standing outside of the truck. Is it possible that this may be due to the “active noise cancellation” drone that I have read about? 🤔
I have no personal experience with this situation, but it may be something to look into as an explanation for the ”groan” that you guys are experiencing. Just Google it and you’ll see what I’m talking about. 🍻
Think the active noise cancelling is:
1. Only on the DT's
2. Only applies to the HEMI

If it's what I'm thinking it is, there are frame-mounted dampers that are supposed to cancel-out the MDS rumble. The truck in the OP is a Pentastar, so it would not have MDS, nor ANC.

Think the active noise cancelling is:
1. Only on the DT's
2. Only applies to the HEMI

If it's what I'm thinking it is, there are frame-mounted dampers that are supposed to cancel-out the MDS rumble. The truck in the OP is a Pentastar, so it would not have MDS, nor ANC.
I didn’t even think about it being a Pentastar as opposed to a Hemi,…even though he said as much in his post. I just remember reading about a problem with the active noise cancellation system causing a ”drone” in the cabin, and after reading his post, that’s the first thing that came to mind after he mentioned that there was no noticeable noise outside.
I thought that it was an option on other vehicles without the Hemi, I may be mistaken though. Like I said, I have no experience with the system, but from memory, it has to do with the speakers in all four corners of the headliner canceling out engine and road noise from outside.

Last edited:
After a quick search before bedtime, I believe the frame mounted dampers that you’re thinking of are different than the ANC system that I’m thinking of. I believe that the ANC was an “option” on others while being standard on Hemi equipped Ram’s. There again, I remember reading about it, but I don’t remember the specifics, I could be mistaken. That’s some research for tomorrow. 😉
It’s been a long week and I’ve had couple of beers to wind down and now the week is catching up to me.

Riding in my friend's 19 V6 Ram truck last night and I could hear a "groaning" sound that was RPM dependent coming from the engine bay, so I can tell it's definitely engine related and not transmission related. He asked me if I could "hear that noise" and it's very easy to notice. Not knowing much about these vehicles, I thought I would ask the experts here. His truck has 40K-ish miles.
Is your friends truck the classic or the new body style? Does it have the 3.6l E-Torque? If so, could it possibly be something with that system causing the sound? 🤔
I’m just curious as to why you can’t hear it while outside with the hood up but you can while inside the cab.

Is your friends truck the classic or the new body style? Does it have the 3.6l E-Torque? If so, could it possibly be something with that system causing the sound? 🤔
I’m just curious as to why you can’t hear it while outside with the hood up but you can while inside the cab.
His is the new body style. It has a badge on the back that says Lone Star.

Back