Roofing shingle choice

I was reading a short book on asphalt shingles called Roofing Ripoff. The author seems to have a pretty good knowledge of home building. He compared how shingles were made many decades ago with how they are made today. Basically less asphalt. The shingles weigh less. And even though you may get a long warranty it's typically only for shingle manufacturing defects.

The net is shingles made today even though they are fiberglass, last about 1/2 as long as shingles made several decades ago.

To net things out, if you want a shingle to last a really long time you need one made with SBS. Several shingle companies have an SBS shingle. But it's more expensive.

Has anyone looked into this and decided on a shingle made with SBS? GAF sells the Timberline ArmorShield II.

Some may say if it lasts 10 years I will be in another house.

metal roofs can be problematic too.

I think some recommend the roof to be strapped with 1x4 strapping.

the OSB doesn't hold as well and if screws are over tightened it can cause damage to the rubber gaskets. Too loose, and they will leak moisture as well.

I have heard that the holes in the metal roofing will eventually egg out too, just because of heat cold cycles and metal contraction - expansion.
I like the standing seam hidden fastener metal roof design.

I still prefer the look of shingles on a residential roof myself. I think the fiberglass shingles should hold up better than the older style 3 tab shingles, but maybe I am optimistic.

I went with a standard metal roof a few years ago. I've never heard of anyone having issues with screw grommets or the holes associated with the screws, but anything can happen.

The problem I have with my metal roof is with snow/ice movement. It's incredibly destructive to any roof penetrations or anything in its path. Ice rails or cleats help, but also hold leaves, sticks and debris.

going to need to replace my roof within the next few years, going with metal for sure

I am having a roof replaced now on my sisters home. She isn't there anymore so I have to get it ready to sell. I have an independent contractor doing it. He has replaced 5 roofs for me so far and this is number 6. All have been replaced with GAF architectural shingles that are heavy weight. Our main home has had this roof now for 3 years and has a very little rock migration or stiffening. I have been happy with it. By the way, my contractor just did a job at the VA to replace all 3600 screws on their metal roof for leaking and the screws coming loose.

the OSB doesn't hold as well and if screws are over tightened it can cause damage to the rubber gaskets. Too loose, and they will leak moisture as well.

I have heard that the holes in the metal roofing will eventually egg out too, just because of heat cold cycles and metal contraction - expansion.

I still prefer the look of shingles on a residential roof myself. I think the fiberglass shingles should hold up better than the older style 3 tab shingles, but maybe I am optimistic.
My neighbor behind me had a metal roof installed. Apparently either you have to ask or some companies are better about using a shim when installing a metal roof keeping the screws from wallowing out.

I was reading a short book on asphalt shingles called Roofing Ripoff. The author seems to have a pretty good knowledge of home building. He compared how shingles were made many decades ago with how they are made today. Basically less asphalt. The shingles weigh less. And even though you may get a long warranty it's typically only for shingle manufacturing defects.

The net is shingles made today even though they are fiberglass, last about 1/2 as long as shingles made several decades ago.

To net things out, if you want a shingle to last a really long time you need one made with SBS. Several shingle companies have an SBS shingle. But it's more expensive.

Has anyone looked into this and decided on a shingle made with SBS? GAF sells the Timberline ArmorShield II.

Some may say if it lasts 10 years I will be in another house.
We are in N. Texas and had our roof replaced 2 years ago due to hail damage. We paid a little out of pocket to upgrade to the Level 4 impact resistant shingles from GAF and received a 35 percent reduction in our annual homeowner's insurance premium. Not on the level of a metal roof, but still cost-effective protection. As with anything like this, the install determines longevity

The guy who wrote the book Roofing Ripoff suggested they went to fiberglass for two reasons:
1) it's stronger and they could run the roofing machines at 2 or 3 times the speed they could when they used cardboard/wood fiber
2) since fiberglass does not rot they no longer needed to soak the cardboard/wood fiber in unoxidized asphalt.

So unsure if it actually produces a better shingle.

SBS is what they add to asphalt to make the glue on the back of regular shingles. It's also used in the spray and cover with gravel road repair. Fiberglass shingles still get impregnated with asphalt.

Felt is what they used before.

I had Certainteed Landmark Pro shingles installed instead on my first home build in 2017 and my current home built in 2022. No streaks on either home yet. Both homes had amish crews that hand nailed it.

I had GAF shingles that fight streaks on my first house installed on a re-roof in 2016. It's now my younger sisters house and the roof still looks great and is streak free 8 years later.

I'm currently looking for land in Delaware county, OH and my next home will have a zinc roof along with zinc gutters, zinc leader heads.. .

SBS is what they add to asphalt to make the glue on the back of regular shingles. It's also used in the spray and cover with gravel road repair. Fiberglass shingles still get impregnated with asphalt.

Felt is what they used before.
The old cardboard/wood fiber shingles were saturated with unoxidized asphalt and then coated with oxidized asphalt. Like an M&M.

Fiberglass are a one step process using only oxidized asphalt.

Right SBS is an additive but it seems like only to the expensive line of shingles.

I had Certainteed Landmark Pro shingles installed instead on my first home build in 2017 and my current home built in 2022. No streaks on either home yet. Both homes had amish crews that hand nailed it.

I had GAF shingles that fight streaks on my first house installed on a re-roof in 2016. It's now my younger sisters house and the roof still looks great and is streak free 8 years later.

I'm currently looking for land in Delaware county, OH and my next home will have a zinc roof along with zinc gutters, zinc leader heads.. .
The old roofs were sometimes terne metal roofs.

Also read that acid rain caused some issues for some types of metal roofs.

You can get strips of zinc to put on the ridges of the rood to fight algae. The IKO shingle company I worked for a while made their own asphalt out of bunker oil on site.

Back