Royal Purple 5w30 or heavier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Nissan Titan the manufacturer calls for 5w30, I want to switch to Royal Purple now that I have 9,000 on the truck. I use this as my everyday driver but also tow a 4,000lb boat quite often. Should I use a heavier weight oil, or will the 5w30 be fine?

Thanks for your help, I am new to the site.

welcome.gif
to BITOG.

5w30 will be fine. Carry on.
smile.gif

thanks wavinwayne, any recomendations on filter I should use. I was thinking purolater. And a 5,000 mile change interval.

Thanks again.

For the money, Carquest I think is the best. They are made by WIX.

Carquest shells are the thinnest of any filter made. They scare me.

Any 5w30 synthetic with any name brand filter @5k intervals is excellent.

Towing 2 tons? I'd worry about the so-called fragile rearend! Since that is now broken in too, I'd dump the factory fill and get a good 140wt synth gear oil. And, if budget allows, a bigger diff cover for more fluid capacity.

Undummy, Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the rearend problems some have had. I have already drained and dumped in some royal purple 75w140 @4,000 miles, and will repeat this weekend, just so I know its all purple now. I will prob go ahead with the purolater just because it is readily available.

Thanks for the help guy's.

While I think that RP's gear oil is a solid product I have my doubts about their oils!! I especialy do not like what I have seen in Toyota's running their 5W30 or 10W30 street oils. In every case oils costing much less or with greater availability performed better. In almost every case their was excessive shearing of the oil wich is not good if we are talking about a synthetic 5W30! I would say run it and do a UOA to see how it is doing in this application. I think that regular Mobil-1 has in almost all cases out performed RP street oils.

Now I will say that their (RP)15W40 seems to hold up great and their raceing oils also seem to do well. If I really wanted to run a 30Wt. longterm I would either go with GC 0W30,Redline 5W30,Synergen 3W30LTS or Amsoil S3K 5W30. Heck for 5000 mile interval you are planing I would even consider Mobil7500 10W30 it is a GIII,IV,V product with GIII makeing up most of the base stock. That would run you roughly $2.59 a quart and would easily give you most of the synthetic benifits for your proposed 5000 mile interval at a much better cost.

Thanks for the info Johnbrowning. Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "shearing"? Reading through this site I see alot of people talking about GC, what is this and where can it be obtained? Is it just Castrol oil made in Germany?? I definately want a quality oil in my crank. I do not have any experience in the oil feild, but always see guy's on tv shows (trucks, extreme 4X4 ect....) using Royal purple and thought it was prob the best you could get. Boy am I getting a lesson on this site. Maybe I will get Redline instead....

quote:

Originally posted by titantruck:
Reading through this site I see alot of people talking about GC, what is this and where can it be obtained? Is it just Castrol oil made in Germany??

Yes, it is German made Castrol Syntec 0W-30 available in the U.S. only at AutoZone stores.

More info available in the GC & Euro/Import Oils forum.

quote:

Originally posted by AndyH:

quote:

Originally posted by titantruck:
Reading through this site I see alot of people talking about GC, what is this and where can it be obtained? Is it just Castrol oil made in Germany??

Yes, it is German made Castrol Syntec 0W-30 available in the U.S. only at AutoZone stores.

More info available in the GC & Euro/Import Oils forum.

Can it be special ordered from AutoZone, or if they stopped carrying it (in certain areas?), how does one obtain it?? Any mail order possibilities???

You say 0W-30, is that the only weight it comes in. I would like to stick with my manufacturers rating, which is 5W-30.

Correct, GC is only available as a 0W-30. The Castrol Syntec 5W-30 oil is totally different, and can't be compared with GC.

My STi manual recommends 5W-30 as well, but I have no problem using the superior GC 0W-30. Afterall, they're both 30-weight oils at 100C. In fact, GC is often thicker at 100C than many other similar weight oils (M1 5W-30, M1 10W-30, Syntec 5W-30, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back