Royal Purple is equal to what oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The API stuff appears to use the Na detergent system, also used by Valvoline. It is a Lubrizol additive package. With that said, I would say RP is similar to Valvoline on a very general level.

The ONLY reason to ever consider RP is if you believe Synerlec is that good.

Originally Posted By: askani79705
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Wanted to see Mobil 1 EP in there
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The only other oil it's equal to is Conklin Convoy.

RP and CC are the only oils on the market that come in colors.

Nope. Brad Penn is green, as well as Schaeffer. Valvoline VR1, and their diesel offering is blue. RP is as good as any other oil that carries the same ratings.

Depends on the API class of the RP. Some versions of RP were API SL, and had about as much phosphorous as the API allowed back then.

I don't really know if the new stuff is special.

I think all motor oils oughtta have a color of some kind.

Pennzoil says their new Platinum is clear; how boring is that ?
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
The API stuff appears to use the Na detergent system, also used by Valvoline. It is a Lubrizol additive package. With that said, I would say RP is similar to Valvoline on a very general level.

The ONLY reason to ever consider RP is if you believe Synerlec is that good.

I had also noticed that RP was very similar to Valvoline Synpower.
I certainly couldn't justify spending more for RP when Synpower is so reasonable in the 5 qt. jug.

For one, we don't know what's in RP beyond a cheap VOA. Aside from that, I highly doubt RP came out with their API line as a full on assault against Ashland, BP, SOPUS, or XOM. They probably got a bit of pressure from regular RP customers about getting an oil out there with the current API and ILSAC specifications.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
I dont see a point in spending RP prices when any api sm or sn can EASILY get your car to 250,000+ miles when changed by OM or OLM

That's exactly my thought.
I bought some RP at the AZ clearance but at $37 for 5 quarts I'd pass (and use one of the other $25 for 5 qts syns.)
RP does seem very similar to VSP so if I liked that type oil (no moly, high sodium, high calcium etc..) I'd go with VSP.

Old GC was fluorescent green.
Brad Penn is emerald green.
SWEPCO 306 is purple.
Arco Graphite was black.

But anyways, AMSoil funded a study of various high-end synthetics last year, and RP was in it:

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

This is the only comparative data I know of showing RP's characteristics and performance against competing oils. Their data sheets online aren't very informative. RP looked pretty good in this study. If I could find it for qt everyday, I would probably try it.

Last edited:
Back in the day, one of the reasons to buy RP was for its rich additive pack, if one's engine needed it. The RP sold at Walmart is now API SM/SN certified, and as such has been castrated of all these extra additives, so it makes it no different from any other API oils on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Just curious what oil from Walmart... that Royal Purple is equal to?

Supertech

+1, I am surprise that Walmart sticks it just left of Mobil 1 on the shelf and not next to Super Tech

According to walmart
1) Mobil 1
2) Royal Purple
3) Castrol Edge
4) Valvoline
5) Pennz
6) Quacker State
7) SuperTech

did I miss one?

Disclaimer:
I like royal purple as a company and I like,have used and have seen engine tear downs where royal purple with synerlec was the only oil used and I was impressed with what I saw ,so I do believe in the synerlec flavoured stuff however as far as the API stuff is concerned I'm confident it's as good as any other API oil.

Royal Purple is to synthetic oil as synthetic oil is to...

A) Royal Purple
B) Liquid Laundry Detergent
C) Dole Bananas
D) Poyle Rurple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back