Royal Purple/5W-30, 9,140 oci, 08 impala SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came back from an extended 25 day vacation drove my 08 Impala SS V8. Tried Royal Purple in this vehicle for first time, ran very smooth and did not shear. Hiway mpg worked out (on paper) to 27.2 mpg, car has a fuel management/ displacement on demand feature and it worked great. Used my Drivers information display to fine tune it for longer run time in 4 cyl mode, for example when speed limit was 75 (but most drive around 80) I would check the readout and at 80 mph it was in 8 cyl mode and give me an instant mpg reading of say 24 mpg, then by slowing to say 78 mph it would stay in 4 cyl mode for the given road and altitude/wind condition and give me and instant reading of 31 mpg.

Ran the oil to 9,140 miles, OLM was at 12% snd sump was over 1/2 qt low so instead of adding oil, I changed it. Last post was using Synpower and a 1 yr oci, and things improved during my longer hiway run. This car has a factory oil cooler which may add to the copper reading. Oil sample was from the Fram xtended guard oil filter which the oil tech punched a hole in. here is my Blackstone report:

GM 5.3L 327 v8 28,220 miles on unit
Royal purple 5W-30, 9140 on oil, 0 makeup

my car / univ avg

alum 5 / 3
chrom 1 / 1
iron 11 / 19
cop 47 / 31
lead 2 / 9
tin 5 / 1
moly 162 / 68
nick 1 / 1
mangan 1 / 2
silvr 0 / 0
titan 0 / 0
potas 1 / 3
boron 14 / 51
silicn 10 / 12
sodium 36 / 23
calc 2192 / 2233
magnes 1182 / 127
phos 782 / 686
zinc 981 / 845
bari 0 / 0

/ should be
sus vis 210f / 59.2 / 54-61
cst vis 100c / 10 / 8.5-10.8
flashpt f / 420 / > 365
antifrz / 0 / 0
water / 0
insol / 0.4 / < 0.6
TBN / 6.1

Blackstone:
The second sample from your impala looks a little better than what we saw back in july and thats excellent considering this oil was run a lot longer than that was. The drop in copper was expected and that shows the last remnants of wear-in at brass/bronze parts washing out of the engine. It should read below average next time. All other wear looks great and the oil was still in good shape physically. The TBN was strong at 6.1, so lots of active additive was left. 12% left on the OLM seems a bit conservative. try going 11,000 miles next and check back.

Indeed, should have probably ran it down to 0% on the OLM. Not sure how it will hold up using a 1 yr 7K short trip oci, as that last trip will be it - as far as running up the miles fast.
I changed the oil to GC 0w-30 in the Impala, to use up my stash. But bought more RP when it was still on sale, and will try it in some of my other cars.

Looks great. RP seems to be more of an extended OCI oil than it gets credit for. The TBN is always strong when there aren't serious issues.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Looks great. RP seems to be more of an extended OCI oil than it gets credit for. The TBN is always strong when there aren't serious issues.

It really is. Tbn retention is always great with RP.

Bearings would be my guess...but I don't know if it is from physical wear or the oil's chemistry. Whatever it is seems to be very common on UOA's from low mileage 5.3L engines.

Excellent report BTW.

The engine is equipped with an oil cooler amd that could be a source of some of that higher than normal copper numbers.

I will plan to run RP for next summers vacation hiway trip. My SS drove great, quick thru the twisted curves and fast up the mountains, made several quick passes up to unmentionable speeds and the engine heat never went over the half-way mark on my temp gauge.

Originally Posted By: cchase
This OLM is tuned for conventional is it not? If that's the case, that would be a 10k OCI on conventional.

Yep. But it might not have looked quite as good at the 12-10% mark. There will be limits to any oil in a gas engine. No filtering or practical chemical buffering can alter the effects. That's why most of the wizards don't see a point to bypass filtration on gasoline. You can control the insolubles as much as you like, but without volume to offset the insults, you're cleaning up damaged lube. Oxidation, Nitration, and TAN would have given more information in projecting some end of life for the sump.

..but there's no two ways about it, this could have gone a decent clip longer.

On the Cu, don't these engines throw copper anyway? I may be off on the engine (remember, I'm fanboy neutral
grin2.gif
) , but it was the cam bearings, iirc. If it wasn't a characteristic element signature, you would swear it's something going south ..and quick.

Good looking report! We don't see many RP reports with this mileage, so it's great info.

Also looking good on the Fram filter. The XG seems to working nicely for you.

After the oil change I forgot to reset my OLM system (it has to be re-set manually on the dash) anyway after about a week and 120 miles later I reset it. Dont think it would have ended up much more than 1% or 2% lower though. So probably figure 10% or 11% oil life left according to the OLM -which assumes I have used regular Dino oil.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
47 Cu is from what?

This engine is a 5.3L LS4. All the LS-x motors seem to shed copper. It's discussed here ad nauseum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back