RP/5W30/7,950/00mustang GT v8

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sons 00 mustang GT 4.6L with a few mods i.e. Tad hotter cam, headers, exhaust, CAI, tune, auto with shiftkit. He spent 4 weekends at the 1/4 drags that I know of and at least 20 passes. His avg time around 13.5 in the 1/4. Mods were all on when he purchased car. He has fun, but college student so no more mods for now

77,186 on car
7,950 on oil with 11 months of use
normal run on this oil is short trips of 2 to 10 miles and the longest hi-way trip was 40 miles. This is a short trip car for sure.

car was down almost 1 qt so we had oil changed instead of adding oil. Temp thru year ranged from 20f to 99f
Royal Purple 5w-30 with 1 qt of 5w20 this was the SL oil with synerlac (car was back-spected to 5w-20) 5 qt sump
Fram extended gard oil filter
K&N CAI cone filter

Had fuel injectors cleaned at shop using MotorVac machine and this has always given me a little bump in the cooper readings then goes back to normal- no exception here . forgot to mention it to Blackstone.

bought RP on sale for $4.95 per quart
not concerned about purple color considered it Marketing
first run of RP in this car
changed oil using 4qts RP synerlac SL 5w30 and 1 qt of 5w-20 and RP oil filter
it did not seem to shear even with the short trips or the time of 11 months of the OCI
seemed like good bang for the buck

Per Blackstone

were not sure 12 ppm of copper is enough to call a problem, but its enough to keep an eye on it next time, Copper is from brass/bronze parts. Other metals are steady, which is nice to see considering this oil saw a longer than avg oil run. There is no contamination present in the oil that might be cause for concern, and the TBN of 2.9 shows some active additive left
Try 9,000 miles next time

alu / 6
chr / 2
iron / 22
copper / 12
lead / 1
tin / 0
moly / 113
nic / 1
mang / 1
sil / 0
titam / 0
pot / 1
boron / 16
sil / 19
sod / 17
cal / 2238
magne / 1056
phos / 808
zinc / 949
barum / 0

SUS vis 210f / 57.5
cst vis 100c / 9.50
flashpt / 400
fuel less / 0.5
antifrz / 0
water / 0
ins / 0.4
TBN / 2.9

What are the UAs and what mileage are they based upon?

Hard to judge much when no unit or market history are provided.

RP 5w30 starts out at 11.0 cSt, and this sample is now 9.5.
I'm thinking more and more that RP has a problem with shear.

Good report, good value for $4.50 a quart if you're getting 11 months service out of it. Lather, rinse repeat
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
RP 5w30 starts out at 11.0 cSt, and this sample is now 9.5.
I'm thinking more and more that RP has a problem with shear.

I think there SL rated oil has a shearing problem. I know there 5W30 SN approved oil, along with being Dexos1 probably does not have a shearing issue. With Dexos1 you are required to be shear stable. I would agree with you haven't seen to many royal purple u.o.a's that didn't sheer. I think my Royal Purple in my Chryser 300 is already sheared at 300 miles of use, just because engine is noiser than prior oils. I can't wait to do a u.o.a on my royal purple. One thing I did notice with Royal Purple you don't get huge spikes in wear do to the shearing, so that's a good thing I guess, but because it shears maybe that's how the claim to get increased horsepower.

Dexos1 may require an oil to be shear stable for licensing. However, RP claims to meet dexos1 and is not officially licensed. Aside from that, we don't see enough UOAs to know for sure about any shearing, in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Dexos1 may require an oil to be shear stable for licensing. However, RP claims to meet dexos1 and is not officially licensed. Aside from that, we don't see enough UOAs to know for sure about any shearing, in my opinion.

How come is says Dexos 1 right on the front label of the bottle. Seen at at Meijers Grocery Store and Autozone in my area..

Originally Posted By: Topo
How come is says Dexos 1 right on the front label of the bottle. Seen at at Meijers Grocery Store and Autozone in my area..

Because they claim it meets or exceeds. If you can't find the dexos1 logo on the bottle, find the license number, or find it on the dexos1 list, it's not certified. They simply chose not to pay GM's royalty fees, but feel they meet the specification anyhow. I have zero reason to doubt them, but meeting dexos1 and being actually licensed are not the same thing.

Check here. That's the list of dexos1 approved oils, along with an example of the dexos1 official logo.

you might be forgetting that as I posted this UOA is only 4 qts of Royal Purple 5W-30 and 1 qt 5W-20 which is 20% 5w-20 and most trips over the 11 months were under 10 miles the TBN was 2.9. I am sure if it was a full sump of 5w-30 the cST Vis 100 would have been upwards of 10 or above.

In comparison to my 95 T-bird with the same basic V-8 in milder form using a 1 yr OCI with Valvoline 10W-30 semi-syn Max-life on only a 2,000 mile run of mostly hi-way miles gave me a Cst 100 vis of only 9.68 and a TBN of 3.3

Blackstone did not give me a mileage avg for their universal averages but from my T-bird OCI report they referred to an average run of 4,600 miles posted below was the Mustang universal averages of I assume of around 4,600 miles

ALU / 3
CHR / 1
IRON / 14
COPPER / 5
LEAD / 2
TIN / 1
MOLY / 62
NICK / 1
MANG / 2
SIL / 0
TIT / 0
POT / 1