Roy Clark has gone to pickin heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was known for music and comedy, and mixing them. But I still recall his dramatic song turn on "Yesterday, When I Was Young."

Roy Clark, Glen Campbell, Jerry Reed - all entertainers I watched as a kid and had absolutely no clue that they were incredible players. RIP

In the early 70's, we only had one TV, so what my parents wanted to watch is pretty much what we kids watched. So when my Dad watched Hee Haw, so did we if we were anywhere near the TV.

I'll always remember the funny faces he would make while playing his banjo.

RIP Roy.

When in college at Indiana University, I worked at the airport just outside of town. Roy Clark flew in to meet his tour bus. I was a fueler and flight line attendant and I carried his luggage to his bus. I came back into the FBO office and listened to him tell a few stories. I don't remember the stories, but what I do remember was what a humble and grateful man he was. I told him my Dad never missed an episode of Hee Haw and that it was a staple growing up in our house. He just beamed and said thank you over and over and talked of how blessed his life had been. He then gave me a $100 bill as he left to get on his bus and thanked me for carrying his things.

What a talent and what a wonderful, sweet and nice man he was. I'll never forget meeting him.

I didn't love their music as a kid (forced to watch Hee Haw), but I grew to appreciate Roy and Buck tremendously when I got a little older. Now I love seeing the old re-runs and hearing them play.

I'm a pickin and I'm a grinnin. I liked that nonsense. In the middle of the Navajo Nation, we received one channel if atmosphere was right, and we got used to seeing these great musicians. Wished I could relive the seventies again.

frown.gif
..... It dates many of us.

Cool airport story.

I didn't come from a musical family. When I saw Roy Clark or any of those guys on TV I thought everybody who played was that good. Silly me

As a counterpoint, my friend's daughter got married on Friday and they hired what HAD to have been a cheap trio of "country music" players.

They were beyond foul. They were just 3 fat guys with beards who appeared never to have met each other before. Forget about ever having rehearsed together.

They bumbled on stage.

Another great talent gone...back in '82 when I was at Lackland AFB going through basic training, our flight was given a choice for an off base pass...we could either go see Roy Clark perform, or go to the drag strip...I went to the drag strip...I now wish I had gone to see Roy instead...RIP Mr. Clark

Roy Clark had a sense of humor, yes even with David Letterman at the helm. (WARNING: Viewers may find this silly.)::

Many of us from that time had the same experience. One television in the house and you watched what the folks watched or nothing.

In the Fox article it mentioned that Roy played Yesterday, When I Was Young in the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Mickey Mantle was a guest and the performance moved him to tears. He asked Roy to play that at his funeral when that time came, it moved him so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back